• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whitesand has 3 inches of ice on the East side. Saw a few anglers on the southern hole this afternoon.

just got off of pelican a small bay out there and is a ton of people 3 to 4 inchs of ice a few other lakes we tried were not ready yet

11236_197278745705_531985705_3571991_504

fishing today on a small lake in the area, the fishing was slow but it was nice to be on the ice

Drove by a few lakes this afternoon. Gull main lake looked a little wet yet running from the bluff south. Round had one open spot near the southwest side. North Long 371 is iced up all the way accross and a couple of anglers off the north side. Nisswa lake was froze up and had one portable out there. Couple of more days and we should have a good start. Early ice can be fun but it is also a time we need to be careful and use our heads. With these cold temps waiting even one day can make a big difference. The forecast is looking great.

Jason Erlandson

got out on a little lake today. 3 inches of good ice. caught a few crappies sure was nice to get back on the hard water again!

Yeah, some of you guys are pretty nuts. Especially the picture of the hole that looks like its 1.5-2 inches of ice! However, I am hoping to get up to my cabin this weekend in Pine River. Its a small 85 acre lake so I'm hoping that with the single digit highs this week there will be 5-6 inches of ice by then. Wishful thinking?

Went to little bowstring up by deer river 4'' of ice caught some nice perch couple northerns and a 18'' eye. It was fun to get out and and get into them.

Looks like Gull Blew open last night. Hopefully the wind doesn't mess things up too bad.

Jason Erlandson

Sounds like most of the area's smaller lakes are walkable now. I'm thinking about heading home this weekend from school to finally get on the ice.

So.....how many where out on ROund this afternoon???....saw about 7? houses out and about 10 trucks there along 371

went out last night and caught a limit of eyes from 14 to 16 inches and let go a few even smaller and lost one at the hole that was about 25 inches on the north end off gull in about 27 fow ice was between 2 and 6 inches with 6 being close to shore

Yea I live in brainerd. and fish gull alot for walleyes winter and summer. I would tell you where I was at but I plan on takeing my boys out this afternoon and would like one more quite day of fishing then you can have the gps cord if you like . As by then the hole lake will be fishable

Great report Kingfish! Good luck today, hope you and your kids get them again. We caught some really nice fish this fall out there. I'm glad that they are still biting. Should be a great start to the winter season on the north end of the lake.

Jason Erlandson

Dodge dakota, and small 4 wheel drive truck out to the center, and full size running north side from landing

Things are shaping up to be a great weekend around the Nisswa area. The ice conditions are great, with most anglers walking or taking sleds/atvs out to the hot spots. The ice has been 7-10 inches in most places and not much snow, maybe 3-4 inches. I still advise checking as you go, you just never can be too safe. Crappies are going good so far on many of the smaller lakes. Some of my favorites are the Gull Chain, Sibley, West Twin, Clamshell, and Gladston. The walleye action is getting better on the bigger lakes. There are good reports coming from the north end of Gull, mid lake of North Long, the south end of Pelican as well as some of the mid lake rocks. Crappies have been chowing down on Demon jigs, Ratsos, or even a plain hook and minnow. For walleyes don't forget to grab a couple of Northland Buckshop spoons. Tip it with a minnow head and you are all set. We also have a bunch of new and re-sharpened auger blades to get you started for the season. Good luck and we'll see you on the water.

Jason Erlandson

Question related to Walleye: I seem to keep having trouble catching them in the winter. I use buckshot spoons and others, but when they come in to take a look they do not bite (camera) I have lots of fish come in and look but very few bites. I have tried multiple presentations but seem to get very few "hits" I do catch 1-2 a day but still would like to learn more.