• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
cRaPpiEMaN8265

Long Lake (New Brighton)

cRaPpiEMaN8265

Heading out there with the MVHS Ice Fishing club tomorrow. I have never fished the lake and am looking for a starting point (dont need any coordinates or anything silly like that) for any type of fish, ie. pike, pannies, eyes... Also is there any hazardous spots for driving on this lake or even better a spot within easy walking distance?

Thank You!

Ryan

deadeye

There is a point on the west side of the lake about half way up. It has a sharp break and can produce eyes and crappies. I would stay away from the far north end of the lake, past the channel, as rice creek flows through there. It always seems to have sketchy ice up there. I personally havent gone out there in the past couple years and wont again, but it can be a good fishing lake.

cRaPpiEMaN8265

Thanks deadeye, Looks like there is also a weedbed in the bay just around the corner of that point to the north.. We may try that for gills and pike. I may have to try the break you speak of for eyes.. Why wont you go out there again?

Ryan

KMR85

there is an inlet for the creek on the southeast side of the lake near the pier. I would use caution if you fish near that area. the creek exits on the NW side of the lake. I heard of a break in at the landing a couple weeks ago, it was in another thread in metro forum, so watch it if you park in the landing. I have no idea if the ice is thick enough to drive anywhere out there, as i think the creek runs through the entire lake. I can't help you out with the fish as I have never fished the lake. It was going to be the first lake I fished in the winter, but I stayed away. Heard there were tons of small crappies to be caught out there too. Never heard of any slabs though. If anyone knows what the ice can be like on this lake, why don't you chime in so these guys don't have to drag portables around the entire lake if they don't have to. Good luck and let me know how it goes...I think I will be on Turtle tomorrow.

honda4life

yeah that break is a great crappie spor i have fished it dozens of times and always had luck. i wouldnt eat anything out of it I dont think anymore but maybe its fine.

deadeye

I wont go out there again because its the bremuda triange of minnesota for me. Too many bad things have happened to me there.

I cut the end of my finger off with my ice auger one time, and ended up sitting out there bleeding for two hours extra because my ride didnt show up when they were supposed too (back when I was in high school and didnt have a car so I was getting a ride too and from the lake from my parents).

The last time ice fishing, the truck I had was 2wd and I ended up getting stuck every 50 yards and had to shovel my way to the landing. My fault but it still stunk. I will never have a 2wd truck again.

I had my boat motor blow up at the north end of the lake, as far away from the landing as possible. So I had to row back all the way. Its called long lake for a reason.

One time I was fishing the dock (because my boat motor had blown up), I had someone try to break into my truck. I got a little (by a little I mean a lot) mad and went after them after calling the 5-0. When the cops came they tried to make me into the bad guy because I was going after the guy to kick his @$$ for messing with my truck. Yet another reason I dont like the smokies.

The last time I was there the axle for the boat trailer broke while pulling the boat in. I noticed when I backed it in that the tires were floating. When I pulled it back out the trailer snapped in two. I luckily had a spare trailer at home, but it was still a expensive mess.

After all that, I decided that I wasn't going back there no matter how the fishing was. I cant even get off at that exit because I figure my car will throw a rod through the block or something.

deadeye

Oh by the way, that break was pretty good for pike too. I got lots of smaller (2-3lbs) there with a shinner under a bobber. If I remember right there is a little creek that comes in just around the corner from that point, Im pretty sure its about where that weedbed is your talking about. U may want to give that a shot for the pike too. I also remember there being a small hump or hole right off of that point thats not on the map. You probably will have to pop a few holes to find it, but I did snag lots of eyes and crappies there.

cRaPpiEMaN8265

Thank you very much, Sounds like a bad experience all around and I can see why you wont go back smirk Hopefully I wont have that curse.. I have heard that the west side is prevalent to getting rough fish making the ice thin is there any truth to this? I really don't want to put the car in the lake..

Thanks!

Ryan

crappie todd

Long is my fishing fix get away. Meaning its a place to go to tighten the 2 lb test and reel in a few 5 and 7 inch crappies. Thats about the size you will get. Serious fishing for size is not a well time spent on long.But to get out of the house for while; its place to go.

The beach area is popular. Park at the park pavilion and walk down to the beach in about 20 some feet of water. Its been a few years but I did catch a few quality gills there. But that was two seasons ago. The odds favor you NOT getting gills.

I have fished the lake from one end to the other. The crappies can be found. But it won't matter much where on the lake. they were all born on the same day two years ago. They are all identical in length. when they hit 7 inches they diet themselves back to 6 and 5/8-s then feed to 7 inches.

In other words..... the lake is packed with 7 inch and less crappies.

actually you spend enough time and you will score on some 8 inch fish.

I have driven the lake from the access to the beach area. Not this year. This October when were on the lake one calm saturday morning, the carp were so thick on the surface at the south access end that it made wonder what they do during the ice season. Carp can stay close to under side of the ice creating thin spots. I am not sure I would trust drivng on anymore. Had I not seen the amount of carp, id never know it...... so Id probaly be driving it. But..... not this year. Not yet anyway.

deadeye

Ya it sounds like the carp have become a real problem there. I always thought that they stayed by the first point on the west side or up in the current and open areas up on the north side. I always drove out there but maybe its not a good idea anymore. I guess I would play it by ear and see where they are driving out there. There was always a few guys that had shacks in the NW corner and plowed out to it so maybe see what they got going for a road.

cRaPpiEMaN8265

Went out there today after school... Tried out from the landing in 15FOW for about 1/2 hr without even marking a fish. The i went to the NW corner out from the point by 2 other permanent shack and 1 guy in a porty.. set up in 20FOW and again didn't mark anything.. Talked to one guy that has been fishing it all year and he said there was a good crappie bite before this massive cold front but mostly small fish.. I left after about an hour and tried to hit Turtle but the road was nonexistent and I was afraid of getting stuck with my car so i just went home..

I would also note I was surprised to see 5 permanent shacks out there and 3 portys on such a cold day.. Also would like to warn there is a aerator in the NW bay of the lake.. Looked like a good pike spot on the map but so much for that idear..

Ryan

long caster

Are you talking about an aerator on Long Lake? if so, that is a spring on the NW side of the south bay not an aerator. i have posted it before, it is a very dangerous spot in the winter.

cRaPpiEMaN8265

No on the NW corner of the lake not on the south side... back in the bay around the second point on the west side it is marked with thin ice signs and looks to be an aerator.. Maybe your right but it is not where you described.

Ryan

long caster

I am not familiar with a aerator on long lake and have been fishing it for over 25 yrs, not sure it would need it on the north side with rice creek flowing through. Will have to check it out as my friends mom still lives on the lake not to far from there. Whatever the case, the NW corner of the south side of the lake does have a spring and a few people have gone through in years past there.

Long lake is a tough nut to crack in the winter (for consistent action besides panfish). U can catch a eye here and a pike there but nothing consistent (at least in my experience) but fun nonetheless.

JBMasterAngler

Are people driving trucks out there? I have a business meeting tomorrow (saturday) morning and want to hit this lake afterwards since it's so close.

I only want to drive out about 50 to 100 yards and then walk the rest of the way. With the history of break ins at the lot I don't want to leave my truck there.

fishersofmen

My wifes uncle died in this lake 5 years ago. I believe he stopped on his snowmobile and broke through the ice, not sure where. He had fished it for many years and was very familier with the lake. A couple of local fireman lived on the lake and ran out there and pulled him out of the water but it was to late. His wife will never be the same again. Never can be to careful, it sounds like there are some dangerous spots out there.

JBMasterAngler

Didn't bother going out...30 MPH winds really have a tendency to make you lose interest in fishing. frown

Map Guy

Use caution at this lake for two reasons:

As metioned, the north end of the lake usually has very thin ice due to a spring and rice creek which has an inlet and outlet at the north end. Both of these things created enough current to keep the ice thin.

Second word of caution would be eating fish from this lake. Before Rice Creek flows through the lake is flows through the the old Army ammunition plant in Mounds View. This area is highly polluted including the ground water which in turn is picked up by rice creek and dumped into the lake.

JBMasterAngler

The army still owns that plant I assume? Has anything been going on there since vietnam? Everytime I drive by the place it looks closer and closer to collapsing. I wonder if the state could buy it and restore it to it's original habitat...a county park perhaps?

skolfoppa

I second what Map Guy posted. This lake is sketchy. The ammunition plant is a Superfund site. It is one of the most polluted pieces of land in the US. LL is the first lake downstream from the plant.