• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

ok that a thought

you staying for the week end ?//

i was thinkin bout going over in the morning and fishing maybe come tomo night and get the sled

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stick in Mud

• rodmaker

• pushbutton

• jay83196

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bite was good again this morning. Including another keeper. Set lines and jigging about 50/50 on fish. If the fish was there it was eating. 🎣🎣🎣 Tight Lines everyone!

I was on perfect rocky structure last Weds. in 19-27'. Had it all to myself. Only 1 Ice Castle within 200 yards. Fishing was decent. Caught 8 respectable walleyes, all on Slab Raps. All while hole-hop

Broke the 40 mark! 

Posted Images

Yup, I'll be up there the whole weekend, I've got a cabin on 40 acres just 3 miles west of the lake. We'll be out on Mille Lacs on Saturday and Sunday, probably in the afternoon till after sunset, maybe going to some of the smaller lakes in the morning for panfish/crappies. I'm so sick of the bitter cold weather, I need to get out and enjoy some warmer temps.

do you know if they are catching any fish where saying to leave the wheel house

do you have yahoo messenger if you maybe we could yack there

i'm gregori52 on there

little chief

norsky,

i will be out this weekend goin up sat. morning and stayin till sunday evening. if your interested in caravaning? we have 2 wheelers and 2 portables. could you make it out there on a wheeler?

I think you probably could now that the top has melted and refroze, kind of depends on how much weight you're pulling. I'd like to hit the area I was at last weekend with some more people, I'm right on a point on one of the flats and it drops down into a trough and comes back up with other little humps all around. I'd like to bring my fourwheeler also, but I only have a single place trailer. Caravaning would be great, I think it's safer traveling in groups out there.

Whatever time works for whoever would like to meet. Last weekend we went out around noon, fishing was good from when we set up until just after sunset. Maybe 10 am or so? Doesn't really matter to me.

im new to this site,have fished just about every lake west and some in the south metro.heading up to the big pond this sat.from what im hearing sounds like the mud is picking up,1 of my favorite spots is blue jug 2nd wouldbe agate bay.it willbe easy to pick me out i wear a whole vexliar suit so if you see me come over and say hi,good luck fishing cjw.

Some friends and I are going up Saturday to stay in a couple of Dickie's big houses. I hope we catch some fish. I have no idea where their houses are and I've never been on the lake. There was some good information in this thread. Thanks for that and good luck to all those going out this weekend. Any more info/advise would be appreciated.

Jon

little chief

norsky,

we are goin to be up there around 930 ish we are goin out of garrison. let me know if you are still lookin for anyone or what area maybe we can just meet out on the ice somewhere. you can e_mail me [email protected]

Went out of the north end of the lake last weekend, got on the ice around noon Saturday and stayed until Sunday morning. Caught 4 walleyes, 2 were to small to keep. One nice 18 inch and a nice FAT 26.5 inch (took a picture and put it back down the hole).

Caught all of them between 5pm - 8pm on fatheads. Plain hook w/ a glow bead and glow sinker. Random set up but we were trying everything.

Nothing over night and Sunday morning.

Heading up next weekend...any idea where to find some jumbo perch? It's a big lake, I don't need a map with an X on it but just a general idea if possible? Or ideas for bait, jigs, etc.

Went out of Appledorns on Friday. Great road system which I noticed hooks up to many other resorts as well. Fished the sand off of Doe Island Reef. I had my 3 year old along so it was pretty much, set up and hope for the best. Saw plenty of small perch on the camera, a couple nice walleyes and a big northern. Endend up only catching two perch at about 10 1/2 inchers. From about 11:00am-noon we had waves of big perch come through.... some real tanks. They were so tight to the bottom their fins were catching the sand. They weren't interested in even looking at our baits, but they were there.

Both of the keepers were taken on a Lindy Rattl'n Flyer spoon. One tipped with waxies the other a minnow head. I was told the fish were in the sand chasing shiners, but we never saw one on the camera. Good luck to those of you that go!

Went out of Hunters yesterday (fri), we just skipped around until we found some fish on the vexilar. I know we were some where south of 8 mile, but am unsure of our exact location. We were in about 22 fow. To save a few bucks we decided we would just bring a car up and forget the ice house, bad decision, even if it was warm, being on the ice really got to me after a few hours. Saw schools of small perch come through on the camera and was able to keep the bait away from the small ones until the big ones would eventually show up. The key was pounding the buck shot spoon into the mud, then dropping down a tear drop jig with some waxies. All in all we caught 4 over 10 in, the biggest one going 12 1/2" All the action occurred from noon until my fingers froze at about 5:30. A nice 18 in walleye was taken along with a similar size tullibee. Again nothing great, but I still consider myself a novice on this lake and it was fun to have the opportunity to catch some big fish.

So in closing:

1. Camera was key to keeping the small perch away.

2. The silt cloud was key to drawing fish in.

3. Get at least several hundred yards away from others.

4. With a shelter I probably would've spent more time fishing instead trying to warm my hands up!

Some good reports guys! smile

Quote:
Both of the keepers were taken on a Lindy Rattl'n Flyer spoon. One tipped with waxies

That is very killer combo for bigger fish, when the minnow body or head fails to get a bite wink.

Fished with a buddy today on the mud. Kept 7 perch, nothing smaller than 10". Lots of small perch down there. 10-15 tulibees between the two of us also. 2 small walleyes, and this kicker 25" right before we packed up.

1000693as7.jpg

BSG - nice pic! Thanks for sharin. What lures were u catchin all the tullibee on? waxies or minnow heads?? Headin up on Friday to chase'm. Prob on the flats somewhere.

ndsufootball

Nice fish BSG. I was in 27 feet of water on the mud. Had the camera down saw tons of perch. Only managed to catch a few. Had one flag go up about 645. Put the camera back down in the morning and it was like the perch turned into walleye. Seemed like just as many and all our group managed to get was an 8lb eel pout. I thought for sure it would be a better bite but it was tough. Good signs to come though.

Spent Friday and Sat. on different mud flats and only managed 2 small walleyes. Sat. night had about 12 come in on vex. between 4:30-6:30, but could only get 1 to bite. Tough bite. All the walleyes I found were on the tops of flats, 23-25 fow. Watched them on camera come in, but wouldn't hit. Tried lots of different presentations.

Thanks Guys.....Tulibees came on rattlin flyers with minnow parts (heads,tails, bodies) for the most part, a few came on whole minnows with smaller jigs. For the most part it was slow for us also.... keep moving, pounding bottom and move and pound some more.

Good weekend out on Mille Lacs, these two walleyes were caught within 30 minutes of each other. The older guy is my father in-law, biggest eye he's ever caught (28inches) Mine was around 27 inches-very fat and healthy. The jumbos were going good again, ended up keeping around 20 that were from 11-13 inches. Fun weekend with the nice weather.

I'm not sure how to get the pics on here, but the link works.

walleyepics

was up this past sat,started on blue jug didnt to to well.we ended up at 3 mile(out of nittis)started out bad but 2 hours before dark and with my camera i saw more walleyes than i have ever seen in my life.my buddy missed 3 and pulled in 1 17incher,it was crazy 3 or more at a time on my screen(not small either)was on a break line it went from 26 and gravel to 31 and silt.once it got to dark and couldnt use the camera it slowed up.

Fished the flats last weekend and caught a number of fish. On saturday ended up with a doz. jumbos, 6 walleyes, and some tulibees. We looked like a couple of Ioweagans out there with the shmorgasboard laying on the ice. We had a good time and steady but not fast action.

• Rick changed the title to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The traditional fall jig bite for walleyes is in full swing.  There are various schools located across the south shore.  Anglers catching good numbers of walleyes just outside the Lighthouse Gap where the Rainy River enters Lake of the Woods, in front of Zippel Bay and around Long Point.  Depths of 22-28', anchored up and jigging with a fathead or frozen shiners has been successful.  Anglers going through a lot of fish, sorting through lots of smalls to ultimately get nice eaters.  A lot of action.  Some anglers still drifting spinners with a minnow or crawler with success.  Some good walleye reports also from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'.
      On the Rainy River...   Intermittent runs of emerald shiners have entered the river as have some walleyes.  Mixed reports by anglers, as the big run hasn't happened yet.  Typically activity increases as water cools.  Current on the river is low.  Most anglers are jigging with frozen shiners, although trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses are still effective.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with a sturgeon rig loaded with crawlers and shiners.  Pike showing hanging on weed edges.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      The foliage is beautiful and the walleye fishing is good.  Jigging with a minnow on structure in 10 - 15' and 21 - 27' effective.  Gold, orange and glow colors great choices.  Water temps in the low 60's.  A nice mixed bag of walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, pike and smallmouth.  Muskie anglers reporting nice fish as well. 

• Snogan
      By Snogan
      Just wondering if anyone else that fishes the Root (especially below Lanesboro) has ever patterned or had any luck targeting sauger/eyes. This is my first year trying for them after hearing whispers for years and I've been surprised with my results. So far I've caught 5 sauger and 4 eyes out of the Root this year, a 17 inch Sauger and a 22 inch eye being my biggest so far. I know the river is a lot better known for trout but if anybody else has had any luck targeting other species I'd love to share reports or tactics. 
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Finally got out fishing this season, long weekend on Ottertail, Vacationland resort. Lots of wind Fri & Sun, Sat fairly calm. Marked lots of fish but slow bite with a few walleye & perch. Crallers, raps, suckers, shad. Day 16 - 19 FOW deep side of weeds and 6 - 9 FOW shallow side of weeds after dark. 61 to 62 deg water temp. Lots of bait balls at 17 - 19 and suspended at 20 - 25 ft in 40 - 150 FOW. Much needed fantastic weekend.
      Pics, multi helix 9 SI - DI - Sonar, cabin lake view, Son, Grandson. Hard to believe the monster perch hit a 3" Sucker.

• RedSunset
      By RedSunset
      Is anyone out there getting tired of all these fishing tournaments?  Lake Vermilion just came off an August with way too much Bass tournament pressure.  Several folks are really concerned about what all that pressure is doing to our fish populations.  The week of August, first week of Sept. there was a 3 day B.A.S.S. event.  There was pre fishing all week then the 3 day event.  It looked like a swarm of locusts out here on the Lake.  People who live on the lake and people who came up for vacation to fish bass could hardly find a place to fish.  B.A.S.S does not practice true catch and release or Catch Record Release.  There practice is to catch hold in live well,  parade across a stage, hold the fish in a tank, releasing them somewhere in the lake.  The mortality must be quite high.  Besides the DNR is not monitoring how the fish are handled or where they are released.  Both are regulated in the Tournament guidelines for Lake Vermilion. Also those fish are displaced from their normal habitat.  Many residents on Lake Vermilion are complaining.  There are just too many fishing tournaments. Too much pre fishing.  Too often.  Time for the DNR and MN legislators to take a new look at the statutes governing them.
    • jim curlee
      By jim curlee
      28 here this morning.
      Ice fishin will be here before you know it. LOL
      Might even get here before deer huntin. lol
      Jim
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A lot of walleyes caught this week on Lake of the Woods.  For many of the AIM tournament anglers, a lot of huge walleyes were caught this week.   Charter boats and guides doing a nice job of finding good schools of eater walleyes as well as the slots and trophies.  At times, eaters might be in a different location vs the big walleyes.  Walleyes are being caught in 14 - 36' of water.  Two main patterns, crawler harnesses and crankbaits.  Best spinner colors, hammered gold, pink, glow white, glow red or orange.  Shiny or brighter colors are good starts for crankbaits.  It is important to get cranks down to the fish.  In deeper water, downriggers, lead core line, snap weights and a 4-5 ounce bottom bouncer will all do the trick.
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes are scattered on flats and along breaks.  Trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses covering water is effective.  Anglers reporting a mixed bag of fish.  Sturgeon activity has picked up.  Target deep holes with sturgeon rigs and crawlers or frozen emerald shiners.  Smallmouth bass and pike continue to be active around current breaks, rocky areas and in bays.  There are 42 miles of navigable river from Wheeler's Point to Birchdale.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Walleye fishing continues to be very good up at the Angle.  Good numbers of fish living around Four Blocks and Little Oak Island.  Also good numbers of fish over the mud north and east of Little Oak Island.  Watch your electronics, scattered schools in many locations.  Spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both are producing.  Again, some big pike caught this week by walleye anglers.  Some muskie action this week on topwater.  Smallmouth bass on rocks in 5-15'.  

• austin123456
      By austin123456
      Will be up in the sawbill area this weekend any info on any of these lakes spots colors techniques I would appreciate any info 
    • Yancimator
      By Yancimator
      After fishing every handful in years in Minnesota for 40 years, I'm FINALLY going to bring my wife up to Vermillion and see it for the first time.   I'm chasing smallmouth and pike only (well, I'll gladly wrestle with a fooled Musky but not fishing for them).   If the largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouths, we'd probably chase some of them too.    Staying at Ludlows on the island.   Boy I'd love ANY help with where to start my searching for the smallies and pike and what to key in on that time of year.   I'll have basically two days to fish and will have my own bass boat.   I am an artificial bait only guy and catch and release.   Just looking for a bunch of tugs on the line and hopefully put my wife on some action.  Any guidance or direction??   

How deep are the smallies and what do they relate to that time of year?   Are the pike around visible weeds or submerged cabbage or something?   I'm coming in clueless.   Sure appreciate ANY help anyone's willing to provide.   Thanks!!!   Yancey from St. Louis, MO
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The deep summer "Dog Days" patterns for walleyes are in full swing producing excellent fishing.  As a rule, the big walleyes are hanging out on the deep mud in 30 - 34' of water.  Two main techniques, drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers or leeches at about 1.0 - 1.25 MPH.  Hammered gold, hammered silver and glow white are good starting colors.  The second technique is trolling crankbaits through various schools of walleyes over the deep mud.  Switch colors often but some starters, pink uv firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger, and gold.  Some walleyes are still being caught shallow based on forage opportunities.  Different schools taking advantage of current conditions in different areas.  Watch electronics and go fishing!
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes scattered on flats and in deeper holes.  Trolling crankbaits and covering water effective.  Sturgeon living in deep holes throughout river.  Smallmouth bass and pike active around current breaks, rocky areas and weed edges. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle services available and fishing for multi species has been excellent.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Good walleye fishing continues north of Garden Island, around Little Oak Island and areas north and east of Little Oak with deeper mud.  Spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both producing good numbers of walleyes.  Pike and muskies in deep bays and rocky points.  Smallmouth bass in 4 - 14' in rocky areas reacting well to crankbaits.  

• lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Hey guys! Some buddy's and I usually make the trip up to the Sioux Narrows of Lake of the Woods in June. This year with the border being closed, we went up to Lake Vermilion instead. It was our first time being on the lake. We caught quality fish of every species. Video linked below! 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Dash 1
      For me it’s been slow. Last Wednesday got 2 small northern and a nice bass for 5 hours fishing. Was using shiners mainly. Very little boat traffic and access has been mostly empty as well when I drive by.
    • bowkill78
      This is the quietest forum on the planet.  I'm going back to Clearwater for one last trip.  How has the fall fishing been?
    • muskie-mike
      Beats my banana sized walleyes on leadcore...  
    • ozzie
      Hit up the lake Friday afternoon running around we did not get anything but one 22" eye pulling a lindy with a worm.  We then pulled out of the lake and Saturday went to Winnie.  Stayed dry up there but the fishing success eluded our boats.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The traditional fall jig bite for walleyes is in full swing.  There are various schools located across the south shore.  Anglers catching good numbers of walleyes just outside the Lighthouse Gap where the Rainy River enters Lake of the Woods, in front of Zippel Bay and around Long Point.  Depths of 22-28', anchored up and jigging with a fathead or frozen shiners has been successful.  Anglers going through a lot of fish, sorting through lots of smalls to ultimately get nice eaters.  A lot of action.  Some anglers still drifting spinners with a minnow or crawler with success.  Some good walleye reports also from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'. On the Rainy River...   Intermittent runs of emerald shiners have entered the river as have some walleyes.  Mixed reports by anglers, as the big run hasn't happened yet.  Typically activity increases as water cools.  Current on the river is low.  Most anglers are jigging with frozen shiners, although trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses are still effective.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with a sturgeon rig loaded with crawlers and shiners.  Pike showing hanging on weed edges. Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.   The foliage is beautiful and the walleye fishing is good.  Jigging with a minnow on structure in 10 - 15' and 21 - 27' effective.  Gold, orange and glow colors great choices.  Water temps in the low 60's.  A nice mixed bag of walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, pike and smallmouth.  Muskie anglers reporting nice fish as well. 
    • Muskyhunter73
      I forgot to add all our fish were on a lindy rig with a medium sized rainbow
    • Wishin4Walleyes
      Thanks for the posts all. I've been monitoring this forum for a bit and it had gotten quiet so made me worried the fall bite was off to a slow start.   Glad to hear jig and minnow bite is going as that's by far the most fun way to get em!
    • Rick
      Minnesota joins other states in sampling deer near known PFAS contamination sites Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      A weekly list of news briefs about fish, wildlife, and habitat management. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has confirmed reports of zebra mussels in Pleasant Lake, near Annandale in Wright County. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.