• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions

I wish you lick out there today, there's a rooster with my dogs name on it forty minutes away. I would put my boat in in Owasso If I was you.

Heading out to Tonka Saturday with my 8 yr old son. He usually likes to fish for some eyes. Any suggestions with this cold weather? Pete

I'll be out there also,I would love to hear some suggestions too. I have my own ideas but when and if they don't pan out will be on the hunt.

Chris

Rough fish- your cousins pic gives your spot away...might want to edit that one out. nice fish tho-

thanks for pointing that out, and thanks for not telling where it is smile that lake is a very well-kept secret

k i got it fixed

it was nice meeting you esoxlucius. did you guys get anything?

i got a couple

little guy:

1000407p.jpg

this one was a little better:

100e0414.jpg

I can give you Musky/Jack report, North Arm and shallow, right next to shore. 2 very large muskies and 2 large northerns were suprised or the owner was this AM about 6:30 on the surface all 4.

ok, i just looked through my posts, and i swear these are not the same fish!

here are a couple more from tonight,

a fat one:

100e0423.jpg

and a hungry little turd:

1000425g.jpg

I caught this tiger muskie on this thursday in freaking 35 degree weather. I caught it on a small lake near chaska, it was 41 inches but it was super thick. probably the biggest muskie i have ever caughten weight wise! a>

Tonka. 28 1/2" walleye. 14" walleye. 8:00pm. 10-12ft. Rocks. 5" swimbait!

P.S. Don't forget the juice! (baitmate gamefish)

Weekend Report - Sat aft/ early evening - nothing not even a bite.

Sunday Morning 2 eyes on lindy rigs with gulp minnows. One in 15 fow and the other in 32 fow

Hey all,

Looking to get out to do some night trolling this week targeting walleye. I only have a 14 ft lund however so im wondering if any of you can suggest what launch I should put in at to minimize the distance I need to travel to get in some good water. Thanks

I always go in at Grays Bay landing, it is well lit and a great landing. You have access to Wayzata bay, Browns and the big lake. There is allot of great structure right close by.

Good Luck!!!

Chris

With the words night and trolling being used I would have to disagree with Chris, and say that if you launch at Maxwell/North Arm, there are alot of "trolling the channel" opportunities. Short distances 2-3 miles and now you have 10 channels to choose from. October+full moon+night+trolling= PIGS! You can not go big enough with your lure selection. P.S. This should have been a new thread as it is not a report. GOOD LUCK!

Yes Hotime you may be right, I know the channels can be hot this time of year. I think I was considering some of my favorite structure that is just around the corner from Wayzata bay.

i tried the cannon river for a few hours today. i got skunked (it was the first time i've ever been skunked on this river).

i came home watched the vikings get robbed of a game, and went to the vermillion.

first cast: my favorite lure gets stolen by a 26-28 inch pike. while i was throwing a fit on the shore, i noticed some carp feeding in a deeper pool. so i went back to my tacklebox and relized that i forgot worms, dang it. i tried putting some small jigs in front of them but they didn't want them.

now i was as frustrated as i could possibly be. i grabbed a spinner and tried for more pike. i only got one fish, a chubby little 2 pounder.

not exactly the best day, but hey, at least i was fishing

I have been fishing tonka lately with absolutely no success, I troll raps mostly.. What do I need to do to catch more!? or any.. Walleyes are what I'd like to find, northerns and bass are never a problem... I was in front of sunsets docks last night and I was marking a ton of baitfish and fish feeding on those baitfish, I drug all kinds of [PoorWordUsage] threw them and no bites.. Any speed work best? tight wobble or wide wobble baits? I use perch,firetiger,white/black,gold/black,red,blue you name it... I know I need to use live bait more, but kinds and presentations im not sure with..Ive grown up fishing tonka, many, many hours put in, but I feel like I should be able to do better out there than I am, IM STUMPED

I have been out on Minnetonka allot and the last two times I was out I was nearly skunked. I fished hard for 8 hours both times deep, shallow, rocks, sand. I fished crank baits, bottom bouncers, fatheads, nightcrawlers with hardly a bite. I was also starting to question my fishing abilities until I read there are allot of people in the same situation. I think it is just an odd fall with all the rain and cold. From what I read the Minnesota and Mississippi would be the place to go.

Yesterday I put my boat away and now I hear the weather is going to get nice again, if it stays warm for a few days I may have to pull it back out.

This time of year the walleyes are 30-50ft during the day and 1-10ft at night. They become dinural like crappies.(daily movments according to the amount of light) Night time is when I go because these fish go shallow for one reason... Food. I seriously don't start fishing until the last sliver of light has left the sky. Paying attention to the hot times dosent hurt either. Instead of fishing 8 hrs with nothing, I can now fish the 2 hrs. that the fish are acctually feeding heavily. Lindy Rig, try swimbaits/casting at night. ie(castaic, walleye assasin) They wobble like a crank, and you can fish them at any depth. The bigger the better. Rarely a northern and if you do get a bass it will be 4lbs+

I got out for a few hours on Tonka to my usual mid-lake late fall spot. What worked best was vertical jigging in 16-17FOW. Things are just starting to heat up. I caught half a dozen walleyes, pretty small but caught one @ 17". I missed alot of fish becausy you have yo let them take it a long time, of course you don't have that problem with the big girls. The fish will only get bigger from here on out. I wish I had bigger minnows last night. Next time I'm bringing shiners or sucker minnows.

I appreciate the input and I am planning on going out this week with my waders, maybe tomorrow and cast some crank baits. I am thinking of hitting the Deephaven beach on Robinsons bay and the one south of the big beach on Carsons. They both have deep water close by and a nice sand/ gravel bottom.

I don't think they allow parking after dark though so I will have the girlfriend drop me off and pick me up.

Chris55386,

I got skunked the last two times I went out as well. I also fished hard and the only thing I got was a nice follow by a huge muskie which struck my crankbait near my boat and then spit it out and went away. I fished cranks, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs, and shakey head worms but no luck. I decided to put the boat away as well after those experiences.

• The title was changed to Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions