• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 - Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports (URL)

Rick

Up on red now and we cant find any eyes!! We leave tomorrow an was seeing if anyone can help us out with some action, feel free to pm me THANKS!

• 9 months later...

First run up to red this year is now in the bag. Got up Sunday night and was greeted with 35ish degree temps with rain and heavy winds in the morning. Fishing was slow Monday, maybe 10 fish the first day between the 4 of us. Fishing 6-8 fow. Tuesday morning came and wow quite the difference a day makes. Three to four inches of snow and blowing probably close to 40 with a high temp around 5. Not surprisingly fishing again was slow at best. Fished a little deeper maybe 9-10fow. Wednesday again not the greatest weather but started to dial them in a little better and filled a couple limits. Moved from on shore to a sleeper on the ice which was nice cause we picked up about 10 Fish over night on the rattle reels. Fish fry that night made the first couple days worth it. Thursday we packed up the wheelers and portables and ventured out to a early ice spot that has treated us well in the past and it didn’t disappoint. Close to 60 Fish between the four of us. Cold and windy weather made moving around a little harder but knowing fish were in the area made it bearable. Caught three fish on the jigging rap which always make me happy.  But most fish came on rattle spoons and dead sticks. I’d say 60-40 with dead sticks outfishing jigging.  Fished 9-11ish fow. Back to the house after dark and again caught a few over night on the rattle reels. Ice everywhere we went was 11”-14”. Minnows didn’t really matter it seemed like, got em on fats, rainbows, and shiners. Good luck everyone stay safe and hopefully ill get to go back in a few weeks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My son and I fished from 8 - 4 yesterday out of Beacon Harbor.  It was super windy so we couldn't be as mobile.  We caught 6 eyes, all under 17", in about 8' of water and another 10 after we moved out to 11'. Also a few big Perch.  Only 2 fish on dead stick and the rest jigging.  Gold or pink seemed to work the best.  Fun day!

Nels

• Thumbs Up 2

Heading up to Beacon Harbor tomorrow for a couple days. Hopeful for decent weather and hungry fishes!  

• 1 month later...

Went out of Beacon Harbor for 2 nights last week, the fishing was slow but we managed to bring home (2 of us) our limit of walleyes and had a very nice fish dinner on the lake. John and his crew were great, the house was nice and we will come back again. 

Heading up tomorrow with the fam of 5. Was wondering how the the bite is and where to head towards or out of. Thanks for any info or feel free to pm me 

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, side_laker said:

Some one has to ask. Will we need an extension for opener 

Yes I believe we will....Louisville_stacked_alum_ex.thumb.jpg.4a96071060fce1e2f3e7f1bb042d0417.jpg

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

put mine back on today. why did I take it off??

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

No extension needed on the river ill be fishing opener she' s wide open. Lakes now that will be a different story. 

IceHawk,

If I were you, I wouldn't be to vocal about fishing the river for opener.  You may have 50,000 of your best friends there with you, since it will be the only open water!!!!  Just sayin'

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Not the river I'm fishing only thing required is hip boots or waders. And if they can find me in the backwoods more power two them;)

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, toddrun said:

IceHawk,

If I were you, I wouldn't be to vocal about fishing the river for opener.  You may have 50,000 of your best friends there with you, since it will be the only open water!!!!  Just sayin'

With no Spring runoff due to the drought will the ice be off the Tamarac? With no current will any fish be in the river? Remember that due to the drought most rivers, ditches and creeks here have not flowed since last June.  The little amount of light fluffy snow that we received this winter didn't amount to any thing as far as runoff. My floating dock in the Tamarac has been sitting right on the bottom of the river since last August. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry to everyone.  I was warned for my response to IceHawk about fishing the river.  My reply was meant in jest, joking.  I was not discouraging anyone from posting fishing in the river, or even fishing in the river.  So sorry, my joking intent did not read through my post. 

34 minutes ago, toddrun said:

Sorry to everyone.  I was warned for my response to IceHawk about fishing the river.  My reply was meant in jest, joking.  I was not discouraging anyone from posting fishing in the river, or even fishing in the river.  So sorry, my joking intent did not read through my post. 

I don't see any thing out of line, kind a thought it was funny too....

56 minutes ago, toddrun said:

Well you have been on here since 2007 you should know better! Don't make jokes!! :angry:

Unless it's a couple of gals holding a ladder! :P

Edited by leech~~
  • Yayyyy 1

On 4/17/2018 at 11:48 AM, leech~~ said:

Well you have been on here since 2007 you should know better! Don't make jokes!! :angry:

Unless it's a couple of gals holding a ladder! :P

Yeah no fun allowed!:crazy::P

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1

I am going up to Grand Marais ice fishing for opener and can’t wait.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hope you at least get some rain up there this spring Kelly.  We were pretty dry until the past two months. 

20 hours ago, Borch said:

Hope you at least get some rain up there this spring Kelly.  We were pretty dry until the past two months. 

To give you a idea of what it is like here this is how my dock has sat since last August. The river is at lake level here.  Almost no Spring flow from melting snow. Just a trickle here and there. I've burnt any grass off for 200 feet around my house, farm buildings and farm equipment so there is a little protection in case a big fire gets going. The grass has been burnt off between the highway and the airport to give Waskish a little protection in case a fire gets going south of town. Westwind cleaned their channel last fall so they should be OK for boats. Total acreage of URL and LRL is 272,000 acres so it would ONLY take 177,261,312, 000 gallons of water to raise the lake level 2 feet. :crazy:

dockk.JPG

Wow!  Didn't realize it was that bad up there.  That's going take a long time to get turned around.

According to the Army Corp of Engineers weather station here in Waskish we have had a grand total of  1.29 inches of precipitation so far in 2018. :crazy: When we were burning the grass of there was still about 30% snow cover. The flames were hitting 10 feet high. :eek:

2 hours ago, halad said:

Hey Kelly can I fish of your dock opener

Sure. The good thing is if you have too many cocktails and fall off the dock you will not have to worry about drowning. :grin: People are going to have a long walk to go swimming out of the Waskish beach. Hard to believe that 3 years ago the dock floated up off the support poles so we had to put in a few longer ones. The dock was right up to the predator guard below the wood duck houses. 

Drove through last week and noticed the ditches didn't have much water compared to other years.

Kelly looks like you need an extension for your dock. :)

"Kelly looks like you need an extension for your dock."

But I don't think I have to worry about any boats hitting it.   :D It should be an interesting Opener.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:57 AM, halad said:

Hey Kelly can I fish of your dock opener

Kelly, If Hal is going to have cocktails while fishing off your dock make sure he brings his dog along so someone can drive him home.  Kinda like a sober cab, I mean Lab?

• Yayyyy 1

With the low water levels, what is it going to be like launching at the public access in the river? Will waders be needed to get out into the lake?

• The title was changed to 2020 - Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports (URL)