• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

Leechbait

Some of the best fishing is just getting started right now as the water warms. Its a blast to spend the day around the humps in the northwest corner. So much structure and so little time.

Any thoughts on the next major bug hatch. Fished during those and have not had much luck.

Does is pay to jig fish with Twister tails? or do you have to have a minnow on?

Well here goes, spent a whole week on big Winne,6/12/10 thru 6/18/10.Wow from 59 degrees and rain to 80 plus with no wind and on Thrusday's golf ball sized hail to Fridays 50 mph winds. It proved a challenging and rewarding week.Our group of 7 caught alot of keeper and released many slot sized Walleyes. From the bars to the shallows this lake is full of fish. A 27" monster took the pot,(released) but many big fish made for a great trip.As far as pan fish we also had a hard time on smaller lakes as it was later in the season than normal. A thanks to Nodaks Resort for their hospitality. Roger and his crew run a Great resort.Thank you, See you next year.

Great fishing report ! Glad to hear that the big girl was released to provide someone else another good memory from the lake. The slot has made the lake a great fishery and for the most part can provide consistent action all of the time.

Another good week of fishing. Winnie is still biting with a lot of fish starting to come in off the humps and bars on the north side of the lake. I have been fishing the northern most humps in 22-24 ft of water. Most of these humps are big sand bars that come up off the main basin mud. We have been starting to use leeches and crawlers alittle but the jig and minnow is still king. Out in the deeper water I have been using a 1/4 oz northland gumball jig and a shiner. Its been harder to get the spottails so when I have too I use a golden shiner, both work good. When using a lindy rig remember this time of the year you do not need the long snells you can stick with a short 3-4 ft one. With a good wind we still got some fish in the shallows but they tended to be on the small side.

Good luck fishing

Jason Boser

Fishing walleyes this past week has it's up and downs, with the warmer water temps the fish are changing over to more leech and crawler bite, the may fly hatch is also coming to an end on area lakes. The downs are when we have to deal with the high winds, because most of the walleyes we been catching are on mid lake structure 21ft. to 24ft. depth range. When fishing these areas you have to fish these walleyes slow and somewhat vertical. Use your electronics to locate the fish on these humps or main lake breaks. It will save a lot of time, it's called finding the spot on the spot. Look for them, like you would on a shoreline bite, check all the points, inside turns, and most importantly the sharps breaks. I like to be somewhat old fashion and throw a marker on the outside of the school of fish, when I locate on these spots, because they usually hold pretty tight. On days when this is not possible we have located fish tight in cabbage weeds, jig and minnow, or run a spinner along the edge, tip with a leech or crawler. Be safe & enjoy a great day on the water, in Northern Minnesota.

Charlie Worrath

www.fishingminnesota.com

[email protected]

218-246-2159

pretty good so far havent really been in the shallows for awhile now

Jason

Jason,

Have you been finding fish on midlake structures that top out around 21-24 ft or are you working the 21-24ft breaks of structures which top out shallower than this?

Thanks

Was out Friday on Moses in the three-four foot rollers. Fished primarily the top in 16 feet but also worked the edges down to 25 feet. Fished 8 full hours and managed 25-30 between my bro-in-law. Nothing huge, couple around 22.5 but many nice eaters. We noticed how chunky and healthy the fish were. Crawlers and leeches seemed to work about equal and 6-7 foot leaders were better than the short ones.

Another hot week of fishing with some days reaching that 80 plus degrees. With the heat and limited wind I pretty much fished winnie the whole time. Winnie has been good with most of the fish coming off the humps and bars in the main lake. Lindy rigs and leeches and crawlers have been the best bet in 22-24 ft of water. I have been using 3-5 ft snells they seem to be working best so far. What we have been doing is looking on the electronics all around the bar till we find fish and not even wetting a line till we see fish. When you find them throw out a marker and fish them don’t go wandering around where the fish are not there. I did have one morning of wind and tried the shallow rocks with a jig and minnow and picked up 2 walleye's and 12 nice perch, so there is some hope in the shallows.

I got out to Sand and Bowstring one day with limited success. I found some shallow cabbage on Bowstring that held a few fish right around the edge of the weeds that were laying on top of the water. we were using 1/8 oz gumball jigs and golden shiners.

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

mnfishing pros guide service

218-999-5591

Finally got into some decent sunny action in Cutfoot. Found them tight into weed beds. Actually had to drive the boat into the weeds and drop the bobbers into little pockets. The first time I was there I brought home about 10 nice slabs while catching about 25. I went back 2 other times with diminished results each time. Not sure what the deal was, maybe they were in there spawning and moved out, maybe fished out that particular area, I dont know....

Made it out Walleye fishing a couple times and it was generally slow for me me with a couple periods of hot, quick action. I fished several humps one day with no luck and ended up on the west side where I caught 4 keepers in 45 minutes and then they shut down, moved, whatever the heck they do. I found them by trolling a crank and when I caught that first one, dropped a leech rig and caught 3 more. My second outing I think I caught all of them on cranks. Again, quick action but then shut down. I figure the fish were on the move and the key was finding them and working a small area until they moved.

Fished last sat from 10-3 and what weird weather! The morning started out perfect then after about an hour got a few small showers and the big storm missed us to the south. Now as far as the fishing, it was pretty good nothing crazy starting to catch alot more small eyes in the 12-13" range. We were using plain rigs one on a leech and other crawlers. Crawlers caught a few more but had to fight off the perch non stop! Didnt really stay on one spot very long, picking up a couple active fish then moving on. Ended the day with keep 6 14-16.5". Heading back up thurs night and will be pre-fishing fri for this weekends MTT.

Where is the MTT out of? I would like to come see the weigh in and maybe even fish part of the day while waiting.

Heading up there tonight to prefish tomorrow for the MTT. Weigh in starts at 3 and goes till around 4. Dollar beers there as well!

As far as walleyes fishing on area lakes, the walleyes are starting to make a move from the mid lake structures back towards the shoreline, not say all the fish, but some are moving up to shoreline weed beds. It's only the end of July but with warm water temps are pushing the fish up shallow, as far as jig fishermen or ladies jig fisherwomen it's good news. as those shallow water fish can be caught wiith a jig minnow combo or on a rig with a 3 ft leader tip with a crawler or leech. The deeper walleyes are still biting a rigs tip with again leech or crawler on a 5ft to 7ft leader. Perch are also showing up on the rocks humps 12ft to 15ft range and are feeding on this years crawfish hatch, jig & minnow working well, when fishing these perch, fish just about under the boat, don't let out a lot of line,they seem to like to hide under the boat shallow. So just fish along side the boat, again this works well for perch, but walleye let a lot of line out, to get away from the boat. Larger northern pike are also starting to show up in shoeline weed beds.

Charlie Worrath

www.fishingminnesota.com

[email protected]

218-246-2159

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3029 - Release Date: 07/26/10 01:36:00

Hey Tks Jason for the information.

I am heading up to lake Winnie in the first week of Aug.

I know that is not great time to go so do you have and advice.

It has been pretty warm so I know the fish at the 20 to 25 foot range.

Also, any advice on very early or night fishing in Cut Foot Sioux.

never really do the night fishing but for daytime check out the spinnersin eaither 14-15 right before the mainlake drop or on the edges of the bars or up in the shallows 5-7 ft with a decent windy day. also dont forget the weeds and rocks up shallow with a jig and minnow

Jason

I was on the pond last fri-sun for the MTT. Friday prefishing me and a buddy caught prob 15 eyes, 8 between 14-17" and the rest 12-13". My dad(partner) was also out by him self and had 4 nice weigh fish. Neither boat caught one over 17". So it wasnt a bad day since the bite has been a little tough at times.

Sat started out this the heavy rain and our first 5 fish were 19-24", so we headed out to the middle on a big flat and then came the 20+ winds. Found mainly 13" eyes with one keeper. Once the wind died down we were able to fish our prefishing spots. Picked up 3 more good keepers and of course some too small and big, but didnt have enough time before we had to head in.

Sun we went to the same spots and with the no wind were able to work the edges. Had our 6 keepers by 9:30 and started to hump jump trying to upgrade a couple. That we did and ended up catch 15 between 15-17" couple too big and alot too small. It was a good 30-35 fish day. Ended up in 3rd place with 8.30lbs.

We fished deep all weekend from 20-27' some areas they were on the edges and others were on top. We rigged with 6-7' snells either plain hooks or added a glow bead. Crawlers seemed to work better in the morning then leeches in the afternoon. The perch are thick right now so faster trolling worked best for us .7-1.0 The shallow bite is also starting to turn on pretty good and plan on doing some of that this weekend. The top 4 places sunday were doing different techniques: bobbers, cranks, rigging, lindy spinners.

Tks Jason

I am definitely a green horn compared to you guys.

Please be patient this is a little long winded.

I want to ask you all a few questions to pick your brains.

I have no idea were spinnesin is but I am guessing that were CFS and Lake Winnie meet.

Do walleyes move into the windy areas or do you guys fish the calm waters behind the wind.?

Tell me if I am backwards or close!

Here is my guess.

So if there is a westerly wind, fish the western side of the humps and the east side shallows?

Fake Crawfish jigs in the shallows-any thoughts on this.

Jig and minnow-The jig needs to be chosen for depth and color and I have never baited a jig with a minnow…sry I am a green horn…what just hook it through the eyes.

How do you bait a jig so the bait will not come off and look good too?

What size jigs and types work well?

I love fishing but can only get back home to Minnesota once a year so I can not gain experience.

How should I fish Battle Point in CFS this time of year?

I know the Pike are always there and going after the food.

What do pike do when they are not moving to feed?

What color line works best in Lake Winnie?

I was planning on two spools of 10 and 15 pound in light green.

The 15 pound would be use with and 80 pound leader and nice 4” spoon to see if there are some willing big pike.

I am going to troll that while moving and see what happens because it has worked in the past.

We are after the walleye and perch.

I really would appreciate any of your secrets because I have to try and be fishing guide for 3 people!

We will have a great time just being together.

What do 2 eager and ok fisherman and 2 novice fisherman do on lake Winnie?!!!

Lol I know.

Thank you

Peace

Tony you really have no reason to fish walleyes with any heavier test the 6lb. This time of the year I like to fish the humps that top out around 19' to 24' and my favorite way is a Lindy rig with a 6' leader,1/4oz sinker and a size 6 or 8 salmon style hook with a leech or a crawler. I will usually have a orange bead at the hook and like to start with a nickel colored hook and if they don't like that I will try a red hook. I like to give my crawlers a shot of air. If you are fishing in Cutfoot any of the points will have fish on them at some point. This time of the year a good place to start is in the 16' to 20' range and let your graph tell you were the fish are or at least the baitfish. If you try jigs some of the colors that I like are perch pattern,green and blue. As far as size that all depends if you are going to vertical jig or cast. If you vertical fish then I would go with at least a 1/4o or 3/8oz and if you are casting then you could use anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4oz. I have friend that like pink but I always seem to catch more Northerns with that color.

A good rule of thumb is to fish the shore that the wind is blowing into, but if you are out in the middle of the lake you can have fantastic fishing even when its dead calm.

Tks Jim

I will drop one spool to a 6 lbs.

I know what a Lindy Rig is but have never fished one.

Are you guys casting a Lindy rig or slow trolling it.

I assume you are casting it.

I general..

How much action do you give a lindy ridge that is at 25 feet down.

slow or quick pulls,do walleye like going after the quick thing or do they like to sit and watch the slow mover? Does this depend on were in the lake I am fishing/time of day/water temp/wind/season...I am sure it does. Is fishing the shallows different than fishing the humps when retrieving your bait.

I would guess that there is no reason to use a Lindy Ridge in 5-9 feet of water so that was just a very generalized question.

I just want to learn as much as I can so I do not feel lost out on the lake and waste very precious time.

Tks all

Tony 99% of the time I will troll a Lindy style rig. The only time that I have casted one was off a drop off with my minnow hooked in the tail. While I am trolling my rig I like to give a pull or jerk every once in a while in case one is following my bait but will not hit it. He will think its trying to get away and will grab it. You can use rigs in shallow water but the only thing that I like is to let out more line so if the boat spooks them off to the side they will have time to swim back in the path of my rig. When you are on the humps you want to be sure your rig is on the bottom and the way to find out is you should be able to drop your rod tip and see that your line will go limp with the sinker on the bottom.

Have a good time and be sure to save me a few fish grin

I was trying to tell you spinners not some spot we have been running spinners in shallow or deep shallow 1/8 oz bullet sinker deep 1/4 oz bullet. I think the other guy answered all the rest

Jason

CC I dont know what Jason runs for speed but most people I know myself included run .8-1.5 but on average I stay around 1.2 If you are graphing fish and not getting any bites then adjust your speed and let the fish tell you want they want. As for colors your gold or silver blades are most popular, I try alot of different bead colors but white, red, green, blue are ones I tend to use.

Well at this time next week I am going to be sitting next to a camp fire cooking a days hard work.

Tks Jim, tks Jason and I will be sure to keep a few set aside for both of you but I can not be responsible for my sneaky family members.

Seriously tks for your time.

• The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked