• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River Pool 4 Fishing Reports Pool 5, 6, 7 , 8 & 9

yesterday the water temp was 38-40deg.hopefully with this warmer weather it will warm up soon.

as the water warms up the fishing will pick up.some saugers and a few walleye are starting to show up start at the mouth of bay point park and work all the feeder creeks on the way up to the dam.use a bright colored ikes hair jig tipped with a fathead minnow start in 10-12fow keep your line as vertical as possible.if you have any questions call or stop by the store good luck IKE

The water temp on Thursday started at 37 and warmed to a balmy 38.2 by mid afternoon, and back to 37.5 by the time I was off the water at 6:30.

The fishing was tougher than tough on Thursday. I started at some spots south of Colville all the way to the head of Pepin. Then all the way to the [PoorWordUsage]. I tried jigs and minnows, jigs and plastics, hair jigs and Rapalas. No fish caught. Saw 4 13" walleyes caught on the lock side at the [PoorWordUsage] in the hour we were up there. Saw another 13"er caught at Hay Creek.

The water is so high and soooooo cold. It will be another 10-14 days before she cranks up. IMO No warm temps until late next week.

Good Luck to anyone heading out. Very tough conditions.

I had 37 Thursday morning, warming to 38.2 mid day and back to 37.5 when I left the river at 6:30.

Very tough fishing conditions. Only saw 5 13" walleyes/sauger caught. 4 at the lock near [PoorWordUsage], and 1 at Hay creek.

I'm rather new to this river fishing thing--does water temp make a big difference and when would be a good time to try and make a day or two trip to the river to hit some of the walleyes i've been hearing os much about?

Ike, I like hearing your reports and like the up to date info you always post on here.

water temp makes a big difference. Walleye are looking for 43-48 to spawn and a warming trend would stimulate them to feed in preparation for the spawn. when to fish is primarily guided by that water temp on pool 4 this time of year. the cold run off has put things behind somewhat. But I beleive when the temp starts to warm it will pick up significantly because those fish are there. Look like the temps this coming week will start to reach 50 (air temps) and maybe 60 by end of next weekend so I would think the next 3 weeks would be peak.

Most spots were reading 37.5 yesterday morning. By sundown, most area were reading 39.5. The sun warmed the water nicely yesterday. The problem is with the snow pending, the temp will likely drop a bit.

I was out yesterday and had a little luck. We fished for 7 hours and caught 11 fish. 2 Walleye and 9 Sauger. The biggest fish we caught was (2) 18 inch Sauger, nice fish, real fat. The water temp went from 37.8 up to 40.3. Not as many boats by the dam.

`

My sons going to be home on leave next week before being deployed to Afghanistan and we'd like to get out and do some fishing. Any suggstions as to where we might in the area. I've got a 14 foot jon with a 15hp...don't know how the river is to the South right now. Hopefully with some warmer dryer weather the water temp will hop up a few degrees.

it is only going to get better from now. temps will be up where they need to be and current back down. You should be just fine in your boat, good luck to you guys let us know how you guys did. And Welcome to FM

I am coming down to go fishing on friday morning. I am wondering if there is anyone that is willing to give me some advise. On how to, where to, with what to fish the river. Just alittle help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

I would start out infront of haycreek using hairjigs and a minnow. From there you can work your way up river fishing the mouth of the back channel, across from Everts Resort, just above everts, and up to the lock #3. Hair jigs, minnow, ring worms in the red with a white tail, or 3 way rigging are your best bet this time of year.

thanks for the advise. how far from the ramp is haycreek, how far is the lock from the ramp, where is the best place to get bait and the latest fishing update. thanks again.

Haycreek is right outside of baypoint park which is the ramp. The lock is about 3 miles north of baypoint park, I would suggest Ikes Tackle in Red Wing, they have the best bait and the most hairjigs in the area that I have seen. Heard they are getting alot of nice saugers but with this stable weather coming things should really start picking up.

Just a quick Pool four report, but IMO the bite is on! (we got twelve legals for the box in four hours - good for P4 under current conditions)jig and plastic, jig and minnow, hair and minnow, or minnow plain hook. 8 to 15 fow for vertical fishing or shallower on the cast. Walleye and saugers on both rock and sand. Keep catchin' Turk

I took my PB on 4-7-2009 13.9# 30" lady on a gold blade. white bass were lit up for 2 hours every cast. only caught 2 walleyes and 1 sauger but the one was worth the time I have put in this year. I am not sure how to post picts so any help would be great.

Thanks for the report Turk.

Cedar - You need a photo bucket or similar type uploading system for your computer. There are directions in the Photo sharing page that work great, or I will post them for you if you send them to my email. It should be below the line. You may want to do it in the current reports at the top of the Pool 4 thread (or is it forum, i'm not sure).

Thanks for the report Turk. Cedar, that is a heck of a fish, would love to see it.