• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
nelsoj1

Loon Lake on Gunflint Trail

nelsoj1

Going up fishing Gunflint for the first time towards the end of January. We are staying on Loon Lake. Anyone have suggestions about Loon Lake or any other nearby lakes? We would be willing to do some hiking into some good nearby lakes. Thanks.

Christopher Quast

If the laker season is open by then I would go up to Gunflint lake for some great laker action off of the point

nelsoj1

Thanks. Where is the point on Gunflint? I have a map of the lake but not familiar with the lake so do not know the names for different areas.

protrapper

Look for the crowd, can't miss it.

gunflint

Loon has some lakers, walleyes and big northerns but there's only about 4 guys up there that know where to catch them on the ice.

JBMasterAngler

I would pick gunflint over loon for lakers. You can start at the point, but the roaming nature of lakers will put them anywhere...just drill holes in 30 to 80 ft of water and see what you find.

At loon you can catch some dandy pike (30" minimum size limit, possession limit is 1). I've never ice fished it, but about 90% of our pike have come from the south fork of the lake.

You might want to check out sea gull and saganaga lakes as well.

Tullibee

If it were me I would try Loon. I fished it twice last year and caught lakers both times. Try depths ranging from 35 to 50 feet.

trekker

I like loon also. Caught a 15# laker there through the ice last year. Probably the average size is smaller than Gunflint, but still is a good lake. If you're staying at Loon Lake Lodge, ask Tom where to fish. Otherwise, get a map and, like Tullibee said, start drilling at 35 to 50 feet.

JohnR6

I have fished loon in the fall and caught a couple of really nice pike, and seen a few trout at the dock. Tom is a great guy and will help you all he can. He was my highschool econ teacher in duluth and my bestfriends neighbor. We like to give him [PoorWordUsage] every we stay there

hookset 31

We fished both Gunflint and Loon last year (first trip there) and caught fish on both. More people on Gunflint,and the fish were decent. We were the only 2 people on loon, alot of smaller fish but we did manage to lose a real nice trout -broke off right below the ice. I personelly like the quiet but both are good lakes from my limited experience.

nelsoj1

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it! Any suggestions on easy beginner set ups for pike and lakers. We are rookies.

hookset 31

we usaully start with different stuff to see if something works better than something else. Slender spoons,tube jigs,cleo,pimples,and that list goes on. Colors I start with are white, green , or black, depending on water color.

nelsoj1

I had a chance to read the "Inland Lake Trout Gear & Tactics" thread. Great info, I should be good on the set ups and strategy.

Surface Tension

I've fished Loon quite a bit starting in the 70's. As said you probably won't see many guys if any out there. The lodge was never open for business in the winter so it just wasn't fished. With a change of ownership, they opened it up in the winter. Its a deep cold lake so growth is slow and probably one of the last lakes in the state to ice up. Because of that and the snow conditions this year I'd use a lot of caution on Loon. As far as eyes and pike, there aren't many but the ones you get are nice. Lake trout average are small but there are some big fish taken once in a while. The lodge should have a few suggestions as where to try. The entrance to the bay going into Crab has a large rock slide into deep water, that is where I'd start out.

toughguy

Try moss for some eaters. Look on the south side by the drop off. Gunflint is good too. I love that area. You'll have a blast.