• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon Excursion, April 18th and 19th 2009

wastewaterguru

I think what makes this such an appeal, is that not only are they the biggest fish in the state, the fishing couldn't be much simpler.

I agree Darren. Not many places you'll see an old 14' Lund with a 15hp anchored next to a Ranger 621 w/ a 225hp and the Lund has every chance to outfish the Ranger. grin

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Otter

• Matt C

• harvey lee

• hanson

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I like seeing those pictures and reports, keep them coming.

After getting up at 2:30 AM and making the drive up there, sleep deprivation starts right of the bat. Then getting up at 5:30AM, fish all day is all this guy can handle without getting some sleep.

Next year I think I'll schedule a nap at noon and try that night fishing. smile

As hanson said, we caught all our nice fish in the bay. 18' treated us well, but our largest came in 22'

Best fishing was from sundown till you couldn't stand it any longer (but again our largest fish of the trip (64.5) came in the daytime).

Man, with all these 60+ fish reporting in I can't wait till next year!!! Maybe someone will break the 70" mark?? I will be fishing at night as well!!

I will be fishing at night as well!!

LOL! So that'll be a BIG change of plans than from this last year. wink

Originally Posted By: PDOGG

Well done Hanson, well done.

Not a huge change, just a change in species! lol!

Grandpa Dewayne Highlights

Caught his biggest fish of his life and the biggest fish of the trip between all our boats.

64.5" x 25" (that ruler below the fish is 72") ~ 68lbs

64.5x25_sturg2.jpg

Fighting the monster (love the squint on his face). It took 47 minutes to land this fish.

dewayne_fight2.jpg

dewayne_64.5x25_sturg1.jpg

45"

dewayne_45_sturg2.jpg

Steve Highlights (my Dad)

Caught his biggest fish of his life.

Big story for Dad.... He fought a fish for 1hr 20min and lost it. Absolutely heartbreaking. The fish surfaced once, but we could only see it's head. By the fight alone, guess it over 70" (100lbs)

47"

steve_47_strug2.jpg

Originally Posted By: hanson

Not a huge change, just a change in species! lol!

You won't be chasing the Tequila/Tabasco fish then eh PDOGG? laugh

I know the "official" excursion is over, but a group of us (2 boats worth) are headed up this coming weekend. Anyone else going to be up there?

marine_man

So I heard a good story at Schusters this weekend about some poor guy and a prairie fire shot...

Terrorist count will surely be down enough so I can keep my sanity intact.. Yippee.. Iffin the weather is nice I'll be doing the Sturgeonfish thing this weekend.

So I heard a good story at Schusters this weekend about some poor guy and a prairie fire shot...

LOL Yeah, that was a good one!

Originally Posted By: cluelessfisherman

LOL Yeah, that was a good one!

I narrowly missed that one.

Maybe, just maybe....the terrorist count could rise by 1 boat. Don't mean to get you too nervous, Fisky, but there might be an anchor rope snagger comin'. whistle

No problemo Chuck! And enjoy! Lot's of river for me to hide out on when necessary. Anchor rope snaggers eh?? I'm doing pretty good on those this season, last week in one short afternoon trip I got 1 fat female right away followed a 1/2 an hour later by an old grey faced male. Then to finish the evening I got a double which were a father/son it turned out!

2 circle hooks and 2 baitholder types added to collection!!

Keep your eyes peeled I'll be in that same 20 Alaskan as a coupla years back or maybe a small red kickboat.

3 of us will be in my black boat without the bow trolling motor to sneak too close. Shouldn't snag ya this time... grin

..... grin

Great pics guys. I wanted to make it for the first time this year but couldn't get away. Hopefully I can get up next year.

..... grin

And that same poor guy couldn't fish all day Saturday for a south central GTG.....hmmmm Intervention may be in need. laugh

Originally Posted By: riverrat56

..... grin

And that same poor guy couldn't fish all day Saturday for a south central GTG.....hmmmm Intervention may be in need. laugh

Are you speaking of yourself Bunt or Trouble28? I was there a 7:30am and didn't see you 2 till the afternoon????????????????

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there an excursion 2010? If so, what are the dates? Plan on going this year with a group of 6.

Folke