• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

Fished out of Cash's landing and could only make it to Betkers flat when things began to look unsafe. Had 12 inches of good ice where we set up in 21 fow.

ended up with about 20 keeper perch and only kept one eye out of five put on the ice.

We lost 6 more eyes at sunset to 7:00 that were nice fish, my partner had whimpy hooks on his small pimple that acounted for 4 of those fish and as soon as he made the move to a larger triple grip he iced a nice 24 incher.

Was a good trip but I could still se open water about 300 yards from our portie.

Busted up ice that was open last week still looked bad. Play it safe, have fun.

We lost 6 more eyes at sunset to 7:00 that were nice fish, my partner had whimpy hooks on his small pimple that acounted for 4 of those fish and as soon as he made the move to a larger triple grip he iced a nice 24 incher.

I like to use smaller pimples and other spoons for various reasons/scenarios, but if I'm walleye fishing and using minnow heads I pull off the stock treble and put on a bigger one and have had a lot better hooking success.

To hook up was easy, to keep'em on was the hard part LOL

All the tackle manufactures seemed to have moved to whimpy hooks, I would gladly pay for the good triple grip hooks stock, than have to retro fit my stuff.

But thats another thread.

How's the bite up there the past few days can u get a wheeler out to main lake structure yet hoping to get on some jumbo perch around hunters point any info would help

I've been out here since 6 pm yesterday. It's been tough. 2 eyes & 6 jumbos in the bucket. Im on top of henn island reef & used Appledorns road. Wish I would have gone over to Shaws reef but chose this spot since there were less houses on it. Shaws looks packed.

I hear ya johnson bites been tough i went outta appledorns too but started fishing this morning at 630 ish fish were finicky went through almost a tank of gas to get 6 keeper fish that i let go 5 jumbos and a walleye. I was out at shaws didnt have much luck seen about 8 eyes on my aqua vew though just didnt want my fatheads the fish were in 22-25 fow on a sandy/rocky bottom best jig for me was purple color under a bobber only caught a few perch while jigging but i did mark a lot of fish in 38 fow out of appledorns

HoleHopper and Johnson..awesome reports. Did you really mean 38' ??

Headed up there in the AM. Looks like we got some weather coming.

I hear ya johnson bites been tough i went outta appledorns too but started fishing this morning at 630 ish fish were finicky went through almost a tank of gas to get 6 keeper fish that i let go 5 jumbos and a walleye. I was out at shaws didnt have much luck seen about 8 eyes on my aqua vew though just didnt want my fatheads the fish were in 22-25 fow on a sandy/rocky bottom best jig for me was purple color under a bobber only caught a few perch while jigging but i did mark a lot of fish in 38 fow out of appledorns

I ran out of breath just trying to read this. Does anyone actually use punctuation anymore?

Sitting in our shack at the red door right now. Got a 23.5" at 130 am. Today we got a 14" and 16" eyes along with four 10" doinkers. Also kept 6 perch. All walleyes were caught on hooks or spoons with a lot of Orange in them. The 3 bigger eyes on shiners. The 10" on spoons or fatheads.

Quote:

I ran out of breath just trying to read this. Does anyone actually use punctuation anymore?

I had no problem reading it and truly appreciate the reports Regardless of the puncuation smile

Just venting. I see it as a lack of manners or common courtesy.

I've been seeing more and more of this lately and will will refuse to return any favors if presented this way. Probably should be another thread.

No offense hole popper. You aren't the only one.

Really...lack of manners or courtesy! I'd prefer the lack of punctuation as aposed to someone being rude and pointing it out ( don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all) . Not to mention appears you have far too much time on your hands if your going to point out punctuation on a fishing thread! Not everybody is as fluent with it as others (not at all saying that's the case here) but if it was in any case no reason to point it out.

Enjoy the fishing boys!

Went out on the northwest end tonight and did OK. My dad and I got four keepers, two big ones, and nine little bitty walleyes. Didn't get a perch. The keepers weren't anything special, but we did get one 17'' fish. From what I've heard, the bite's been hit or miss; guys either got good numbers of fish or very few at all.

Caught a few jumbos out of the east side this afternoon. Set up @3pm. I only fished one spot cause it was WAY too windy to reset a hub-portable w/ a 7 yr old in tow. 26 fow over hard bottom. Perch shut down about 5. Had 3 fish(most likely walleyes) come thru between 5:15 and 5:45, but just sniffing. Had one set line (large rainbow on plain 1/4 jig), jigged a Rattlin Flyer w/ head, and the boy half jigged/half watched a smallish rainbow on a red Slick jig. The boy managed to get our only eye(23")about 6. No bites after and left at 6:45.

The jumbos were all burping up 1.5" minnows. Not sure exactly what they were. They were more slender than a typical crappie minnow, and their eyes were dark and were fixed more toward the top of their head. Anyway, if I were headed out there tomorrow, there'd be some small crappie minnows in my pail.

They might be posting from a cell phone where puncuating is time consuming. I was out with a buddy on the north east side yesterday and took home 16 good size perch and two walleye (15 and 17") also let go a 22,26, and 27.5" fish. Were catching them on macho minnows with euro larva early and then had to switch up through out the day using smaller jigs and plain hooks with minnows. I caught the 15" on a blue/pink spoon tipped with euro larva. Unfortunately the wind pushed us all day and left right at sun down.

My dad and I wen't out of Appledorns last night from 3:00 to 6:30. One 15 inch wallye in 20 fow on rocks.

Heard the bite slowed down this week with the cold weather, but knew a front was moving in so i snuck out of the house early and headed up. Been milking this shallow spot for close to 3 weeks now and was tempted to move, but wether it was the overcast skies, drop in barometric pressure, my noisy neighbor now gone, or that nearly everyone has headed out deeper.....am glad I did not because the fish were still there and biting. At first light, jigged for some eyballs and with nothing happening, downsized for some perch.

full-27018-16673-2012_01_22_08_12_33_171

Was getting bored and frustrated with sorting through a lot of smaller ones; the bigger ones were not aggressive enough for whole minnows and had a lot of dink competition, so went outside and drilled a few holes for tip ups. A couple flags went off but the pike were skitish today and would drop at the first sign of resistance. Back inside while warming up a decent sized one did smash a 1/16th frostie with a minnow head on it....go figure. It was only 30 ish but still a blast on 3 lb. test. Surprisingly it was the only one landed all day.

full-27018-16674-2012_01_22_09_41_46_989

Had the luck of a 3 year old with a snoopy pole today because soon after a pretty sweet eye hit the same set up.

full-27018-16680-2012_01_22_09_07_50_322

Yep, another slobasaurus off a tiny jig and head. Don't care enough to take weight or measurements but the rod is 27 inches without the spring. Sadly, finally lost my lucky jig, and it is now a lip ring in what I am sure was a pretty goodsized pike.

full-27018-16685-2012_01_22_09_08_23_423

Ended up the day catching dinner. If you are in ever in need of another bait pail, this Clam thermo is pretty cool, pardon the pun. Am still using bait from last week. Have been leaving it in the porch and changing the water every other day or so and only have lost a few minnows.

full-27018-16691-2012_01_22_15_20_20_628

Was up there for a few hours to day. It was a pretty aggressive bite, but tons of small fish today. We still ended up with a good amount of perch from 10-12 inches and a bonus 22/23 inch walleye. Most fish were caught on euro larva (including the walleye), although a few perch were caught on waxies and minnows. We caught fish anywhere from 24-29 FOW, best depth was around 26 ft.

This last weekend was probably one of the best trips I've had on the pond. My fiance' and I caught 12 walleyes. 2-10", 15", 18", 19 1/2", 4-23", 25 1/2", 26", 26 1/2. Mostly during the later evening and at night. A couple came in the morning, including the 26"er. All but one were caught on Rattle Wheels with smaller jigs. Two colors seemed to be the best. Green and Pink. I don't like pink, but I catch more fish on that awful color... :>

As you can see, Tasha outfished me this weekend. She did an awesome job landing these fish and as you all know, it is no small feat to successfully land the big pigs! She has definitely graduated!

23inch.jpg

18inch.jpg

195inch.jpg

23incher.jpg

255inch.jpg

Another23inch.jpg

265inch.jpg

26inch.jpg

Good luck fishing and stay safe out there!

Looks like she just knocked you off your throne! Now that your getting married it is just best to let her outfish you, life will be better wink Nice report and pics. Heard from a few others as well that it was a big pig weekend out there!

Great reports with photos, guys. I've gotta figure out to upload pics...

Anyways, we went out again last night and caught seven. Kept three of them, with the biggest being about 24'', give or take. We didn't see many fish at all, but we caught the majority of those that swam under the house. All fish came on various jigging spoons (Pimples, Kastmaster, Jigging Rap, Nilsmaster, etc.) Color didn't seem to matter all that much.

4 of us went out from fri till sun morning and did pretty good. Caught 31 fish 8 were jumbos and rest were nice walleyes including a 27" and about 6 20-23"ers ended up with 14 keepers. Not many caught during day most were from 6 to 10pm.. Fished rocks/gravel 30FT no one within a mile of us good times.

Hmmm... Ya, that one was a little weird. Came out of the hole barkin'!!

walleye-, sounds like you got on a good spot too. I was out on gravel/rocks as well. 26 to 30'.

I got another report from a buddy. He went out Sunday afternoon, and yesterday afternoon his tally was 26 walleyes caught, including 4 keepers, and biggest caught was 26 3/4". He's still out there and haven't gotten the latest...

Bringing my Pops up from Texas friday to go fishing on Milla Lacs, can anyone give me a good hint on where to fish up by Garrison or south east Cove or Wahkon? I havent really fished Mille Lacs much at all, just a few cpl hour trips here and there catching a few jumbos...Wanting to drive out with my portable so ice conditions are important. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports