• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

Red Door on the north side is reporting this today on other sites.

"Monday the 17th

We checked the ice, both on the old ice that is now frozen slush covered due to the rain, and the new ice which is bare ice.

Both areas are now about the same thickness. We found an average of 5.5 inches.

So, we are still only allowing walking access via The Red Door but with temps forecast to dip into the single digits the next few days, we are planning on opening the access to ATV and sled travel starting this coming weekend or maybe by Thursday. To make sure, we will keep checking the ice each day so stay tuned..."

New Years seems Iffy to me as well. Would need about 12 inches in 2 weeks. The weather is starting to look good and is possible, but would not plan on it. More probable for the week after.

Red, sorry to peak your interest. No cool story here. Every year some of resorts will have skids that have essentially been vacated. Most are not that nice and in various stages of disrepair, and just picked up one on the real cheap. Not nice, not bad, needs a lot of cleaning, window and door locks, a little structural repair .....but a good empire. This will be my fourth bought this way....the heater is always the deal breaker ...for yeah or neigh. Don't really make any money, but have got to fish for cheap often with multiple houses on many different areas of the lake.

Looking at the 5-day, I'm feeling pretty confident about taking the sled and portable out at least a mile this Sunday. Am I overly optimistic?

was out today from 1030 am - 5 pm on Garrison bay 4-5 inches of ice 1 of frozen white stuff but very solid. I was able to muster 3 slot fish but no keepers. Those pesky little perch sure do love the lindy flyers.

Looking at the 5-day, I'm feeling pretty confident about taking the sled and portable out at least a mile this Sunday. Am I overly optimistic?

From what I remember you were driving the wheelhouse last year on what I considered sketchy areas, so do think you will be way better off on the snowmobile grin Kind of the "same ole" response, but best thing to do is call a resort in the area you want to go out of and see what they have to say. With tomorrows possible winds and upcoming cold temps, cracks may start to open up/form though and seriously would not stray far from known and previously tested areas this early in the season.

Was on the north end all day Wednesday - walked from the burned out supper club and walked out a mile. First couple hundred yards was a bear walking but after that nice and smooth. Ice was 5". Did not mark a fish so we packed up and moved northwest same thing ice inside was a bear for walking then smooth. Found a large area of 3" ice- not so fun but it was good stable ice but still creeps me out. Ended the day at 6 pm with 2 perch and 1 wally to show for the effort. Guess I am pretty rusty - not a good day fishing but a great day to be on the ice and be with my son

From what I remember you were driving the wheelhouse last year on what I considered sketchy areas, so do think you will be way better off on the snowmobile grin Kind of the "same ole" response, but best thing to do is call a resort in the area you want to go out of and see what they have to say. With tomorrows possible winds and upcoming cold temps, cracks may start to open up/form though and seriously would not stray far from known and previously tested areas this early in the season.

Great memory! Was on 14" of black ice on URL this week with the castle/truck and that was far more comfortable than last years' first trip on ML. Those winds howling all night last year didn't do anything to settle my concerns either.

That being said, I was abiding by my old standby "don't be first or furthest".

A buddy had a trip planned with Tony Roach this weekend and prefishing Tony found spots with 1" of ice....needless to say they rescheduled....

Thinking of a 2 day trip late next week. I was hoping to go out to the flats on the sleds. Does anybody thinks its going to be possible?

Red, sorry to peak your interest. No cool story here. Every year some of resorts will have skids that have essentially been vacated. Most are not that nice and in various stages of disrepair, and just picked up one on the real cheap. Not nice, not bad, needs a lot of cleaning, window and door locks, a little structural repair .....but a good empire. This will be my fourth bought this way....the heater is always the deal breaker ...for yeah or neigh. Don't really make any money, but have got to fish for cheap often with multiple houses on many different areas of the lake.

I was wondering....that sounds like my way of getting out there in a permanent. Its just a big commitment. There something I like about leaving nothing behind when I leave the ice. But then again, a perm for overnighters in relative comfort....nice!

Thinking of a 2 day trip late next week. I was hoping to go out to the flats on the sleds. Does anybody thinks its going to be possible?

This what Red Door is reporting today on a couple other sites.

"Thursday the 20th

We gained another 1/2 inch of ice overnight so the tally now stands at 6.5 inches. With, finally, some temps tonight hedging around the zero mark, we should be at or around 7 inches for the weekend.

We are now open for all ATV/snow sled travel. Parking on land and access is free, as usual, of charge until we get the main roads and bridges up and going. Please understand as you travel with ATV's and or sleds, that any amount of temperature change, up or odwn, can and most likely will create the ice to move. At this point, we have no live cracks to cross within a half mile of shore. If you head to mudflat country, beware as you go. Crossing a live crack on 6-7 icnhes of ice can break it off--even with a 500lb. ATV. We surely intend to bridge any cracks along shore for ATV'ers if need be but will not be monitoring ice over this coming weekend anywhere on or around the mudflats. For now, it should be good to go but just beware....and good luck! Sounds like the bite is good!"

Was out with my son and daughter in isle bay today about 2:30 in 15' fished till 6:30 and didn't catch a single fish but we all had a blast just fishing my kids are great helped me with everything and still had fun the ice was about 11" where we fished I think it would be great if they could catch something once but I can't get them on the fish Well maybe next time

Wakon Bay yesterday. Arrived at about 9:00 am. Put first tip up down and had a flag before we could get second one down. 20 inch walleye. Second flag up before we could get the third down, broken line, brand new 20 lb test. One one more flag the rest of the day, male Northern about 25 inches. Stayed til dark. 11.5 inches of ice. At the landing met a guy who was out further (north side of the island straight north of the landing). He gave us 5 nice Northerns he didn't want to clean so I will be starting a crock full of pickled pike today.

For the snow mobile question, id say if you have a wheeler bring that for first choice, but we took a sled out on the east side today so it is possible, but minimal snow on the East side near hunters

I was out to about 15ft a little south of Hunters and ice ranged anywhere from 4 1/2 to 8 inches and literally saw a couple inch differences within a few feet. Its not so much a matter of how far out, but where; as far as where the traditional cracks are forming and what areas had the most snow cover when winter finally showed up. Actually found ,more deeper ice out futher. The cold weather/lack of wind is setting the lake up nicely and felt a lot more comfortable than last weekend. Still would exercise caution and be aware of forming cracks and ridges, and go slow if not on foot. Ironically, with nearly no one around me on "first ice"......fishing kind of sucked smile

What does that mean, you caught 12 but couldn't keep any? smile

I wish......it was only caught two.......which of course had to throw back. Spent most of my time flag fishing, but only two of those critters as well. To make matters worse, even had a hard time getting the 4 inch perch to bite and not one over 7 inches. Might not have been the fish though, could be the fisherman wink

What are the odds that we will have enough ice out of Hunters on new years day to drive a very small SUV (rav4)? How much ice do they have on the road now with the recent temps dropping? I see some negative temps in the coming days, so that won't hurt. If there isn't enough, does anyone charge a few bucks to bring you out on an atv and pick you up at the end of the day?

The season seems to be getting shorter every year up there. Im sure glad I got rid of my skid house several years ago.

While I really dont know whats going on at hunters, was still pretty close, and by nature am fairly cautious, but after seeing less than 5 inches in a spot where I normally park an early season house, there is no way I will be driving my car out in a week on the east side. Sure there will be some doing it though......as usual, best thing to do is call them.

Went out of hunters today and found 8-9" out on the mud flats. Ice seems really good to me but be cautious and stay around the 10 mph speed limit. We did decent for four hours got 2 keepers and threw 6 back that was over 20" one being a nice fat 26"

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports