• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

with a breeze and mid 20s if you guys are walking on the ice ill be looking for your names in the newspaper as the first people to fall in the ice this year

its good to hear something is freezing up i will have to go check some of my early ice spots but is is looking good for the weekend lets cross the fingers and hope

i just drove by north long(371 bay ) and i dont believe even with the temps this week you going to get on any ice around here

crow is bigger than the bay i think not sure how deep it is

but the bay is mostly mud a15ft max in a spot or 2 probably

avgs 7-8 ft i kinda watch that as like a measuring tool

if that aint froze you aint fishing to many places up here

one thing is when they say the high is 40 you lucky if it gets to that for more than a couple hrs its below freezing alot longer

but i'm gettin old i'll watch you first ice guys for a couple weeks...lol i have fish in the freezer lol

I think some of the shallow bays will have walkable ice by weekend. Starting wed a cold front comes in with highs in20's and lows in single figures and maybe below 0 this weekend. I can wait till I see someone out there actually walking though. Dont need to be first one

I don't think there will be much fishing at all by the 12/12 weekend. I hope I'm wrong, I'll be driving north till I find ice on that weekend. Heck I fished all weekend this last weekend. Felt good to set the hook open water one last time.

With little bays as long as you can get the skim ice overnight the wind sheltered areas should be able to build ice all day as long as the temps are below freezing. I'm going to start throwing rocks on the ice in the shallow bays I see with ice, if it doesn't go through I'm going to test it and walk if I think it's safe (2 inches or better). There might even be ice by Thursday...

YA I'd say its possialbe by the 12th thats a week and half

And ya theres always some brave(or not smart lol) guys out early

I admit being in the boat fishing and 3 days later on the ice in the same spot and caught fish on both trips (walleyes)

small lake and very well wind protected

but i was young then to lol

Alot of the little lakes and bays in the breezy point area have been freezing over. at night but this almost 40 degree weather buring day and the high winds is not helping us out.the temp is supposed to drop below freezing and be like that for awhile. went out on sunday open water crappie fishing in one of our ice fishing spots and we had good luck caught about 30 12+in crappies

well I did get out on Friday the 27 of November and went out on Cross Lake....tried walleye fishing and missed one bite then I pulled some cranks and didn't get a thing..oh well a beautiful afternoon on the big waters in a small boat!

most of the small lakes and bays froze over completely should be ready like kingfish said sunday. mooseo bay nelson bay and jones bay were frozen this morning. mollie lake was also completly frozen over will check on my way home and keep you posted on other surrounding lakes.

Just took a drive around the area and heres what I saw:

North Long 371 Bay mostly iced over

Round-open some ice starting on the west side

Margaret- mostly iced over

Nisswa-open,Hubert-open,Edward-open,East/West Twin-open

Lower Cullen-open

Pelican Jones Bay-mostly iced still had a couple open spots

ya i just drove by north long i'm thinkin sunday some one will

be on the bay

i'm wondering bout merrifield bay i think i'll drive over there

in the morning

just checked the ice on a smaller lake east of brainerd and could not walk on the ice yet but had around a half inch

just checked the ice on a smaller lake east of brainerd and could not walk on the ice yet but had around a half inch

Same here, but the lake was still open in the middle. Half inch or so near shore.

Checked today goodrich, loon, and the dagget channel on the wfc all about the same 1.5 to 2 inch near shore. All these lakes have been ice covered for a day or two. I need 4 inch before I will consider it. Next week im thinking, yeah it would suck to get wet, but it would suck even more to watch all you gear drop through into the depths.

Just took a drive and most of the lakes have locked up. Pelican was still open. Gull was iced over with about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Heres a pic of Gull looking out from 371 access at 4pm.

firsticeGull001-1.jpg

I also took a drive this evening. Checked Rice, Round, North Long and some Mississippi back water. Some back water looked to be the only thing fishable.. I was hoping to be on Round or North Long Sunday evening but I think I will wait. There was maybe two inches close to shore on everything else I checked.

Next year we should all just get a bus and drive around to all these lakes!! I took the kids on a tour today!! I'm looking to Wednesday for my first jaunt!!

I will be out tomorrow afternoon, checked a small lake and there was around 4in and about 15 ppl fishing

going to head out and check Jones bay this morning i hope their is enough ice out their if not got a couple other spots i can go to this afternoon

I was on rice lake this morning the ice is still not ready it held me up but i did not go out very far but the ice was cracking alot and I dont think it would have held me if i had jumped or fallen down. I was listening to the police scanner this am and a dog went through the ice on wilson bay and his owner went out to help him and also went througso be smart and safe out there