• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River Pool 4 Fishing Reports Pool 5, 6, 7 , 8 & 9

the back channel landing is along highway 63 as your crossing into WI it is right next to the second bridge across from Mr Sippi.

ok. that is the place I'm thinking off.

the launch must be closed then? is everts still the only place to launch for p4?

im not sure i have not been down in a while but everts will have a ramp open, i herd a rumor that they may have raised their launch prices..... not sure though also there is a landing in bay city that may be open i have never used it but have herd it is usable but has no dock.

Does anyone know what's going on in the Maiden Rock/Frontenac area or even down at Alma? I just talked to the bait shop in Alma who said it has been slow but the accesses are open. Has anyone gone out in either location lately? Thinking of hitting one of those two places tomorrow

Well, gave it a shot down in Alma today, no problem at the access. The guys in the bait shop said it has been slow and the fish that have been caught haven't had much size. He was right about the size, but we did pretty good in terms of numbers. Filled out both our limits with 11 saugers and one 19" male walleye by 1:00. Threw back quite a few short walleye and a bunch of saugers. Also managed to catch three very large carp. Two actually smacked ring worms, the other was snagged in the tail, which made for quite the fight. Meat seemed to do us best, with a lot of fish coming on just a plain hook below heavy split shots. The fish we did catch on plastics came on white plastics, this was consistent with the only other boat by us, that was also catching them on white plastics.

The water was high, but not a lot of debris. Around 44 degrees.

landings around RedWing should be open by mid week.a fellow just called me from the Wisc chanell and said he had no problem launching there.with the fish biting and the landings opening up what more could we ask for.ill keep you posted when bay point opens up. stand by IKE.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The big walleyes are putting on the feedbag. Using a simple jig and minnow with a rod designed to do the job allows Turk to pound a very nice eye. Mile Walerak is sharing the following video for your enjoyment:

More videos at HSOshow.com™

If the baracades are up is it still legal to launch from the wisconson channel? is it a launch at your own risk deal?

i think it was reported that it is a $1000 fine if it is enforced. but many people have launched from there with baracades up and nobody has reported getting a fine.

I would give them a call I believe he is open. But to get to the dock you have to walk across a plank which must be getting smaller and smaller due to the water going down. Good luck.

Thanks! I was down there two weeks ago without any problems. I called down there earlier today and the voicemail said they were still closed. Maybe I'll just take my chances and head down anyway smile

Well I heard thru the darn grape vine again that they are going to try and open bay point park by the weekend.

the walleye are moving up.guys are catching alot of fish around the mouth of bay point park and also the hay creek area.a fellow told me he caught and let go a 12+ pound walleye all spound out.and alot of eater fish from 17-18inches he was fishing on the wisc.side in 12-15fow.vertical jigging with a brite colored 3/8ozhair jig tipped with a fat head minnow.he said blade baits were also working.I think this next week or so is going to be great. if you have any questions call or stop by the store.good luck IKE

Just wondering if all landings still closed around Lake City Area, can't handle it anymore need to get the boat out.

from what i have been told hoksila was open and they were cleaning up roschon's a couple days ago. baypoint is open in red wing the back channel landing is usable with two people. and i believe the are cleaning up coville to try and get that open soon too. also Alma city landing is open and west newtons new landing is usable.

Losta people out yesterday on Pool 4. Very few catch. Some cigars being caught and a one or two nice fish I seen caught by others but no where anything consistent. Will have to see if the warmer weather brings in anything. Otherwise watching everyone on the waters this past Saturday it was pretty slow and disapointing.

I agree....bite is slow right now. Not sure where the good reports are coming from but fished south of Red Wing up to the dam and didnt see much happening Saturday or Sunday. Might try tomorrow again and will report.

Was out on saturday, caught 5 between the 2 of us, the biggest was 18" Plus some white bass. Lot's of short bites and fish that came off. We saw a guy up by the dam get a 28 but that was it for big ones, almost everything we saw caught was small.

All fish came on a jig and minnow. I would recomend not going downstream of redwing unless you have a lot of time to get back, with the fast current and no wake zone it takes a long time. That is unless you're the guy in the ranger I saw going up and down on full plane. shocked

I agree the bite was a little off for me on Saturday. We started at the head of the lake and worked our way up to the dam by mid morning. Only had 3 keepers to show for. Had oodles of tiny fish. Caught fish on all presentations. Paddletails seemed to be the best. Had some on a hook and minnow also. Had the boat on the trailer by 1:00. Good to be back out. Hopefully things pick up a little.

mw

Yep, that was me too on both Saturday evening and Sunday evening. 8 small fish--too small to keep. It will get better...soon, I hope.

The morning bite on Saturday was slow. Only picked up 1-25" walleye. Took a break at Everts and hit it again. Found some warmer water and the fish were stacked! Caught 23 fish in all. Put 3 in the livewell. A 15,16 and 1 17. Jig and a minnow in 19' of water. The bite was good for 2 hours and then they were done.

Glad to hear some folks caught fish on Saturday, we started at the dam and worked our way down without much luck. Still fun to be out.

Looking to possibly get out Sunday pm. Judging by the lack of reports lately I am assuming the fishing is either really good or really slow... Can anyone tip me off how the bite from Baypoint up to the dam is?

Was up by the dam yesterday evening. Pretty consistent bite by small sauger, walleye, sheepies and stripers. Nothing over 14". Slack water near shore. Water temp 49. Was nice to thump the bottom with a jig again!

Was up by the dam yesterday evening. Pretty consistent bite by small sauger, walleye, sheepies and stripers. Nothing over 14". Slack water near shore. Water temp 49. Was nice to thump the bottom with a jig again!

Classic immediate post-spawn bite. The big girls will be resting up a little while before they go on the feedbag.

• 3 weeks later...

Fished lower pool 4 in some backwater areas and picked up a nice batch of walleyes and saugers. Fished anywhere from 8-16 FOW and the Lindy Shadling Redtail chub was the top producer.

• 1 month later...

anyone ever fish the trempealeau bay area? camping at perrot state park in a week and would really appreaciate some pointers.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a 2man limit of eater saugers on Pepin yesterday from about noon to late afternoon. Key is a little current in 25 to 30 FOW with 28' being the magic spot but you'll find em within that range. Drift down it with Lindy spinner rigs with a crawler. Mixed in with them were a buttload of sheepies and one 22" walleye from 27 FOW as bonus. Took me 4 hrs to find a consistent bite, might I add. Once I found it, I realized if we drifted too far, we were just wasting time. So I trimmed down my drift path to the 100 yd stretch that produced. It didn't take more than 5 min per drift and I'd have to turn around and start over.. But that section produced 1 or 2 keepers about every 3rd pass. The rest were throwback dinks or sheepies. A glorious cloudy Sunday morning and a beautiful clear sky in the afternoon. Also trolled Minnow Raps (Size is MR9) and dragged spinners in front of the launch in Lake City and found short walleyes as well... Even with the boat hatch in the afternoon, they were still hittin.

• 3 months later...

It was a tough Saturday on the water but fishing was alright. Had about a dozen Saugers couple 14"s and 6 walleyes all shorts with one nice 13.5 crappie. jig and a minnow was best no plastics where getting them for us.

Interesting launch from what I thought was Dean's but just an old jerk at the shop. It always starts a trip great when you are told by the bait shop guy to go home you’re not going to catch anything. I was there to spend some money and he seemed like we were just annoying him by making us sell us bait and tackle at a bait and tackle shop. Without trying we spent $50 and I would have spent 3 times that had he not been so short with us.

We will be back but may be never from that launch.