• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
jwmiller33

GPS

Question

jwmiller33

my step dad told me to do some research and buy a GPS for the fising trip we are going on this weekend. he wants one that you can get info on a certian lake you are going to so you can have a map of the lake with structure and depths and whatnot available to you.

i am trying to find one by looking on the bass pro shops website as well as gander mountains website.. i couldnt find anything on ganders but here are two i found on bass pro shops. would either of these two be sufficient for what im looking for? anybody have any advice on brands or models i should look for or avoid? thanks

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores...mp;cmid=PP_P0_2

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores...;cmCat=10007054

10 answers to this question

PerchJerker

Your best choices for mapping are LakeMaster and Navionics map cards, which go in the card reader slot in the gps. The lakes you'll be fishing determine which map card you should get - you want high defintion maps for the lakes you're fishing because those will be most accurate. They show depth contours in 1 foot intervals and are really, really good.

Your best choices for GPS units are the Lowrance iFinder units which use both LakeMaster and Navionics map cards (the H2Oc is the most popular), or select Garmin units which use Garmin LakeMaster Cards in microSD format.

You can check out the gps units and map cards at Pro Fishing Supply.

Sandmannd

I would with an H2O or H2Oc (if you want color and a little more clarity) for sure. Contact Perch Herker at Pro Fishing supply and he will hook you up.

One word of advice is to let him know which lake you are hitting so you can make sure it's on the chip.

Tom7227

Another piece of advice is to get the cigarette lighter cord. They eat batteries pretty quickly and you'll be playing with it a lot when you first get it. Be sure to take an hour or so before your trip to set it up and get at least passingly familar on how it works. Once you get past the inital stage of confusion you'll find it about the best tool you have when you start to fish new water.

snoozebutton

Another one to look at is the Lowrance XOG. It will take either the Lakemaster chip or Navionics chip. Not as weather resistant as the H2O but it can double for a car/road GPS.

You can check them out at Pro Fishing Supply. Dave is great to deal with, can answer any of your questions, and super fast shipping.

jwmiller33

thanks a lot for all the help!

jwmiller33

perch jerker---thanks for all the help! i think my step dad gave you a call today and bought one and had it shipped (overnight i think?). did you talk to him at all today? did he mention this forum?

PerchJerker

I don't think he called us today

collegepaul

Anyone use a Garmin Nuvi with Lakemaster Pro Maps? According to Lakemap.com, it works but there's some limitations with nothing specifically stated.

jwmiller33

I don't think he called us today

he said he called and ordered one and overnighted it. are you sure?

PerchJerker

he said he called and ordered one and overnighted it. are you sure?

Yep, he didn't call me grin