• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

H20 color gps

Eye_Hammer

Question

My H20 will not acquire my current position. It starts to show

the satellites, but will not acquire my current position. I have tried to turn it on and off, but no luck. I have been outside with clear view of the sky. Anyone have any ideas.

Full batteries, full power.

15 answers to this question

Remove the batteries then put em back in and if it still wont acquire go to the menu and select initialize GPS.

Check to see what the time says. Mine started flashing 6:00 pm all of the time. If you turn it on at 6 it will find your satelites. I have tried a soft and a hard reset without any luck. You also cannot reset the time until it acquires a position. Lowrance wants way too much money to fix it since it was a month out of warranty when it happened. This is my third Lowrance gps and they have all messed up within a year of going out of warranty. They won't do anything to help me with the disposable gps systems so I am looking for another brand that will run my map chips.

If it has been powered off for a while let it sit in the open for 10 minutes or so and see if it finally locks in....This has happened to me a couple of times. Once it locks in again it works normal for some reason.

I tried all of those things and a soft reset and still can't get

it to lock in. I guess I will try a hard reset and eventually

have to send it in. Although, I have had no luck getting through

to Lowrance. This unit is only 4 yrs old.

If you are not in Advanced Mode go to Menu -> Advance Mode and select Yes. Hit Menu twice and select GPS Setup. Then select GPS Auto Search.

Or

Same Menu -> Initialize GPS -> then use the cursor to choose your approximate location and then let it locate the satellites.

On that same menu you may want to look to make sure Ext Passive Ant is not checked. If it is the internal antenna isn't being used by the GPS and if there isn't an external antenna conected it won't pick up any satellites.

Good luck.

This is the first trouble ive heard of anyone having with a H20? I always thought id buy one if i had to replace mine because of the price. I use a garmin and love it... had it about 6 years.. mine has to load maps off the computer but i see the new garmins take a chip. (mine holds a lot tho so i never have to re hook to the computer for all the maps i want (lots of MN and Ontario)

My buddy and I both got our Expeditions when they first came out, we run them year round. In the summer they run all day on the boats and in winter run alot going to the ice and while searching on the ice. Other than 1 power cord no issues at all. I love mine. We fish 120+ days a year either we got lucky and got good ones or they are just that good and a few are getting lemons. Every brand will have their lemons, the H20's are probly the most out there, so of course will have more breakdowns.

i was told by somebody that they don't like heat like your dash in the summer heat also under boat covers sitting in the heat i had a can of pop sitting in a cup holder on my dash blow up a few years ago sitting in the sun so when you are not using them keep them out of direct sun

Another thing to check, one of those easy ones to do; Make sure your not on "Use Indoors" Hit Pages 3 times ( I think, it should be the Satelite status page) and then hit Menu and make sure "Use Indoors" isn't checked, this will stop the unit from searching.

I only know this because I've done it before...

I've checked and tried all of those things. 4 satellites come up on the pages, but it still won't lock in. I guess I will try

a hard reset. Has anyone had to do a hard reset on their H20?

I will just have to save my waypoints onto my computer.

Thanks

Take it into Thorne Brothers and see what they can find out. If they cant figure it out take it back to the place you got it and see what they can do. If they cant get it working get a new one from them.

I have the exact same prob. On the satelite page it shows it is tracking satelites (mostly shows 4, sometimes more) but it will not lock on to my position. I've already tried everything including the soft and hard reset. Sorry to say neither helped. Before I did the hard reset I tranfered my waypoints to a SD card (I think that's what it's called) from an old digital camera. It was a little tricky doing the hard reset, it took a few attempts. One thing I haven't tried yet...on the Lowrance support page, there is an update to version 1.1 I looked on my H2O and saw it's only version 1.0 I'm going to try that next.

If that doesn't work then I guess I'll fork over the $149.00 "repair fee" that they want. Hopefully for that kind of money they send a new one instead of repairing mine. Then I can be more carefull with the screen, it does scratch easily.