• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Last time I was out the gills I got were mostly small, a few nice ones mixed in, but I never fish specifically for gills, always for crappies. The only time that I will fish them is if I am getting big ones and there isn't much sorting. Lonie I will be out tomorrow around 9 with a buddy I will look for ya, are you heading east or west from the dnr access?

was catching them east of the dnr access but slowed down alot. lots of small ones with some alright ones mixed in. dad went out saturday and only got 1 small sunny and a real nice perch but thats it. we were getting limits of crappies out there but thats been weeks ago.

I will also be on madison tomorrow looking for crappy and sunnies. How are you guys getting on the lake. Just look for the blue trail blazer and say hi. If we all drill holes, I'm sure we can find some fish

Duane

I just got home from mad. Very slow with lots of small shad still. Maybe wait till a few weeks before I try again.....BT

Either nobody is fishing or they are biting and nobody is willing to share I guess, might just have to give it a go and find out for myself tomorrow.

Phil, you only waited ~3 hours for a response. Patience must not be your middle name but don't feel bad. It's not mine either.

Madison does have some really nice gills in the lake. They are sometimes hard to come by though. I have never really targeted them in the winter but late spring thru the summer they are usually hanging out in the 12-20ft. range.

I'll be gunn'in on the wheeler. Not sure where I'll be, east of the narrows? May not hang around long, as I may head for some Bull gills.

Lonnie

I fished East Bay yesterday afternoon from 4:00 to 6:30,and caught small sunnies with no crappie bite.Trucks still using the DNR access with no problems.Boy,am I do for some fish.

was on mad not much going on some small sunfish with a cupple big ones mixed in need to be in the right spot ....when looking for a spot think white.....

the fishing has been really slow for me at least this time of year anyways. i was out there 2 nights ago and fished for 4 hours from 2 till 6 and i managed to catch one little perch and a crappie. no size or anything and its kinda of a waste i guess. i fished the narrows for a bit millers point and between church and cow bar and there was no fish. i must have drilled 40+ holes and nothing! any one else have any other suggestions where would be a good place to look? i seen there were alot of people out in east bay all clustered together. what are they catching in 5 to 8 fow? my guess was panfish? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Tater chips and a few crappies mixed in. You can sort through the sunfish and get enough decent ones for a meal. Also, I wouldn't fish by all the people, those panfish are pretty much everywhere in that bay.

Must have seen you catching! Only took me 4 holes to find them well away from everyone(The Game wardens didn't check me) All my fish were suspended 5-7 ft down, and very aggressive. 10-11" crappies, no sorting. Plastics, Plastics, Plastics!! Left before 10am, went chasing sunnies on a different lake, which didn't go all that bad either.

I beleive it was Ben?? I talked too. Tried to steer him in the right direction(hope it worked)!

Phil, I didn't see you. Heating guy, should have told me you were going out there(maybe next time).

South Central MN Weekly Fishing Report, 2-26-09

More snow? Yes, only in MN. Continue to proceed with caution out there. Ice conditions are now varying from lake to lake. Some lakes still have 18 - 24" of ice while others have only 8 - 14". Vehicle use remains an option but should probably be your last option from this point forward. I would err on the side of caution with either an ATV or snowmobile and even foot traffic. The hardwater walleye season has come to a close and it finished pretty quietly. There were some fish caught but it was not great. However, this hardwater walleye season was another solid one for those willing to search "outside the box", stay mobile and keep it simple. The pan fish bite is gaining in consistency by the day. With the upcoming return of snow cover, you can start your search shallow but don't be afraid to look in deeper water nearby if things don't "pan out" in shallow water. Often times, pan fish will cruise, especially this time of year, feeding wherever they find an opportunity but areas to focus on are places where fresh water is entering the lake, flats near main lake points and "saddles" between mid-lake structure and shoreline transitions. Pannies continue to respond well to plastics and hair jigs tipped with spikes but Flutter Jigs from Fishing Minnesota's own Outdoor Pro Store and Fiska Jigs are also producing.

i ran into 1lkstage the other day thanks to his tips i got enough to stink up a pan. I will have to say that the bite must have been a early one because by the time i got to the spot you had to really tease them into a bite and the later it got the less fish i would mark. Thanks for the tips 1lkstage hope to run into you out on the ice again

was out last night from 2-8 fished in 24 ft. Pink ratsos worked tipped with spikes but a minnow head and frostee produced also. Primetime was 7-8 at night. Fish are really starting to suspend high in the water.

has anyone been fishing this lake recently? last time i was out was about 4 days ago. the narrows were wide open it was 40 degrees and just the perfect day to be out. the fish were biting hardcore! but now i think they may have moved. any reports? what hooks or lures to try? last i was out i was using a jigging rap the whole time but i didn't catch anything big at all. they were all small. im looking for crappies in size and numbers. im trying to avoid the crowd of people. can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Again I will recommend getting away from the Jigging Raps, especially with the recent cold front. I'd look to small horizontal jigs with waxies right now. Things like Diamond jigs or Fiskas would be my choice.

Your on the right track about getting away from people, but in this area, numbers and size rarly go hand in hand.

i went out there tonight but didn't fish as long as i was going to. i guess it wasn't the same as last time i was out. i barely caught anything exept a few perch and a crappie. i tried to branch out my lure section today and cover more water with the auger and drilled plenty of holes. i had a few takers on just a size 2 jigging rap in the early afternoon around 3 ish but as soon as dark came they wouldn't hit it. so i tried using a forage minnow tipped with waxies. i also tried just tipping the treble hook with a waxy on the jigging rap and that seemed to work also. again the fish were so small out there. there was only 2 other guys out there and they left right away. the bite must have seemed to slow down alot but the fish out there are really agressive and they chase the hook as fast as u can reel. i guess all i really gotta say is it would be a good lake to bring the kids along to kill some time and teach them a few things. anyways my brother came home from ely tonight and we might be hitting up madison tomorrow afternoon/evening. hopefully that lake will produce some keepers for the fry pan.

Emily has been known for numbers of small ones. I think you're doing the right thing in going to a bigger lake that holds larger panfish, if you're looking to put some in the pan.

Keep at it. Soon the crappies will school in numbers and size. Bull 'gills are already starting to. March is my favorite time of the ice season for panfish. It can be phenomenal when you hit it right.

Good luck.

The higher the better. Sounds like they're starting to make some vertical movements. I had some fast (although short-lived) action in 8' for crappies last weekend and will go for a repeat performance soon.

Madison Lake- thinking about hitting up this lake today in the early afternoon till dark. i have not been out there for a week or so. i hear that a few trucks broke through this past weekend by the narrows. how thick is the ice? how much does it vary from spot to spot? im assuming it will still be good to drive on yet but if i remember right i think there are a few areas out there to avoid. im personally a fan of uisng jigging raps for crappies and all winter long really. i do have some other tackle as well tho but it just barely ever gets used. are they any sugesstions on what i should try? i do have waxies that i should use up here soon. i wanna target some crappies over sunfish but willing to catch eathier. can some one please give me a report and lead me into the right direction? any information will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Madison Lake-small I was out there on Saturday the ice is good in most places over 20 and the DNR access is in great shape as for the fishing I only got a few small sunfish 2 seven inch walleye and one big crappie and I was out for 8 hours targeting crappies...