• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

have you been getting any rain lately? I will be staying on Round lake in a couple of weeks and last I had heard the lake was down quite a bit.

Rain? What's that??? wink

We have been getting a TON of rain this summer. I'd have to guess the most we've had in many, many years. I think water levels are close to normal.

Brian

The lake level on Round is close to normal. The fishing however is not. The fishing tapered off at the end of May and has never recovered. Last year was the best year we have ever had and this year is by far the worst. There has been an algea bloom on the water for well over 2 months and I haven't seen more than 2 boats on the pond in about as long.

2 weeks ago Winnie level I thought was a little lower then normal. The lake was pretty high in June but they have had the dam wide open pretty much all summer.

Magnum Mike- Yes Round was hot last year especially in the Fall. I never made it up there cause I knew there were a ton of boats. There were alot of fish taken out of there and I dont think it could handle the pressure?!

Small lake + Hot bite + lots of internet chatter = several years of recovery for our little lake. It seems to happen every 4-5 years. It's frustrating but there's not much anyone can do about it.

Walleye fishing on area lakes has been very good for the month of August, Sand Lake look for walleyes in 12 to 15 ft Jig or rig has been the best presentation, also crappies are showing up, Bowstring Lake, again looking for walleyes, the best depth has been 8 1/2 ft. Spinners tip with a 1/2 crawler or reddish type shad raps have the choice of baits, don't forget on both of these lake you can keep 9 northern pike limit pre person ( under 22 inches) great for pickling, and help out the lake, by removing these fish. great action for the kids. Big Winnie also has a hot bite, with a strong south wind Muskie bay has been good, along with stony point. spinners tip with a 1/2 crawler or rig with 3 ft. leader again tip with a crawler or jig minnow has work well, on the calmer days the main bars has produce a lot of fish in 19 to 17 ft. range. rigs with 6 to 7 ft. leaders tip with crawler or leeches has been the best presentation. Signs good for the fall crappie bite in cut-foot-souix area. Be safe, Have fun, enjoying a day on the water.

Charlie Worrath

WOW! Love this forum! I hope I can get some info. I use to go up to Winnie in the 60's thru the 80's then stopped because of work. The other problem is we always fished late spring and this will be the first time to hit Winnie in the Fall. It's been 20 years or so and I sure could use a refresher on spots to hit. We mostly fish for Northerns but will hunt for Muskies at times too. We also use to hit Tammarac Bay for Bass but Not sure if that holds fish anymore, looks very shallow on the maps. Anyone have suggestions on areas to try out?

Fall is a great time to fish for what ever bites. I have to admit that I am sort of a walleye snob but don't mind pulling in anything that bites. We like to hit the north shore rocks on the big lake or Cut Foot depending on what mother nature gives us around the 1st of October but this year I may have to fish later and that will more then likely be a Cut Foot bite. My favorite way is a jig and minnow and in the fall my first choice for minnow would be Rainbow chubs. With chop and wind you can fish as shallow as 6' but if it is calm you might have to fish anywhere from 14' to 20'+. As the time gets closer you will have a better idea just how the fall will setup as far as temps because it will all play a part on where you will find the fish.

Thanks Jim! We will look for some Eyes when we get hungry and want a fish fry. We usually have Musky fever for most of the day. We will fish for Northerns and Bass just to get the smell of fish on our hands. Hopfully the cabbage weeds hold out a bit longer.

rongorr, how about a report? Is that green stuff off the lake? Have the fish started biting at all? It has been a long summer of nasty water and poor fishing.

Fished Sunday in Cut Foot fishing was good. Jigs and shiners did the best. Mike no signs of green stuff in Cut Foot never did go on the main lake.

Thanks but I was questioning the condition of Round. I have a camp there and we have had issues since late May. It showed signs of clearing up after some of the recent heavy rains but was back over Labor Day weekend. I was in Canada last week and won't be back to the shack until Duck Opener 2010. Stupid weddings...

Coming up this weekend, staying on the SE side across from Cut Foot. Not having fished Winni in way too long, any tried and true tips for early fall fishing?

Mainly looking for 'eyes though some nice crappies wouldn't hurt.

Still some green on the lake. fished 1 day on Round caught 0 fish! Fishing Winniw now and catching fish, but Walleyes are eluding us.

Thanks for the scum report. I did hear from one of my neighbors that the NW corner of Winnie has been kicking out walleyes. Try the first break from Rocky point to Stony Point. Don't be afraid to run shallow. They were getting limits in 2-5 FOW just over a week ago.

wish i would have seen your repy earlier. We are heading home tomoorow. Ran into a real rude boat today. Black lund MN7065kp. we were trolling and caught a perch he insantly ran to the spot and anchored. Later we were troling and he motored right into our path and stopped. Pretty much an [badWordUsage] in my book.

On Winnie today just outside of the Third River channel. South and Southeast winds. Got five walleyes and a gazillion northerns in 9-10 fow. Never have I caught the northerns on Winnie like today...almost as bad as Bowstring.

Not really. I kept one 4lber to stuff and bake. We fished from about 10 until 3:30 and probably caught 15 of the greasers.

Well this is it for me for fishing reports. I am done with my season and off to hunt and fish for myself. Fall is my favorite time of the year. It has been a good season fishing has been excellent for all species, the people with me fishing and asking questions have been great, thank you. Also if you all ever have questions through out the year do not hesitate to contact me and ask.

\Fishing this past week has been great the walleye have been doing their fall thing a good shallow bite. Winnie, cutfoot and sand have really been going strong. The fish seem to be in that 10-13 ft when there is no wind and shallower with a good wind. Jig and minnow have been the best but some times a crawler and lindy has been the ticket.

The crappies have been going full swing with most the fish going deep and suspended. Hoover over them and get them to bite with a little 1/8 or 1/16 oz fireball and a chub.

Sunnies have been deep suspended with the crappies or on the edge of the weeds in the 10-12 ft of water. A small jig with a crawler or a maggot on the hook should get them going.

Good luck fishing and thank you for following my reports

Jason Boser

218-999-3391

Well this is it for me for fishing reports.

Good luck fishing and thank you for following my reports

Jason Boser

218-999-3391

Thanks for your reports. They have been invaluable to those of us who can't make it up there often but would like a good report of current conditions.

Look forward to your spring fishing reports and good luck hunting!

Fishing Sunday was good, shiners and jigs have been working great in 9 to 13 feet. Was mainly fishing the north shore but there are alot of fish on the weed edges everywhere.

• 2 months later...

I have never fished Winnie and I am looking to give it a try this year. I plan to come sometime near the end of Jan. or start of Feb. I have a 7x16 wheel house and would like to give it a shot. Perch, eyes, pan fish ... really does not matter just want to catch some fish and have some fun.

Is there a better access to go out of with that wheelhouse?

What areas of the lake are a good start? (not looking for your gps spots just ideas) I have looked at the lake maps and have some of my own but... never been there so...

Night bite?

Slots?

Bait?

Bait shops?

Restaurants?

What other info can you give me?

i'd recommend accessing out of highbanks. good people good access and good road system. i know i will start a disagreement here but i prefer goerge and the bait shoppe on the east end of deer river. everytime i go to freds there closed. i dont have anything against freds bait though, thats been my only issue.

Lots of options up there, no bad ones in my opinion.

I like Freds Bait and also RiverRat bait between Cohasset and Deer River.

I mostly go out of Nodaks, also a very good, easy access onto the lake and a great road system.

Can't tell you about the night bite, I only fish it in the day time.

• The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked