• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions

Had an excellent afternoon/evening with my almost-five-year-old. 11 Crappies, 25 Sunfish, a 3-4# Northern and a 27 1/2" walleye. That walleye came minutes after another one in the same size range. He held his own although he missed a LOT more than he caught. He developed a near-the-boat method that was remarkably effective.

Also, the crappie hybridization in this particular lake has produced some really weird-looking crappies. We had one that was almost silver with a few blackish blotches and one that was marked like a silver and black version of a Rock Bass. Granted it's coming up on spawn and their full colors are coming out (only one jet-black male in the catch) but in the past the White/Black hybrids were obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you'd best leave Karl's Lake while you can still drive.

Fished tonka last night from about 5-8:45. Fished mostly in the main lake and then some down around the islands by Enchanted Island. Did pretty good on largemouth fishing with a shallow running rapala and small spoons, with most of the fish coming in about 4-7 FOW on in the main lake. Not much happening with top water baits nor with spinners. Also only caught one northern, although it was a decent sized one in the upper 20s. Going to try it again later this week and see if the bite continues.

Fished tonka again last night from 630-9, same areas, same baits. Caught some (10 or 12 boated with a fair number tossing the hook between 4 of us) but not as many as yesterday, and actually most of the fish caught were on spinner baits, which we didn't try on Sunday. The sunnies are really starting to guard their nests, we drifted over some areas that had hundreds within 50 feet of each other and were so aggressive we caught them on larger bass baits. Great night to be on the water.

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Tonka today for bass from about 7am-11am. Bite was good before and during the rain, but tapered off when the rain stopped. Caught a total of 8 (which is the slowest day of the year so far for me) but the average size was pretty nice. All were 2-4 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Orchard tonight, nothing biting at all, tried shallow and deep. no luck.

Fished Carl's lake this morning, lindys and leeches or crawlers worked equally as well, plenty of decent sized sunnies, one crappie big enough to keep and 3 pike in about 2 hours. Fished on the weedline. Fish shut down about 11am, couldnt buy a bite after that.

Thx for update, taking my nephew out tomorrow. I know there are Walleyes in there and would love to chase em but I'm guessing he is going to want to throw for bass/pike. Will report back.

a buddy and I fished tonka again last night from 6-930, north Arm and Maxwell. Started with plastics and spinners on the outside weed line in about 12 fow. Nothing. Then tried inside weed line and added a top water frog to the arsenal. Nothing. Around 8:00 the bite turned on a bit for the top water frogs. Ended up with a few largemouth each and a few more misses. Great night up be on the water.

Anyone else think the bite might have waited to turn on due to the heat? The water temp was 85 degrees!

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a spot in Anoka county to catch some bullheads! Any suggestions? Most the lakes are so loaded with sunnies you cant get to the bullheads. Any advice appreciated.

Peltier dam has so many they are literally jumping out of the water. I never thought I'd catch a bullhead on a dry fly.

Lots of 6-8 inchers.

Peltier dam has so many they are literally jumping out of the water. I never thought I'd catch a bullhead on a dry fly.

Lots of 6-8 inchers.

Perfect ill give it a try. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Carls lake again. Seems like its the only lake i ever make it to LOL. Jigs and lindys were an even match tonight, fish were a little slow. No one spot was better than another, fish were scattered with larger fish deeper.

Took the dog over to parkers for some panny action no size but caught a ton of gills on worms few bass to

Fished Tonka today... Windy as heck... Used mostly spinners and got into some northern on eastern side north or Fergeson Point. Pretty slow though. Biggest was 24".

My brother and I are looking to get out this Sunday. We would like to do a little bass and muskie fishing. Haven't been out on either lake yet this year, just wondering if anyone is having any luck on these lakes.

Thanks,

Tonka 2c

I just like how each bay is different as far as water clairity. Waconia is really green.

This weekend was a better bite for Northern and Bass. Fished all over the east side of Tonka using mostly spinners and cranks. Saturday probably got a dozen northern and a dozen bass fishing the outside of the milfoil. (Missed about a dozen more northern, and actually caught a crappie and bluegill on the spinner) Cool weather kept the crazies off the lake till around noon so it was a really nice time. Today, the drizzle kept the lake pretty empty again. Same tactic as Saturday and picked up another dozen northern and a couple of bass in the 1-3 pound range (and another really hungry sunny). Northern were smaller (nothing bigger then 24) but were aggressive. I had a number chase my spinner right up to the boat.

We went to Tonka. We fished mainly in Smiths and Crystal. No muskie action, but did catch quite a few northern and largemouth once we donwsized or presentation.

Fished Maxwell Bay of Lake Minnetonka, and almost had what looked like a 12+ inch largemouth explode on my hooked leech with a bobber as I was moving it across the water. After struggling with it for a little bit, it decided to dive into a huge clump of weds to break free, and it worked. OH well, least I got out onto the lake!

I fished Normandale Lake this afternoon, and caught 4 northerns within the first hour, and 3 black crappie shortly after that. I had a great time fishing with a father and his son who was just learning how to fish. It felt great to help him out. They gave me their nightcrawlers that they didn't need after that, so it was a great day! Moreso to see a father instilling a lifelong hobby to his son.

Fished Waconia on 8/13 2-4 PM. First time on lake, and I was surprised how green and weedy it was. caught a few tiny LM Bass, and quite a few small sunnies and a couple crappies, nothing at all of size.

Fished Tonka last night from about 5:30 to 8:30. Stuck to the east end out of the wind. Best night of fishing I've had in a while. Used spinnerbaits between 4 and 12 feet in and out of milfoil and cabbage. In about 3 hours caught over a dozen bass and about a dozen northern. One pike was 32", missed another one at the boat that was equally as big. Pike were very aggressive. Had lots of follows to the boat, and some hit the spinner multiple times.

So i realized on my way to Waconia there was a detour onHwy 5 West. I had no idea where i was going so went to a different lake. Whats the best alternate route to there if i am coming from that way?

• The title was changed to Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions