• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions

Launched at 11:00am. Fished Wayzata bay for walleyes/crappies. Nada. Fished main lake with bobbers and leeches, minnows, crawlers with no success on either species. We did manage 30 or so bass, and 10 bull gills on our offerings. 3 of the bass were smallies witch were about 10 ft deeper than the large mouths. Using 4" swimbaits cast into the weeds with a steady retrieve pulled the top 10 biggest bass of the day while the live bait rigs pulled all the 12-14"ers. We stuck it out during the downpours and the lightning crashing over our heads. We should have packed it up, but when your catching 3-4 lb bass one after the other on jigs its hard to put down the rod. The bigger and most bass were on long deep under water points where the weeds stopped and rocks began right at the tip of the point. Another thing I noticed were all the baitfish/bluegills? breaking the surface, and about 20 seagulls taking advantage of the situation. Packed it up at dark.

went out to fish tonka for bass last night, caught a few on plastics in shallow but it was pretty slow so we went down to maynards and managed to catch a few beers on the patio. Would have loved to get into a few of the bass hanging around below their dock...wow, one of them had to be 24+ inches!

Fished Waconia last night for walleyes. we ended up picking up two off of slip bobbers and leeches in 20 FOW.

• 2 weeks later...

So last night I caught a bunch of small fish.. all in the shallows. the best "bite" was more towards the hot time between 1-2 am. If It wasn't for that Bat getting tangled in my line, it would have been a good evening. And by the sounds of this forum I think I had the lake to myself. Good luck and tight lines to all.

I was out on Waconia on Saturday night and Sunday Night, fishing for eyes and gills. Didnt find any nice size gills. Walleyes have way to much bait fish to eat. Caught so many little perch you cant believe. This might be a problem for wac this fall. Ended the weekend off with catching a 13 14 16 16.25 and a nice 22 incher. Mostly pulling spinners on hard bottom break lines. Also tried cranking the beach and nothing there. Also cranked a few other spots on the lake and picked up one on top of weeds in 10 feet of water. Silver blades for the spinners and blue and orange floating raps with small weights being long lined. Good luck to all and report back on your catches! MM

I hit Tonka a couple of days this past weekend. Probably had my best fishing days of the season. Caught a bunch of bass on light jig heads (1/16th) with senkos in 12-15 FOW outside the weedline. Deadsticking senkos was working well. Also caught some in the shallows on weightless worms. Biggest size this weekend was about 17+ inches. I also got a couple in the 15-16 inch range. A dozen more in the 12 inch range.

went out on Tonka over the weekend, did really well with top water frogs on the edges of lily pads, especially if there was a little section of pads separate from the main body of them, seemed like every one of those held a fish

Fished a few hours on Waconia monday morning, only got one bite, a nice bucket mouth, was fishing 18ft of water hoping for eyes.

Posing a question to people that fish Tonka for Walleye! I've only caught walleyes on small suckers or shiners on tonka. Do you have any luck with fat heads? If so is it using a jig or lindy that seems to work best?

Out on Waconia last night again bight was slow some perch and a few crappie, and then around 8:30 swarms of mosquito's and other insects just took over. Hard to catch anything when you have the trolling motor cranked at full speed to keep the bugs from landing on you!

Where is a good place to head out on Tonka for ice fishing, do I use the same launch at Maxwell or are there better places to go from? Are there any areas to watch out for that always have thin ice?

How deep are they and do you know what the water temp is at? I didn't do so good there last time, just bass. Was fishing in 18' near a drop off.

I was in 10-15 feet of water working a weedline, 68 degrees water temp. I'm always glad to share info, hopefully others will share info with me too. I welcome others to fish with me and hopefully we can learn from each other.

Hey eyechaser, I would be happy to fish with you. I have a boat, or we could use yours-whatever. I fish Minnetonka a lot, mostly for muskies, but often for walleyes this time of year with varying success. I fish alone much of the time, as I have no friends. I'd be happy to share a couple of spots that have worked in the past. Shoot me an email if you're interested...andy030906@gmail.

I normally have some room in my boat for people who share too, maybe two more trips though. I know some good musky spots on Wakonia and on Tonka. I saw my Biggest Musky ever on Wakonia last week, she swam right by the boat when I had no gear for her. I almost jumped in! Might hit Wakonia Monday or Tuesday, kinda up in the air weather and Chores permitting.

I'm new to this website, but I have some pretty good knowledge of some hot spots for walleyes and crappies on tonka and waconia. I will trade a few walleye spots on tonka for a few crappie or perch spots on tonka or waconia that aren't already marked as hotspots on a map. I'm looking for summer and fall locations not spring. Anyone interested in discussing, my email is listed in previous posts. I will also trade spring crappie spots for walleye spots too. Will only trade with 2-3 people. Be prepared to discuss baits and presentation also.

All info will be exchanged via email or phone not on this forum. To protect the fishing location from being hammered!

I gotta say I dont go out much for Crappies and perch, but have picked up a few along the way. I have caught a few ony in early summer on minnetonka while bass fishing. I know a lotta Crappie spots on Prior thats about it, sorry I cant be more help.

OK I can't wait any longer, I am heading out to Minnetonka to fish the rest of the afternoon. Today looks to be the nicest day of the week so here I go.

Wish me luck...

Chris

It was yesterday that I went out and it seemed like it would have been a perfect day with the wind and waves. I fished Brown's and Robinson's bay with Crawlers and crank baits and the only thing I boated was one perch. I saw fish on the depth finder at 20 to 30 feet but could not buy a bite. The water temp was 58 degrees and should be quite a bit colder after the next few days. Next I plan on going shallower and working on sand and rocks. My friend at the gym caught a bunch of eyes in the same places I was fishing just last weekend. Go figure, I talked to a couple at the landing that caught two big Muskies and had two other follows so at least something was biting.

I need me one more pig musky this year, Might try sunday, gotta see what the weather and pheasants are like first.

I saw a big one last Saturday in Robinson's bay. His fin and tail were out of the water flapping around by the second or middle black and white buoy on the south side of the bay. Go get him!!!

Any reports on White Bear or Bald Eagle ? Has anybody fished Owasso this year for ski's? How about Elmo? Johanna? Let me know I'm goin out sunday rain, sleet or snow!!

• The title was changed to Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions