• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions

Very nice!! How deep did you find them? I have not found any in real shallow yet this year, all hanging out in about 25-30 fow so far.

12-14 FOW. I didn't find them any deeper than that.

Was on Waconia on Saturday morning in the bay, the Marina was plowing a road out to the first set of houses. About 12" ice.

Originally Posted By: chuckwagon
Hey calvinist do live in the chaska area?

Plymouth. These were not caught around home though, nor by Chaska.

Haha he's lookin at your toad catfish and thinking this guys gotta live in Chaska....:)

if you guy don't mind can we all say what lake/s we are reporting on thanks >>>

Ice thickness = yes. Fishing report = sorry.

haha...I was on some walleyes tonight...caught 4 in a matter of 15 minutes...only 2 keepers....it was awesome to finally get on some fish!!!

Was out on Tonka last night in 24ft 3 eyes between 14-19 inches, did not get my first eyes bite until 9pm, those small perch are not so small anymore, 8-9 inches, could not keep the perch of the lines

Panfish, northern, an occasional walleye, and even an occasional bass on Prior. Sixteen to twenty feet of water off of shoreline points or near-shore reefs. Seven to nine-inch bluegills and eight to ten-inch crappies in good numbers on Fat Boys and Gill Pills tipped with Gulp! Fish Fry or live waxies. Bass hitting these same offerings. Pike and walleyes on shiners or suckers under tip-ups in the same areas, early and late. Eight inches of good ice with some slush and crusty ice on top--left-overs from the big snow storm. Some people driving out--wouldn't recommend it until maybe after a few more days of this cold snap. Good luck and be safe!

Moved the wheel house on tonka. I moved to a 18ft sand bar. Caught 10 wallayes and missed 3 more keepers. I missed a big one around 10pm. Went home this morning with 5 keepers between 15"-and 20". I hope they bite tonight. They always start bitting when the lake gets quite.

ya thats what i love about tonka, get away from everyone and it will pay off big. we caught and relased a big one last night that was at lesat 11 or 12 pounds. caught a couple eaters earlier in the night

I was out on Carson's Bay tonight trying for crappies. Had a couple come up and take a look but the didn't seem to be in an eating mood. The fact that every time I got a fish to come up to my jig I had to mess with my heater because the propane was freezing and it kept dying probably didn't help my odds, though...

Was out on Waconia Saturday durring the day and Sunday overnight. Set up on center and pilsbury reefs in about 15FOW. Caught some fish but action is still slow but action seems to be improving. Small sunnies and a few nice crappies. The crappies are rising off the bottom. Still haven't seen any big, suspended, active schools like last years ice. Perhaps the fish are starting to show up in the traditional spots... Hopefully.

Was out again on Sat night, caught first eye around 5:15. Did not get another bite until 9pm, then around midnight I was getting a bite every half hr. Went home with some nice keepers. I am thinking about moving the wheel house deeper, trying to get the sun down bite. The wife is on my [PoorWordUsage] because I have been sleeping out thier, but the fish do not turn on until after 10pm on the weed lines.

Ok, so we're working St. Louis & Carsons Bay...BUT NOTHING! madTrying everything from 8 to 29 ft. Ice is thicker now; time to move out!

Floatplane guy, you interested in any company? Looking to fish with someone else on Tonka who knows the lake better than myself. Have my own gear and can fish most evenings, let me know...

Out on Tonka Monday night, my buddy moved his wheel house next to mine and caught a 27" wallaye. The only eye caught between the 2 wheel houses. Perch steal too much bait.

and are there roads out to Breezy Point, any trails on Crystal Bay, headed out on Weds. AM, Last week just to see I drove out and had a look, not much in the way of two wheel drive access. Any Help?

Is there a good panny bite on that end of the lake? I've only fished wayzata bay, looking to branch out.

Just got off of prior in 18 FOW out from the sportsmans access using jigs tipped with a minnow .... had no luck at all. Fish were coming off the bottom for about 5 minutes when I set up and then did not take any interest at all for next hour in a half? Any one else have luck out from the access in 18 feet? Also , are the crappies out there suspended or are they coming from the bottom for you guys? I forgot the waxies so I am guessing that put a damper on the evening as well! Thank you for any help in advance. keep them lines wet smile

Went out on Minnetonka this morning, first time I've ever been on the lake. We decided to head to Wayzata Bay, drilled a few holes and set up on a school of perch on the bottom in 21 fow. We pulled quite a few through the hole, nothing of size, but a fun morning nonetheless.

I am looking to head out to Mtka tomorrow. I was trying to get some general advice as i have never ice fished the lake. I was hoping to get depth structure to work from. I have my GPS with contours so if anyone has general advice for depth, structure, presentation and times please share. Not looking for your spots just some advice. Thanks

"Tight Lines"

hey Breu18061 let me know if you get a response and if you're willing to share. I live in Webster and am in the same boat you are. pardon the pun.

-simon

Tonka is tough for Walleyes but it has the potential for big fish and good numbers...it is just tough to do that consistently. Fish close to the weeds, I like it when there is a distinct weedline around 15-19ft with scattered weeds and deeper water nearby. Shoreline areas and points seem to be better than mainlake structure. Rocks are good, hardbottom is better than soft. Big expansive weedflats, look for irregularities in the weedline and in the contour. A shelf on a steep dropoff in under 20ft close to the weeds. Inside turns in the weedline. Jig em or use tip ups. Fatheads work fine but you will get small perch, will get perch with shiners also. If you don't get any perch or at least see them on the flasher you probably won't get any Walleyes either. Fish sundown, most of the action will be within an hour or two around sundown, mornings dont seem to be as good. Don't fish by other people and try and be all set up plenty early. Did I mention fish by the weedline. You can get 1 walleye in a lot of spots, gettin 2 and you are on to something, get any more and you better give me some tips.

You can get 1 walleye in a lot of spots, gettin 2 and you are on to something, get any more and you better give me some tips.

That is a perfect description of the lake and the experiences I have had out there.

• The title was changed to Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions