• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
luckydog25

Question for Jonny or Kelly...

luckydog25

I am heading back up for my 3rd trip of the year this coming thursday. My question is, is it a bad idea to take one of my plow trucks up there to plow a spot for our wheel house? I have seen a few people with their own plow trucks up there over the past few years, but not alot of them. Of course I would not mess with the road at all, just push a spot for our house. Just wondering how you and Buddy feel about that. I understand if you guys don't like people doing it. Just looking for some feedback. Thanks!!

Random guy

The trouble with it is most guys do not think about the drifts the piles/banks are going to make later. It may not look like it but Buddy, Kelly and Pat are in constant communication about where we are going to plow and where we are not going to plow to ensure future accessibility.

We had a truck show up with a plow last week and did just that, he plowed a spot and put the piles along side a larger spur road. Off course the road drifted shut at that point from the piles deep enough his straight plow AND the V plows could not move it. So there he sat with the V plows mad at him along everyone behind him. He was stuck with all the stuck wheel houses knocking on his door all night asking if he could plow them out or plow them a spot.

Another problem is guys get to plowing and take of across the lake if they find easy going. Now straight blade roads have heavy banks that flood, make slush then drift over. It always becomes a rescue mission to go get the guy stuck with the plow. Their is a a reason I am always following a v with my straight blade.

So for those that do bring a plow truck spread out the banks keeping them low and keep it to a minimum.

…and keep your plow hidden, we are always looking for parts or new trucks. laugh

luckydog25

Thats exactly why I asked, sounds like more of a pain in the [PoorWordUsage] than anything. I will just take the avalanche again, that thing just isn't the best in deeper snow. It has brand new tires, but I think it is just to light. My 3/4 ton seems to go alot better. Any way thanks for the advice!! We will be back on thurday-monday can't wait!!!

goose89

Good question, and show of respect, luckydog25.

skinnylee

jonny who do we get in touch with to get a spot plowed for a wheel house and what is the going tip for this thank looking at come around in of jan thanks Ron

luckydog25

Thanks goose89, I have spent a ton of time up there and seen how much work these guys do. The last thing I want to do is make it harder for them.

fishfindn

Anyone know how deep the snow has gotten? I am heading up Friday AM with a wheel house. I've always had a pretty easy time finding a spot not far off the road, but I suspect the snow is deeper thus far this year than past years.

luckydog25

Not sure about the south side, I assume it is the same. You will probably need someone to push you a spot for your house.

Random guy

As for Hillmans road we try to plow many loops and spur roads for the wheelhouses to pull off of but with the nasty weather it has been challenging.Just Keeping the many miles of main roads open has been mission one.

Once things settle out and the repair work from a very grueling few days is all taken care of Hillmans should have all kinds of places to put wheel houses.

We try to make spots when we can but we are also trying to take care of existing roads, stranded, stuck or brokedown anglers, wheelhouses left behind for the week, rental houses and rental customers so it does get a bit hectic.

BottomPounder

Jonny just sent you a email. Most of my questions were answered in your last post.We would like to come up on the 13th.Do you think things will be settled out by then? Thanks!

Bob H.

Question for Kelly. My son has a sleeper resreved for later this month and I was wondering if we bring up a generator, are you houses wired for 110 or will we need to run a ext cord inside.

Random guy

We have one house that is 110 wired the rest you need the run the cord inside.

Make sure you have something to set the generator on so it is not running on the ice.