• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions

Yesterday at 3:00pm, Lake Owasso was half iced over half open. At noon today I went out on a small 20 acre pond in Eagan and poked some holes in it with a log about 15 feet off shore in 3 feet deep water and it was 2-2.5" thick. I didn't go any further smile Hopefully well be on the ice this weekend with this weeks weather report. However, everyone be safe! Ice chisels, hand picks, and life jackets or flotation suites, cleats, and go with a buddy (not a bad idea to tie rope around each other waists). Might look foolish for that first week of ice, but it will save your life if you go through.

Medicine Lake was still wide open. Island Lake in shoreview was completely iced over. Several other smaller lakes were mostly froze over, some had small open holes in the middle because of the sunshine today.

For Minnetonka I drove past Halsteads, Cooks, Spring Park, Crystal, North Arm, Browns, and Wayzata bays, all are open with some skim ice around the edges. Seton looks like it's close to being all skimmed over. The temperatures being forecast for next week aren't very encouraging.

Peltier and Centerville lakes have very little ice. With the weather predicted for the next 5 days it don't look to promising. Myself, I prefer at least 3-4" before I even think about walking on water. eek

ole

Doing well, we still have to get after them gators. Shoot me a p.m. if you guys get anything going on Tonka this winter. Hitting the show this weekend, then waiting for good ice!!

ole

Apparently Nokomis didn't get the memo, as the main lake is still wide open. The bay on the west side of the bridge is mostly skimmed over, but that's it.

Checked lil Lake Smetana at lunch again. She's a bit thicker today about 2 to 2.5" a few feet from the boat ramp so I was only in a foot of water. That open water spot is still there though on the opposite side.

Tanners was still wide open this morning. Battle creek (one of the first to freeze up) has been locked up for a couple of days.

I expect to see someone on battle creek any day.

There where guys out on south center yesterday near pancake island. Not sure if I would be that confident yet!

With the warm weather forecast this weekend I may put the canoe in on Minnetonka and look for some panfish. Does anyone know what depth I should look for them?

I saw 2 guys out on a small lake this afternoon. Could'nt believe my eyes so I stop to take a look crazy Yep, 2" maybe a tad more and they're already out.

Warren, I would say fish the edges of any weeds you can still find.

Good Luck, ole

In my travels yesterday I saw that most of Minnetonka was open. Mitchell in EP was locked up from what I could see. Lots of smaller lakes are locked up. With the weekend weather report I am not to hopeful for fishing anytime soon. Ely here I come...

elk river area is open water or a few yards of ice right off shore, nothing close to hard water fishable less u put waders on and open water fish off the ice edge

I was out on demontreville today by stillwater. Had close to 3"!!!! Caught some nice crappie and a few pike.

Drove past Seton bay this morning, it's wide open again. This fog and rain melted whatever little ice there was. The channel to Harrison bay is still frozen.

• 2 weeks later...

4" of ice on a little pond in arden hills. I fished pretty hard for my 3 crappies. All came from 15 FOW, suspended 5' off the bottom. I didn't find enough success that I'd give a report, but I know how anxious we all are for ice time.

A buddy was out on Marion last friday, 3-5" of good ice and catching several bass pike. Not sure what the rain has done to conditions. We are going to try it out there tomorrow.

Was on lake O'Dowd on 12/15/2012 at 8:00, super foggy and warm, BUT the good part is the ice melted of and clear ice is left, AND it is 4 inches of black ice, so going out fishing tomorrow, hope to see you there! wink

Was on lake O'Dowd on 12/15/2012 at 8:00, super foggy and warm, BUT the good part is the ice melted of and clear ice is left, AND it is 4 inches of black ice, so going out fishing tomorrow, hope to see you there! wink

Your much braver then I am. I saw whirlpools on a lake today. I'll just stay dry for now and wait it out. Good luck and be safe.

There is a lake by my house that is a good early ice spot and it had waves on top of the ice yesterday. I wouldn't go out there for another week or so. It had open water as late as tuesday as it sank with the snow. Good news is that the snow is no longer on top and could really help us out.

OK I'm back from fishing, very tough evening cold and windy , but got about 20 bluegill and 1 small crappie and one 12 inch walleye, had fun, but I was wondering why weren't the crappie biting , was doing every thing from last year but much shallower, in 12 feet of water, but they seemed not to be biting, anyone know why they were not biting?

• The title was changed to Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions