• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Question for Jonny or Kelly...

luckydog25

I am heading back up for my 3rd trip of the year this coming thursday. My question is, is it a bad idea to take one of my plow trucks up there to plow a spot for our wheel house? I have seen a few people with their own plow trucks up there over the past few years, but not alot of them. Of course I would not mess with the road at all, just push a spot for our house. Just wondering how you and Buddy feel about that. I understand if you guys don't like people doing it. Just looking for some feedback. Thanks!!

The trouble with it is most guys do not think about the drifts the piles/banks are going to make later. It may not look like it but Buddy, Kelly and Pat are in constant communication about where we are going to plow and where we are not going to plow to ensure future accessibility.

We had a truck show up with a plow last week and did just that, he plowed a spot and put the piles along side a larger spur road. Off course the road drifted shut at that point from the piles deep enough his straight plow AND the V plows could not move it. So there he sat with the V plows mad at him along everyone behind him. He was stuck with all the stuck wheel houses knocking on his door all night asking if he could plow them out or plow them a spot.

Another problem is guys get to plowing and take of across the lake if they find easy going. Now straight blade roads have heavy banks that flood, make slush then drift over. It always becomes a rescue mission to go get the guy stuck with the plow. Their is a a reason I am always following a v with my straight blade.

So for those that do bring a plow truck spread out the banks keeping them low and keep it to a minimum.

…and keep your plow hidden, we are always looking for parts or new trucks. laugh

Thats exactly why I asked, sounds like more of a pain in the [PoorWordUsage] than anything. I will just take the avalanche again, that thing just isn't the best in deeper snow. It has brand new tires, but I think it is just to light. My 3/4 ton seems to go alot better. Any way thanks for the advice!! We will be back on thurday-monday can't wait!!!

jonny who do we get in touch with to get a spot plowed for a wheel house and what is the going tip for this thank looking at come around in of jan thanks Ron

Thanks goose89, I have spent a ton of time up there and seen how much work these guys do. The last thing I want to do is make it harder for them.

Anyone know how deep the snow has gotten? I am heading up Friday AM with a wheel house. I've always had a pretty easy time finding a spot not far off the road, but I suspect the snow is deeper thus far this year than past years.

Not sure about the south side, I assume it is the same. You will probably need someone to push you a spot for your house.

As for Hillmans road we try to plow many loops and spur roads for the wheelhouses to pull off of but with the nasty weather it has been challenging.Just Keeping the many miles of main roads open has been mission one.

Once things settle out and the repair work from a very grueling few days is all taken care of Hillmans should have all kinds of places to put wheel houses.

We try to make spots when we can but we are also trying to take care of existing roads, stranded, stuck or brokedown anglers, wheelhouses left behind for the week, rental houses and rental customers so it does get a bit hectic.

Jonny just sent you a email. Most of my questions were answered in your last post.We would like to come up on the 13th.Do you think things will be settled out by then? Thanks!

Question for Kelly. My son has a sleeper resreved for later this month and I was wondering if we bring up a generator, are you houses wired for 110 or will we need to run a ext cord inside.

We have one house that is 110 wired the rest you need the run the cord inside.

Make sure you have something to set the generator on so it is not running on the ice.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.