• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

Rick

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Kiko

Schu,

When you caught the jumbos were you just off the flat or way off the flat? Minnow head or larve? Going up tonight to fish the Mud. Hoping for good things.

dilleyo

Me and a couple of buddies went up on Monday out of Agate Bay to a different buddies shack. Caught a couple of dink perch and a couple of dink eyes. Then about 11pm on Monday night we caught about a 5lb eelpout and about 8am on Tuesday morning we caught a fat 26in walleye. We missed a couple on the way up around the same time as the 26incher hit, so we didn't get a chance to see them, but they were pretty nice fish. The 26 was caught on a crappie minnow on a jig that my buddy was fishing for perch with. Driving off the ice on Tuesday was a little scary as there was a ton of water on the roads with no snow and it looked like we were driving on open water. Kinda an eerie feeling,.

schu

Kiko-

I was looking for walleyes so I was using a buckshot jig with a minnow head and I was in about 28 fow. I marked a lot of fish on the vexilar but I am sure that they were smaller perch and walleyes. The bigger marks that did come in seemed to chase and bite. I was fishing right on the edge of the flat- had 24 feet about 10ft. behind me and 30ft. right out the door of my otter.

Good luck

maros91

My buddy and I just got back from the pond. We did pretty good. 17 perch, all 10"-12.5" from about 10am to 12:30pm. After that the bite slowed considerably. Genz bug and larva was the trick for me. Pound the bottom to stir things up then shake your jig and fish on. Yummy perchies for dinner tonight.

Insp Gadget

Biff,

Nice to see your avatar again! Care to share the general conditions you were in? depth and type of area, not specific flat or bar. I'm heading up Saturday am with my porty and 4x4 and going to explore but watching the reports to narrow the choices.

Good report, thanks!

late night

I think the other picture was better.

Insp Gadget

I'm not sure about you but I wouldn't say no to either!!

(sorry honey, but she's on my list of 5)

maros91

Biff,

Care to share the general conditions you were in? depth and type of area, not specific flat or bar.

30'-32'. Sand to silt bottom. Remember to pound the jig and shake it to cause comotion. While walking on the ice you would break through the first inch and then hit all the water the rain left. Some places the water was ankle high making it hard to travel from hole to hole. Stay on the move! I would catch 2 keepers out of a hole then the dinks would move in. When they move in it is time to move!

Insp Gadget

Thanks Biff, will give a good try!

cjw

was up on thur and there was alot of spots where there was over 1 foot of water.it limited where you could go by the time i left most of it was frooze over.shouldnt have any problem going any place on the lake(hardly any snow left)

Drail1313

Just got back and caught only a couple little perch...I want to head out to the flats but the roads from Hunter's Point was closed. Headed to 3 mile area. Did catch on nice 15.5" Eye on Buckshot and small minnow before I packed it up. (Short trip), still better than being at work. was very sunny, but the clouds are coming, bite should pick-up.

lots of water spots... broke top layer and spun tires a couple times, but plenty of hard areas to set up the port.

Good luck and Stay Safe.

BSG

Fished Sunday 2/15 on the mud with a buddy. Ended up with 11 keeper perch and kept 7 tulibees for smoking. Released about 5 others. 90% of the fish came on rattlin' flyers. 2 small eyes and no pout. Everything was pretty slow till about 5pm, then the perch picked up for about 30 min. All in all, not a bad day, but it definately had some slow times.

Ice conditions were fine, everything was frozen up solid, we used wheelers and it was bumpy but no issues.

I've got an end of the day pic of all the fish, but I don't wanna break any rules.

Sonicrunch

Do any of you guys use reel weeds on Mille Lacs?

late night

Got some good jumbos Sunday. Fished 10:30 am-6 pm. Had two keepers in the bucket within the first thirty minutes then is slowed down till early afternoon. Ended up with 28 keepers for two of us with one wallleye lost at the hole along with a few jumbos.

27 feet of water, orange forage minnow tipped with larva pounding the bottom. Set-lines were useless and a camera is a big bonus.

We stayed in the house all day and never moved. Punching lots of holes probably would fill your bucket faster.

MinnetonkaMan

What resort were you out off. Any info would be appreciated.

BigWhopper

Two of us fished from noon Friday to 2PM on Sunday. We were on several different mud flats on the NW corner - mostly smaller flats to the north. We punched a lot of holes. We slept in a 8x8 portable on the top edge of a different flat each night. Totals= 4 walleye, 1 jumbo perch, and 5 eelpout. Friday night at 9PM caught a 26.5" wally on a tip up with shiner and one of the "hard to find" gold backed angel eyes. The other 3 wally's were Saturday 7:30AM-9:00AM - all 3 under 14". We used camera's and vexilars. Always a great trip for us - but unproductive for fish. We could not find perch during the day - we would swiss cheese the top edge to deep on flats and use the camera to try and spot them - but we must still be missing the knack. One pout must have been at least 6 lbs. The rest were all little snakes except maybe one 2.5 lber. I bought a new double blade strikemaster auger bottom for my old unit (always had the single chipper blade) and OMG! - was that incredible - hardly any work at all to punch holes.

DRH1175

I was out on Sunday. Fished 32 fow in close to hunters. Half way between the resort and 3 mile. Fished by myself and went home with 8 nice jumbos and a couple 15" eyes.

smmurphy

I'm heading up tomorrow and staying at the red door resort. What's the bite like on the north end?

Also fishing in the DU tournament on Sat in Garrison Bay, so any info there would be appreciated too.

Bigslugger

Hows the bite on the South End?

Chef

Do any of you guys use reel weeds on Mille Lacs?

I've tried them in the past and wouldn't bother again.

TWISTERSOCK

is the Ice still safe to drive a wheel house out?

Paul Waldowski

Yes it is. You can go just about anywhere.

HunterWinfield

Perch bite slowed some but the crappies in Isle Bay are picking up.

DRH1175

perch bite was tough for me yesterday. Ended up with 6 jumbos. But the Tulibee bite was going. Ended up with 5 really nice tulibee.

skunked_again

Just got back from the Perch extravaganza. Winning fish was 1.39 lbs. kinda small. Perch/walleye fishing was sorta slow, but the tulibees were awesome. How'd everyone else do?

poolplayin

was out from myr mar about 4.25 miles on a tiny flat. Fish were on fire! Caught 29 jumbos all over a pound, couple hit 1.5. also caught alot of walleyes keeping our 8 in the slot. few bigger, lots smaller. 27 ft water using smallest glow red buckshot, minnow head. saw some tulibees on the camera, looked like they were bouncing off the bottom, really wierd. Anyways, good luck, probably be up again monday or tuesday. suppose to be really nice.

skunked_again

Shoulda entered the perch contest. You would have won $500 plus an auger. Thanks for the report.

stretch

not saying i don't believe you but you should post some pictures of your catch.

Scupper

Seems old poolplayer does do well. I seen this post on the Annandale forum from 2/7/09. I also wish he would post some photo's... grin

Quote:
Poster: poolplayin

Subject: Re: Any reports on Clearwater?

went out last night, out from access by bjs. was accross by the island, nailed about 15-16 walleyes, most small but did keep 4 between 15-19. did catch a few crappies too, all about 10-12 inches, kept 13 of those. I was in 32 ft good luck

Stan7600

We found the perch bite slow on Sat. The one in our party with a camera did better by a huge margin. Lots of lookers. Stan C.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Fished a few spots on the Horseshoe  chain this afternoon pretty slow yet surface  water temps were around 35 degrees.  Water levels are up and plenty of bottom content floating in some of the channels and bays. Felt great to get back on some open water and use the long Rods again. 👍Plenty of boats out there running around. 
    • IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Really cant wait for some of these Regulations to be put into Place on Some  lakes. Way overdue IMO. Please when these meetings are formed lets all try and make it to some and give some honest quality input. Even if you are against some of the New regulation limit changes  being talked about. We all need to come together and figure out someway to protect our Trophy Panfish. So all of us and future generations can enjoy the future! 

• Mark Jurgensen
      By Mark Jurgensen
      Need to get out for a while.  Any fishing being done on Cedar Lake in New Prague.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      Perhaps we should call this the COVID - 19 fishing report.  As you can imagine, some really cool annual traditions with Mother Nature are happening right now around Lake of the Woods.
      With the current times, other than some local anglers fishing in their own backyard where they have private access, things are pretty quiet.  Let's get through this chapter and look ahead as the walleyes are definitely waiting, willing and able!
      As many of you have read, in response to the COVID - 19 situation, the City of Baudette has closed it's two public access points on the Rainy River, Koochiching County has closed their four access points to the Rainy River and Lake of the Woods County has also temporarily closed their access points.  These closures are temporary in nature and are being reviewed often.  Kooch County will review again April 14th which is the last day of the walleye season on LOW and the Rainy River. 
      We want to express our sincere appreciation and thanks for all who come up to the Lake of the Woods area throughout the year.  Our community and small businesses are very tourism focused and dependent.  This is a tough time for many for a variety of reasons.  We look forward to getting this chapter behind us and creating wonderful memories with you again in the near future.  Be safe and thank you.
      On the south end...  Ice conditions this March have held very well.  As mentioned, low amount of traffic due to the times.  Anglers out have been catching big pike as is traditional this time of year as well as walleyes and saugers.
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is starting to open with a few local anglers with private access getting on the open water.  As you can imagine, some big walleyes in the river.  The spring walleye season goes through April 14th and will not be available to most this year.  Looking forward to sturgeon season and the MN fishing opener May 9th!
      Up at the NW Angle...  A few locals still ice fishing.  Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch and an occasional pike or eelpout in the mix.  Looking forward to open water.  

• CaptJohnWis
      By CaptJohnWis
      I heard from a buddy that there will be no fishing allowed on the river this spring. Any truth to that? I think it is a good idea otherwise there will be people coming up in droves as usual. Stay in your house and say some prayers.

I am stuck in my house down here in Texas and hope to eventually get back up North. Canada border closed so I couldn't hit my favorite spots on Rainy Lake anyway.
    • BDR
      By BDR
      Today on West Rush, in a smaller bay. I Stepped on a unseen drain hole or enlarged old fishing hole today. 1 leg went all the way thru. Luckily other leg and i stayed on top. I was traveling where I knew it was only 4-5 feet deep. All ice I drilled was 13-16 inches but soft. Hot shower and clean undies never felt so good. lol.  Be safe everyone!
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      First pic is from April 1 2017 in the kayak. Second pic is April 21 2018 on 18 inches of ice. Same lake. Looks like 2020 will be like 2017. 

• mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
    • Decanno1
      By Decanno1
      So me and a buddy of mine are thinking about stocking a gravel pit we own with suckers. Mainly white suckers but we’ll happily go with other species!! My question is this: Do sucker eggs NEED a constant flow of water to hatch? Or will they be fine in a gravel pit or any lake/pond that doesn’t have any flow coming in or out? This will make or break our plans for the pit, thanks in advance!!!
    • mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
      I checked it on Sunday about 25 feet of ice by landing. If anyone drives by could you let me know when the landing is open. Might go here first if possible sometimes the crappies and sunfish will be in the bay there. I could use some yummy fillets. Thank You!
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• whateverisbiting
      I am not a politician or health care authority, just a lowly scientist/fisherman.   Social distancing is effective and needs to consider all routes of transmission, which includes both washing your hands / not touching your face and not breathing the air of an infected person.  Every time an infected person breathes they aerosolize the virus.  Washing your hands will not help if you are in the same room for a long time breathing the same air as someone who is infected.  In fact, viruses are fragile and do not live on surfaces very long.  The data you see that viruses are viable for days to weeks on surfaces are ideal conditions that lead to prolonged stability of the virus.  Similarly, wearing a mask is not going to help if you are touching a recently contaminated surface then touching an entry point into your body.   Something else to ponder (OK this is maybe not scientific but seems plausible)...part of how you react to this virus is likely dependent on how often you have been exposed to similar viruses, because then you would have partial immunity and symptoms would be mild.  If you are a germaphobe and are very clean, maybe you are not getting the right exposure to less virulent strains to build up cross immunity.  Of course other factors including personal health, genetics, and perhaps dose of the virus will impact your disease trajectory.   We are starting to lag in predictions for deaths in MN compared to the projected model.  From a data-driven perspective, if this holds then there is no reason to change the guidance on outdoor activities.  We seem to be doing enough already by closing down schools, restaurants, performances etc.  No need for further restrictions.   Mike
    • ozzie
      Thanks for sharing this personal story with us mrpike1973!  It takes a lot to get the nerve up to lay your emotions out there to possibly be rejected.  Here's hoping that you and your parent's can resolve the past, and move forward, with healing the wounds time has created.  Good luck and good for you to open the door to start the healing process!!
    • Mike89
      good for you mrpike1973!!!!!  and I hope the relationship gets better too!!!!
    • mrpike1973
      Morning everyone one! Prayers do work my wife was able to get ahold of unemployment today in 2014 someone attempted to use my wife's info to get benefits it was denied because it was incorrect. The person helping her said she should get her check on Friday and they took care of the issue. Here is hoping😀 We have been looking at our boat like Wile coyote waiting to eat it😜.   So I don't want to get to personal or to much info but please bear with me.  In 11th grade I was thrown out of the house I was homeless during this time somehow managed to graduate and go to post secondary school. It was very rough but made me who i am today. Well as you can imagine I have not talked much to my folks since. After reading many of the posts on here about families I got to thinking they are still alive and why not reach out to chat they can only say no. I called them this weekend and we got together. I felt like I was on my first date and the Dad was cleaning the shotgun😬 It took awhile but we started chatting some I have kept in contact with my Mom some but not like a son should. Lets just say some healing went on and yes I know you should not be visiting people but this could not wait longer. I don't know what the future holds but let's just say these posts really helped me assess what life is about.    My Mom asked me if we can go fishing this summer☺️ You know my answer
    • smurfy
      I've often thought about trying the leech catching thing...…...but not if I have to do it before its light out!!!!!!🥴   great info by the way. I've been trying really hard to fish plastics most of the time, but I do like having some meat along just in case. with the amount of bait I use.....i'll support the fellers that sell and get it!!!!!!
    • gimruis
      Believe the health experts, not the politicians.
    • gimruis
      The CDC website indicates that the primary mode of transmission is from coughing or sneezing and respiratory droplets go from one person to another within 6 feet.  It says that surface-hand-face transmission is not thought to be the main mode of spreading.   https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html
    • IceHawk
      I honestly don't know what to believe any more. There are so many different views opinions charts out there on this it will drive you crazy. Pretty much gave up watching TV because getting a little sick of everything on there is pretty much depressing. Pretty much went back to concentrating on the things that are important and things I can control my family right now. We have been setting up zoom meetings with all of my brothers sisters parent etc. Seeing there faces and hearing there all healthy is my concern. My wife daughters and me have all been going for walks with out dogs working on yard projects etc trying to stay healthy mentally and physically! We just came to realize that watching or listening to all the doom and gloom is no good for everyone. Concentrate on what we have in front of us each other and the time we have with each other.  Yes we keep up to the latest but limit our involvement. Life is short the way it is positivity an a smile will fulfill your life more than worrying and trying to figure this out!
    • Austin12345
      Nice thanks you guys
    • BobT
      And one of our greatest sources of vitamin D is sunlight so let's go fishing!😃

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.