• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River Pool 4 Fishing Reports Pool 5, 6, 7 , 8 & 9

All right my fishing report for 04/17 thru 04/19. Did not start out to good for me on Friday, Got to the river at Bayport at about 10am.( This was also the first having the boat out for the year) Got boat backed off the trailer and then it died, started it back up ran for about 10 seconds and died started it back up ran for abaout 5 seconds then It wouldn't start at all. This is a 08 175 Optmax. So I was really not happy, seeing that I just had it serviced, I got on the phone with my dealer, And we tried every thing we could to try to get me up and running nothing worked, we figured that I must have been have a fuel problem, we so we called around to find a Mercury dealer close that could get me in to take a look, So we found the one thats right down the road from Iks bait, Very nice poeple and he took a look at it and couldn't figure it out, so I was on the Road to the dealer in Ham Lake they would have a mechanic on standby for when I got there, So I spend the day in my boat watching them work on it. Good thing I had all my snacks and pop in the boat, Any way they had me back on the road at 4:30. And they had a very hard time figureing it out, Right now the Optmax has a Bulletin out on it. If one of the coil packs go out in a certin way it takes the computer out ( NICE ). THANK GOD FOR WARRENTIYS. So back to fishing got back to the river at about 6pm fished one spot and caught 5 eyes before it got dark had another two nice ones right up next to the boat that got off. So packed up and was back the next morning, at about 6:30 guess fishing was slow in till 10:30 then it just got better as the day went on. Ended up with 25 to 30 eyes and saugers with the biggest being 20 inches or so, that one was up by the dam. Out of all our fish on Sat about 10 would have been keepers biggest sauger was about 18 inches, All the fish that mattered ALL came on plastics best colors were orange and chartreuse ,One nice one did come on a floating Rap. And it seemed my best depth for fishing was 11 to 14 foot range, Sunday it was cold and wet, we lasted about 45 min. Had one nice eye up to the side of the boat,and that was about it.ALL in ALL awsome weekend once I got the bugs worked out.

Looking for info on Lake Cooper on Missippi river. The weather looks like it's finally gonna break and so will the wind. Looking for some fishing report besides the Iowa DNR slow report.

I just got off of a 5 day fishing stint on P4. We had numbers of small fish and some real nice fish up to 29". Most of the larger fish were spawned out. The location really varied from one day to another. Saturday was the only slow day for us only catching just 2 legals. If you look at the MTT results the weights reflect the bite. Sunday the big girls were on the chew. It took over 30 pound to get in the top 3.

Key baits were ringworms, ringers and minnows. We did pop a few on bladebaits but we could not turn a big girl on one. One team did exceptionally well using them though. Dean must have been using his Bladebait Voodoo!

mw

Well I fished pool 4 yesterday from 4pm to 7pm with my son. All I can say is HOLLY WHITE BASS. Witch he loved being that he's only 4. And some of them were huge and you caught them pretty much as fast as you could get your line in the water in the right spot any way.. Once a gain the river has shocked we with the size of some of those fish. Ended up catch 8 eye & saugers, with only 1 1/2 of them were keepers lots of dinks but still fun.

Just wanted to say thanks to Turk for a great fishing trip last Thursday on pool 4. Wanted to learn the river and the techniques used on it and wasn't disappointed. They guy worked his tail off keeping us on fish in every spot we fished ( and there were a lot of them) with constant attention to boat control and constantly tweaking presentation all day long. He was persistently patient and very willing to show and teach us what and why he was doing what he was doing. Was a great investment and wouldn't hesitate to go with him again and hope the funds allow a St Croix trip in the future for small mouth. One of the rods he uses is 8'3"s long and would be great on Mille Lacs for rigging the north end sand and slip bobber fishing. When the budget allows I'm getting 2 of them.

Thanks Turk for a great fishing trip!

Dwight

I just got off of a 5 day fishing stint on P4. We had numbers of small fish and some real nice fish up to 29". Most of the larger fish were spawned out. The location really varied from one day to another. Saturday was the only slow day for us only catching just 2 legals. If you look at the MTT results the weights reflect the bite. Sunday the big girls were on the chew. It took over 30 pound to get in the top 3.

Key baits were ringworms, ringers and minnows. We did pop a few on bladebaits but we could not turn a big girl on one. One team did exceptionally well using them though. Dean must have been using his Bladebait Voodoo!

mw

Mike, can you give a little hint at what kind of areas guys were fishing? I was down there Sunday and stunk the place up. We fished backwater openings, cuts and kneck downs in the backchannel and of course some of the community holes. Tried jiggin, pitchin, 3-wayin cranks and bait but was pretty slow overall for us and no real big ones. Congrats on your finish also. I thought it was a tough bite, couldn't believe the 30lb weights that day, makes a guy feel pretty small!LOL

Just wanted to say thanks to Turk for a great fishing trip last Thursday on pool 4. Wanted to learn the river and the techniques used on it and wasn't disappointed. They guy worked his tail off keeping us on fish in every spot we fished ( and there were a lot of them) with constant attention to boat control and constantly tweaking presentation all day long. He was persistently patient and very willing to show and teach us what and why he was doing what he was doing. Was a great investment and wouldn't hesitate to go with him again and hope the funds allow a St Croix trip in the future for small mouth. One of the rods he uses is 8'3"s long and would be great on Mille Lacs for rigging the north end sand and slip bobber fishing. When the budget allows I'm getting 2 of them.

Thanks Turk for a great fishing trip!

Dwight

One of the best out there to learn the river system from and he is a great teacher. I use the 8'3" rod on the rivers as well. Works great as a dead lindy stick and they jig with a shorter rod off the same side of the boat. I love it.

I can't give too much info since I'm very protective of my spots. I will say that I was fishing a series of log piles in 9-12 FOW both pitching and dragging jigs. We did have 5 bites but missed one that could have helped us out.

mw

Quote:
One of the rods he uses is 8'3"s long and would be great on Mille Lacs for rigging the north end sand and slip bobber fishing.

I second that! I finally purchased a second one for dragging jigs. I have been using the 8'3" almost exclusivly this spring and am very impressed with the way this rod handles big walleyes. Last week we were putting 3 to 10 pound walleyes in the boat with these. This rod matches the sensitive tip to feel the ultra light bites to the backbone to turn those big fish up in the current. I will be buying a few more as well.

mw

Basseyes and Grand Dad,

You are welcome, having cool people to guide makes all the difference, there is some pressure (more than some actually a lot)guiding trust me, and when your customers have a little patience and let the day develop good things happen.

Take care have a great season stay in touch!

Turk

With 2 big tourneys coming to town the reports have been rather limited since nobody's talking. I can assure you the big fish are still biting. This fish took a bladebait casted to 7 FOW last evening. We were out for about 2 hours and only had 1 bite but it was a good one! The fish measured 28.25".

Picture007-1.jpg

Fished pool 4 yesterday from Coville park all the way up to the dam with four people. Not much happening out there, although from the looks of one of the weigh ins we drove by the tournament guys were catching some nice ones. Caught a half dozen decent saugers by the locks coupled with a quite a few sheepies and a few whitebass. Seemed to be hitting the most on white and black jig heads with a minnow. Either way it was a great day to be on the water!

I was oout there Sat from 9 to noon kind of slow, the fish are not were the use to be for me, Got one 18 inch sauger and one 16 inch eye and a bunch of them sheep head.

I was out Sat from 2-4:30. The fishing was pretty slow...I was down by the head of the lake fishing the back waters pulling plugs and caught about 10 itty bitty walleyes. Only saw one other fish caught. There were about 6 boats crammed into Katrina which i found amusing! haha

are any of you guys coming across somr channel cats i want to make a trip down there,

With 2 big tourneys coming to town the reports have been rather limited since nobody's talking. I can assure you the big fish are still biting. This fish took a bladebait casted to 7 FOW last evening. We were out for about 2 hours and only had 1 bite but it was a good one! The fish measured 28.25".

Picture007-1.jpg

Very nice fish Mike. If you got a tough bite but pull one of those piggies in, it makes for a good day.

• 1 month later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Mississippi River Pool 9

Channel Catfish - Good: Fishing rocky shorelines with minnows and night crawlers. Flathead Catfish - Good: Flathead can be caught along the channel fishing small bullheads on the bottom. Bluegill - Fair: Some fish are being caught by the power plant at Lansing. Use a night crawler under a bobber. Largemouth Bass - Good: Fish rocky shorelines and backwater areas with top-waters and crankbaits. Walleye - Fair: Walleye fishing has been fair trolling the faces of wing dams. Freshwater Drum - Excellent: Drum are being caught in many areas using a night crawler on the bottom.

Mississippi River Pool 9

Channel Catfish - Excellent: Fish are being caught on stink bait. Bluegill - Good: using night crawler on the bottom in side sloughs Largemouth Bass - Excellent: Crankbaits on rocky shorelines Walleye - Good: Trolling crankbaits in the side sloughs

What do you consider a side slough? You don't have to give me any specific places, just wondering what you were referring to and how deep those sloughs should be, some are pretty shallow and I wouldn't think the walleyes would be there right now.

• 2 months later...

Mississippi River Pool 9

The river level at Lansing is 7.85 feet. The water temperature is 60 degrees. Northern Pike - Fair: Northern pike are being caught in some of the side sloughs using either crankbaits or spinnerbaits. Channel Catfish - Fair: Catfish can be caught using a night crawler on the wing dams. Bluegill - Good: Bluegill fishing has been good around the Blackhawk Lake area. Use night crawlers to catch these fish. Smallmouth Bass - Fair: Fish are concentrated along rocky shorelines and wing dams with current. Use small inline spinners to catch these fish. Crappie - Fair: Using jig and minnow in the running sloughs. Walleye - Fair: A few walleyes being caught in Minnesota Slough trolling crankbaits.

hi this kingfisherpat

i fish the dame on st cloud state

fishing for crappies i buy bait crappies minnows

ive tryed leechs

everything i could no crappies

what am i doing wrong please help me out here

if yave any ideas please tell me

now case i might go next weekend

signd kingfisherpat

The guys on the Mississippi River North forum could give you more specific advice than us guys down south.

• 2 months later...

Mississippi River Pool 9

The boat ramps have become locked in ice. Solid ice for fishing has formed in most areas having 6 inches or more, but the rain events last week had weakened the ice in some areas. Anglers should always use caution in areas where heavy snow may have insulated ice or areas of potential current. Bluegill - Good: Shore Slough near Lansing and Blackhawk park on the Wisconsin side continue to be popular fishing areas with mixed reports and some good catches of Bluegills and crappie. Crappie - Fair: Mixed reports with a few nice crappies being caught. Shore Slough near Lansing and Blackhawk park on the Wisconsin side continue to be popular fishing spots. Yellow Perch - Good: A fair number of nice-sized yellow perch are being reported from the lakes along Minnesota Slough. These include Cord Wood Lake, Bear Paw Lake and Fish Lake. Near Lansing, the yellow perch bite has picked up in Shore Slough.

• 2 weeks later...

Mississippi River Pool 9

The boat ramps have become locked in ice. Solid ice for fishing has formed in most areas having 8 inches or more. Anglers should always use caution as warm weather may weaken ice especially in areas near shore and where there may be current. Northern Pike - Fair: A few nice pike have been caught on tip up near Minnesota Slough. Bluegill - Fair: Shore Slough near Lansing and Blackhawk park on the Wisconsin side continue to be popular fishing areas with mixed reports and some good catches of bluegills and crappie. Fair numbers of bluegill are being reported from the lakes along Minnesota Slough. These include Cord Wood Lake, Bear Paw Lake and Fish Lake. At times the bluegill have been stacked up along the weed line in the very upper reaches of Fish Lake. Largemouth Bass - Fair: There have been reports of a few decent largemouth bass caught in the middle of Fish Lake. Some anglers are reporting catching nice sized largemouth bass on teardrops baited with wax worms in the Lansing Village Creek Marina area. Crappie - Fair: Recently a few crappies have been caught in Indian along Wisconsin Slough. Shore Slough near Lansing and Blackhawk park on the Wisconsin side continue to be popular fishing spots. Yellow Perch - Fair: Yellow perch were being caught in the lakes along Minnesota Slough. These include Cord Wood Lake, Bear Paw Lake and Fish Lake. This has been a hit or miss year, and activity can rapidly change in less than a day.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else out fishing?

Here's a report for Pool 9

Ice conditions are excellent. Bluegill fishing is slow. Some bluegill are coming out of the Village Creek boat ramp and above the Marina in Lansing. Fishing is slow and most anglers using teardrops and wax worms.

The crappie bite is also Slow. Not many caught but some have been large. Some are using wax worms and teardrops and some using baits like gulp.