• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Great picture !

That is what is all about !

Please keep the Mankato-Northfield-Faribault-Waseca-Waterville-Albert Lea-Austin-New Ulm-St Peter Fishing Reports coming

Was on the water at 5:30 this morning and it was flat out brutal out there. Couple of crappies...you know you're in for a rough day when the temp and wind speed are about the same. Need a break from this weather!!

You're a trooper for making the effort! At least you weren't on Mille Lacs! shockeda> L2f

There is an area lake really putting out the 'eyes right now that may not make anyone's Top 3 or Top 5 if and when specifically targeting them. Quite a few in that 15 - 19" range as well as some bruisers over 24". I'm guessing the word will leak soon enough, so get after 'em while it's quiet.

Crawlers in 18 - 24' of water...

Hit Mazaska for the late bite tonight after Madison. Few Crappies in 16 FOW near sharp breaks. Dead stick = no good, must finesse them.

There's your hot spot Farbo lake's fisher ppl. wink If you cant find the 'sharp break' ...keep searching.

Temps 59.5~60.5

I wanted to focus on the deep crawler bite this AM but when I woke up ~5:00, it was howling, so I opted for the trolling bite that was ON last weekend. Still some fish around but not like it was. Hopefully this Thursday I'll be able to get back after those fish hanging in deeper water with bait. Yeah, I know...

Today, I had 5 fish for the pan that all went back but nothing over 15".

The crappie bite is on! I had a little time last night to look for some fish for our upcoming get together and that was all that was needed was a "little time". These fish where absolutly stacked in 21fow from 5' down to the bottom. Fish where taking a jiggin rap fished as vertically as possible. And although this school was huge they where definitly relating to a gravel to sand/mud transition in 21fow. A slight variance in depth and you where off of them. Tip of the month for May definitly came into play. Although no bait was needed a little shot of powerbait crappie nibbles on the hook didn't hurt.

It was nothing to catch a limit of nice eater (10"-11") so i would ask that we practice a little restraint some of these fish where still full of spawn and need a little selective harvest!

It just might. I have been getting the craps out there for a week and a half in 1-3 foot of water.

Lots of males. Black and jizzing.

The deep fish where mainly female's absolutly full of egg's so I would say it's not going to be long. But that lake always seem's to have both deep and shallow fish all year long.

Hmmm....The males were up shallow and ready to spawn and the females were just hanging out waiting for the right time, I guess fishermen aren't the only ones who get that treatment......

I fished shallow yesterday out there with no luck, but I also didn't give it too much effort...

PDOOG - I thought those fish were full of eggs myself because they are so fat but I took 4 home for grandma (she does let me keep the lift on the lake!) and they are feeding so hard it they are just full of food! No eggs in the 4 I cleaned.

PDOGG,

is the lake you are taking about madison lake right in shepards hole or near it anyway? it sounds like something very similar to the past few nights. just curious. you dont need to help me find the crappie bite one bit. i know where they are just about everywhere on madison lake this time of year and if i choose to i can come home with a limit every night if i want to. i caught all mine off live bait and jigs though.

Now for the rest of you just a curious question and didn't know if it should its own topic or not. but what is the rule on how close u can fish to somebody? is it 100ft or is there no such thing? if thats the case i can fish side by side like everyone does down at the ponds in st.peter just like i could on my boat right? i had a guy chew me out last night for this...

Interesting, we tried to throw the fattest ones back thinking they where egg's but a couple I cleaned did have some egg's in them. Did you see what they where eating?

PDOGG,

is the lake you are taking about madison lake right in shepards hole or near it anyway? it sounds like something very similar to the past few nights. just curious. you dont need to help me find the crappie bite one bit. i know where they are just about everywhere on madison lake this time of year and if i choose to i can come home with a limit every night if i want to. i caught all mine off live bait and jigs though.

Now for the rest of you just a curious question and didn't know if it should its own topic or not. but what is the rule on how close u can fish to somebody? is it 100ft or is there no such thing? if thats the case i can fish side by side like everyone does down at the ponds in st.peter just like i could on my boat right? i had a guy chew me out last night for this...

Yes Madison Lake. No not sheppard's hole. You are awesome! And I think the law is a boat length!

The instestines and stomach are just full of green stuff. Cannot make out what it is. I did throw some back that I thought had eggs also, but they all had bellies.

Didn't you just get chewed out for driving too close to shore on two seperate occassions by two seperate land owners recently ?

Seems to be a trend here . wink

I would say if the other boat has to tie bumpers to their side and throw you a rope you may want to back off a bit...

all the crappies i have caught in madison lake lately were feeding off crappie minnows. out of the 7 i brought home the other night 5 of them had eggs and just to be curious i was wondering what they have been feeding on and thats what i seen. 1 of the seven had some kind of artificial bait it. hard saying what it was though cause it must have been in there a while or so. anyways i thought about hitting the lake tonight but its just way to windy outside. right now its 22mph winds and gusting to 30. i tried going out in this kind of wind last week and i got blown right off the lake in the matter of a heart beat!! my boat does not handle wind like this at all no matter how hard i try and compensate for the wind. i have 100% boat control and i still get tossed around like a rag doll. this wind is not worth going out in to me anymore unless i win the lottery or something and get a chance to upgrade into a bigger boat.

im telling you the truth here...i dont know what it is but the last couple times i have been out fishing i been getting chewed out by others. THEY DO NOT OWN THE LAKE!!! yes i know its everyones lake but they think its there own private land and i cant fish near it or even come close letta lone look at it! so if the law says its only a boat length away that can vary quite a bit. it can go from canoes or kayaks to house boats! so if u do the math anywhere from lets say 8ft boat to 21ft. but eathier way i think we just have some crab *** fisherman out there...just my 2 sence worth.

im telling you the truth here...i dont know what it is but the last couple times i have been out fishing i been getting chewed out by others. THEY DO NOT OWN THE LAKE!!! yes i know its everyones lake but they think its there own private land and i cant fish near it or even come close letta lone look at it! so if the law says its only a boat length away that can vary quite a bit. it can go from canoes or kayaks to house boats! so if u do the math anywhere from lets say 8ft boat to 21ft. but eathier way i think we just have some crab *** fisherman out there...just my 2 sence worth.

