• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

duluthdangler

Does anyone have any info on the harbor yet? I've been out there a few times and all we've gotten are sturgeon. Haven't even really marked much. I can see the harbor from my office and there are a lot of houses out there at almost all times of day, so I was wondering if I'm missing something.

gunflint

A hint. If all of the sudden the forum goes quiet on a certain area it might be worth while to try that area. Just a thought.

Northlander

Mark you couldnt be any farther from the truth on the Harbor. Its very slow and a few are caught here and there with a few nice ones tossed in but mostly 13-19"ers. Many many hours can be spent out there with nothing to show. Febuary is usually the best month out there. Its nothing like 2 years ago.

gunflint

Never said that they were biting just that it was a thought. It seems to me that overall the Duluth forum has been pretty quiet. I'm guessing that the fishing is slow over most of the area.

SKIPPERS KID

I have never seen so many Big Eyes in my life this last week from the river wow. Where did they come from we do not see this many in the grand slam. What is going on this early and full of smelt in the river this early like Steve said it is Feb, when we see this not now but good fishing never the less. Well good fishing and hold on...........

Northlander

Fishing hasnt been slow in some areas. The slush problems are a big factor as have been the cold tempsand constant storm fronts moving in and out. Also the lakes that you can get around on with trucks are getting pounded hard so most folks are getting tight lipped on spots because they dont want another city popping up around them. I wont fish Fish Lake on a weekend unless Im in and out real early. Its a zoo in any area with a road to it. Much worse than usual. I have never seen so many perms all stacked in a few areas.

I now have a snowmobile that fits me a bit better so I will be fishing Island Lake and a few others more now. There is something to be saif for getting away from the crowds and finding/catching your own fish.

Tom why did I know you would be on some fish on the river? Must be slow at your icehouse lately? Maybe Drew has fished your area out. wink

gunflint

I hope that the deep freeze coming up will help you guys out with the slush. As for me, I'm starting to look forward to the boat show in Feb. Steve, maybe we will run into the guy with the magic rigs again. smirk

gritsnham

How far of of walk is it to fish in the harbor? I assume cars are not driving out there but was thinking of trying the bay or the river sometime this week.

Thanks for the info

Northlander

There was some trucks and cars out there yesterday and today. I wont do it for a while but people are. Its about a 100-200 yard walk out depending on where ya want to go. Easy pull. Drive down park point to the park and you will see where everyone puts in at.

Snowmobile is the way to go out there.

erikh45

I have fished the bay quite a bit in the last few weeks. The best way to catch a fish is through persistance. I fish out there because it is easy to get to, and there is always a chance of pulling up a big one. Two years ago it was awesome. I always try to get away from the crowds. Yesterday there were so many people in one spot that the fish must have had to dodge lures. I don't go out on the weekends, too many people. If you do go out, take a look at a lake map, and then look were people are when you get there. Find a place that looks "fishy" and is away from people, and then go there. Hopefully in Feb. it will pick up hot and heavy.

Northlander

Good advice Erik. Lots of Fishy water out there. Just not the areas you see the "Sheeples".

You can get fish from Loonsfoot to the bridge but be very careful by the channel edges. When will they stop shipping this year? When was the last time they cut open the side from the high bridge down out the cheesey side? I think I saw them bust thewhole deal up last week some time. Then I saw people crossinbg the channel on foot and wheelers Thursday I think. crazy

I would recomend going off of Park Point and getting to spots there.

Some of the better spots are the humpty humps out in front of the airport. If you know where the few rock/zebra muscle piles or weed beds are your money.

erikh45

I have talked to people who have caught fish from 5 FOW and deeper. Sometimes I get frustrated fishing all day and catching 2-3 eyes. I know it will pick up later in the year. It also seems like any lake that is accessible has a ton of traffic. It is like fishing on Red Lake. Maybe I need a snowmobile.

Northlander

A snowmobile sure opens up things for you. Lots of good lakes around here that if you have a sled you can have the lake to yourself.

SKIPPERS KID

Tom why did I know you would be on some fish on the river? Must be slow at your ice-house lately? Maybe Drew has fished your area out.

Well Steve I have been every where but on fish lake. I had a guy 4 feet out outside my house what a jerk. So I have run the sled and have not fished near any one and have had good fishing with out the people. Like at fish or should I say Dock Inland. But this is my best winter fishing ever. I hope every one stays on fish to thin the fish out and have fun with all the people and slow fishing.

fatter1

When will they stop shipping this year? When was the last time they cut open the side from the high bridge down out the cheesey side? I think I saw them bust thewhole deal up last week some time. Then I saw people crossinbg the channel on foot and wheelers Thursday I think. crazy

I would recomend going off of Park Point and getting to spots there.

Some of the better spots are the humpty humps out in front of the airport. If you know where the few rock/zebra muscle piles or weed beds are your money.

looks like Wednesday will be the end of the shipping season from the tribune

Duluth Shipping News: Wednesday may be last day of season

The days are getting colder, and the end of the shipping season is getting closer. Last year, Jan. 21 was the last day of ship activity in the Twin Ports. This year, it appears that Wednesday will be the last day of the season.

Northlander

Thanks. I also saw that in the paper.

Looks like next week I will start venturing around the bay a bit more. I hate when a ship comes through and Im on the ice. Serious pucker factor! shocked

gritsnham

Fished in the harbor area this afternoon for a couple of hours and got 2 eyes a 17 and a 28.5 in. so all in all not a bad couple hours of fishing. Marked alot of fish but not alot of other hits. The 17in has 2 white blobs on the lower back part of the gill plate on both sides...anyone have any idea what these are and if it is ok to eat fish with them??

Thanks

Jim Almquist

Quote:
The 17in has 2 white blobs on the lower back part of the gill plate on both sides...anyone have any idea what these are and if it is ok to eat fish with them??

Thanks

I know it is not a big deal as far as eating but I thought it was called a cold water flu or cold and will go away when the water warms up.

Northlander

Gritsnham congrats on the 28.5"er!!! Thats a nice eye anyplace ya go. Did ya get pics? If so if you cant post them e-mail them to me. I love big walleye pics!

ripstick

Hey grits nice fish. Hopeing this weekend getting down there. More than likely sun aft. This cold snap can only help the ice.

Jig-Head

Did everybody watch the news this morning? They did a piece on ice fishing in the bay... I'm guessing there will be about 500 tents down there this weekend because of the story. Of course they didnt show anybody catchin anything, just bobbin'.

Northlander, Im puttin' my shack out on saturday, swing by, I'd like to say hi.

Chad

outdoor ran

Chad, welcome to the forum. I seen the news piece last night too on the harbor. Its been a crazy packed place for a few years now "city on the bay". I fish down there quite a bit, I'll swing by and say hi also.

Jig-Head

Hey Thanks Outdoor Ran!

You'll be able to tell its us cause we're the ones drinking all the beer... I'm thinkin' right out from the sh-- plant by the red can...good spot?

Northlander

As good as most but it wil be a very busy area. I would go over in front of the blue tower and get away from the "sheeples". Some good humpty humps over there. grin

Jig-Head

Blue tower, blue tower...wheres the blue tower again?