• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River Fishing Reports Pools 2 & 3

Well if anyone is going out tomorrow and has an open seat let me know. My plans for a last minute metro ice trip are done since I don't want to deal with the lake on top the ice.

one word for this morning, MISERABLE, did not dress appropiatly and froze. We made it 5 hours for 1 walleye (14")and 1 northern.

did not see much else caught around us

Was out on pool 2 saturday. Only caught 1 walleye and the river was booking. I was with 2 other boats down there and they each caught 1 walleye. I also did not see any other boats catch any. Also, 45 degrees is actually not that pleasant when it is cloudy and theres a little bit of wind.

where were you fishing? saw many boats and not much action at the confluence same with the dam.

launched at lily today fished up river got 1 nice eye around 25in(jigging) that was all though really slow everyone on the river i talked to said the same. rivers starting to move fast and i think we got off at just the right time. got off at 4 oclock to eat something, drove back to river a hour later and man there was a lot of ice did not look fun. im goin to check it out tomarrow. What is the confluence? and where? i been all over the river and i dont know what the heck that is or where.

a confluence is where 2 rivers join in this case the MN and the MISS it is just up river from the 35e bridge.

givemethatfish, the confluence is where the Minnesota and Mississippi River come together just upriver from the 35E bridge. Wish I was fishing when you were. I launched at Lilydale around 5pm and battled the ice all night. I had enough and left around 7:15. Missed a few fish and managed 1 carp. Not a lot of options with all the ice out there.

thanks guys, yea thats where i got that fish yesterday just never heard anyone call it that before. on my way out there now. ssp today tho.

• 4 weeks later...

going to try pool 3 for the first time, don't want to deal with the zoo on p4 this weekend with the tourney going on. Any help on where to go from the boat launch in Prescott?

Fished pool 3 today, was a fun day kept 5 nice sauger for a meal. Also saw a few mid 20 inch eyes caught. Glow Chartreuse jig tipped with a minnow was the ticket.

fished P3 again today from 630 until noon. Same as yesterday ended up with 5 nice saugers, but today it was glow orange jig and minnow combo. never saw any eyes caught at all. Got stopped by the warden very very nice guy. He told us that they did really good on eyes out in front of the boat ramp and up to the railroad bridge last night.

Fished at the Ford Dam last evening. I was planning on trying for walleye, but ended up having a blast catching carp, believe it or not. They were all over the place, jumping and swimming in really shallow water next to the island. I only managed to get one in the boat, the rest shook loose next to the boat. I always wondered why people fish for carp, but now I'm a believer!

I saw more trailers in the lot, but no one at the dam. Anyone have luck downstream?

going to try pool 3 for the first time, don't want to deal with the zoo on p4 this weekend with the tourney going on. Any help on where to go from the boat launch in Prescott?

You don't have to go far if you launch from Prescott because you will be launching right into good fishing. You can fish from the confluence and Railroad bridge down river. Up river past the railroad bridge is the Croix and Walleye does not open until May 1st and up the Mississippi past the confluence is considered MN inland waters so it does not open until May 15th. Travel just a few hundred feet and you get 3 different fishing regulations!

The area right by the launch/marina is a favorite and down river from Prescott there are many wing dams to fish.

I have not been out yet this year so I can't tell you what is working or how the fishing has been. Hopefully I will have the new boat by this weekend so I can get out there.

White bass near the island below ford dam. 9 - 11 fow. Vertical jigging chart ringworm H20 temp 58 degrees Walleye and sheepies on cranks near riprap 9 - 10 fow. Go get em

Went out last evening, and was the only boat at the dam save for the Betsy Northrup. Caught several white bass on jigs and plastics, and one giant carp. Carp are a hoot to fight.

I was on pool 2 this morning/early afternooon and thre was not much happening, one 6" walleye between the two of us for 4 hours of fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Was out on pool 2 sunday night. Tinkered around with swimbaits for smallies and then started fishin' kitties at sunset. The channels were on a tear in less than 6 FOW. wink Seems like the current has them pushed up shallow and feeding pretty heavily. We had 6 fish in the boat during the first hour. First one was a decent 14 pounder. They were gobblin' up the red horse til about 2am or so. After that it becomes a little blurry from sleep deprivation. sleep Headed back out tomorrow night for some more tail chasing. I see we gained a full degree today in water temp so pool 2 should be at 60 by tomorrow. Stop by a say hello if you are out tomorrow night. I'm in a 16.5 Alumacraft with a 25 Suzy. See ya!!

Went to Ford dam today with my two year old (he did great!). Caught and released a few smallies and kept one small cat. I also caught an 11" crappie on a huge tube jig! Caught lots of drum, decided to keep two to see how they tasted. The funny part was that my kids liked the drum better than the cat. I fried them both in beer batter. Crappie was a simple pan fry with bread crumbs; hard to beat that!

Get out there!

Fished the Ford Dam area today from shore for a couple of hours. Caught quite a few smallies on various presentations. How has the Walleye fishing been in this area as of late?

bdawg were you on the minneapolis side? i think i might have seen you. i was out in a 16th older style lund tonight for a few hours. walleye fishing has been slow since the spawn... the majority of fish being caught up by the dam (for me) as of late has been smallies, crappies, sheepshead, carp, and the occasional walleye throw in. the only walleyes i have caught on p2 since the spawn have been really small (10-14 inchers).

I was on the St. Paul side and fished until about 7:30. Did you or did you see people catching some smallies on the Minneapolis side?

i think i saw you on the st paul side... yes, there were a couple guys walking the rip rap shoreline on the minneaps side and i saw them catch a few smallies.. i wasn't watching them for more then a minute or two and saw them catch a couple, so i assume they did pretty well.. they werent staying in one spot though, they were "shore trolling" so to speak.

I got a few small walleyes yesterday, on silver crank baits. The white bass were hitting better. They were in eddies and they wanted firetiger.

im looking to catch some big wallys this wknd.. not looking to keep anything just want pictures. were is my best bet cr dam or pool 2.. and were on these are good spots? never river fished before? will be fishing from shore..

I don't know much about pool 2. But I can tell you if you want to catch some big CARP, go to the CR dam. I havent fished the cr dam much, but never have caught a walleye there...plenty of bass, crappie and carp...but no eyes

Pool 2 is always a good place to catch walters. The last month I have not heard anything big coming out of Pool 2 by those who have been targeting them, but fish are being caught. Up by Coon Rapids dam you can keep walleyes if you wanted after mid-night Friday/Saturday. Pool 2 is catch & release only year round for walleyes.

The thread at the top of the forum marked "everything you need to know" will help you out on spots for fishing Pool 2. Check out the Mississippi north forum for more information on the CR dam.

Good luck!

shack its just the opposite, ive caught nothing BUT big walleye on P2 this year.

blakeb i noticed there is a number of places to park and shore fish.. is there one that you would suggest, and fishing methods? heck i dont even care if i catch big carp.. i just want some pictures!! i have my gps with navionics i dont know if this will help me from shore but i thought i would bring it just in case..