There are also generally understood ethics that apply for many outdoor activites with fishing being one of them. Don't assume you're fine but rather err on the side of caution. Many of us fish locally and across the Midwest with minimal to absolutely no confrontation. Respect everyone's space whether you agree or not. It's supposed to be enjoyable on the water (or ice).

Oh and this is why I don't fish near other boats.

South Central MN Weekly Fishing Report, 5-19-09

Wind, wind and more wind. Gusts and "howls" from the SW and/or NW was common at many public boat landings this past week. Welcome to spring in southern MN! However, wind does bring some benefits; fishing pressure is down and the fish are biting! Much like last week, when targeting walleyes, location was key and that seemed to clearly divide itself into two distinct locations. For a deeper bite, think gravel to mud transitions in 15 - 30' of water and be patient. If you're wanting to fish slow, use as light a jig as possible and tip with a leech or night crawler but be prepared to catch more than just walleyes (i.e. pan fish and rough fish). If you'd like to sort through these other species, pick up your speed a little and fish with a bottom-bouncer (or 3-way) and spinner/night crawler combination. If you're more intrigued in what the shallow bite has to offer, nothing has changed from opening weekend other than the fish seem to be a bit scattered. Draggin' 1/32 - 1/16 oz. jigs and minnows in 3 - 6' of water is working but so is trolling small profile crank baits between 1.5 - 2.0 mph. If trolling, change colors until making contact and then hone in on that color pattern as much as possible. Another thing to consider is that if the trolling bite slows but you still feel there are fish in the area, change to slip bobbers and leeches or minnows. Main lake water temperatures have not changed in over 7 days! They remain between 55 - 60 degrees F.

Walleye fishing not your thing? Don't fret; the pan fish bite is on fire! The time is now for targeting crappies and 'gills. Pan fish are being found in 15 - 25' of water but more and more are making their way into shallow water and/or their spawning areas. One of the better locations continues to be less than a stone's throw from their spawning grounds in and around some deeper transition areas that move from gravel to mud. However, there have been some darn nice catches coming from 1 - 7' of water too. Some of the better presentations this past week have been Jiggin' Raps, tube jigs and hair jigs. Fish light, slow and vertical. If you're not getting bit, change colors until you do and then stick with it.

Excellent report TO, TY! Also your TIP on boat control will come in very handy on these windy days (especially tomorrow).

Tons of fish in the river channel between Tetonka and Sakatah Bay. Gotta throw to the far shore.

Also saw carp spawning on Lower Sakatah. Saw one group out doing some bowfishing. They picked a good day to go or could see the future cuz its still a little early for most carp spawning.

Walleye fishing for me has not been "fast and furious" but rather productive picking up a walleye here and there working the shorelines. I have been using the wind as an advantage and it has payed off netting 2 walleye last night, and another 2 tonight. Using a orange whistler jig with green/yellow twister tail. Good luck to everyone going to the midweek get together, I know it is going to be windy but hopefully you guys can make it out and hammer them before this next front pushes through. Good luck everyone!

I've been fishing a Waterville area lake & have not found them concentrated, basically been cruising or drifting a minnow/spinner & ticking the tops of the weeds 4-10' of water & getting a mixed bag of bass/crappie/pike. It was better Fri & before, I've found it tougher since. Sunday water temps went back to 57. This wind & heat should mix things up a bit.

L2f

I braved the wind yesterday and found an area that was not getting much wind and was very protected. I was rewarded, throwing a orange or pink jig head tipped with a nightcrawler or a leech shallow landed me and a friend eight walleyes!!! Biggest went just shy of 21 and the rest where between 15 and nineteen. The key seemed to be a slow retrieve and let it sit on the bottom for a while. Ill try an get some pictures up tommorrow (lost my cable to connect the camera to the comp)

-Jeremy

My son and I ventured out Friday evening - didn't take long to find the fish. We fished the windy shore - but they were out in 14-18 feet - Crappie STACKED in spots. My son was manning the bow mount and did a pretty good job learning how to follow the schools. About 7 pm we ran into a school of really nice sized bluegills - just beautiful, big fish.

Everything was on plastics - no bobber - vertical jigging. Gulp did better than regular tubes - even when the color was the same. The Gulp fry are really nice - did the ticket for us tonight!!

We came back with a nice meal of fish. I will reiterate what some of the other guys said - I wouldn't sit on these fish - they are pretty easy pickings once you find them.

Should be a nice fish catching Memorial weekend....

Jhanks and Mongo, sounds like some great days on the lake!

Thanks for the reports.

i went out today on a local area lake and caught several crappies. all were 12-14 inches. they were in a little deeper water today. look for rocks near by. no bait was necessary. also i landed a nice 5 pound bass and 28 inch pike. it was just a great night to be on the water. i fished from 5 till 8.

I went out on a local lake and found this kind of fish and another type that looked just like it but with a bigger mouth.

basscrop2.jpg

It's almost too easy!