• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MN Greenheads

Underwater Camera

Question

MN Greenheads

Well My aquaview camera just went down - the screen isn't working. Now my decision is to send it back for repairs (no warranty it's 5 years old), buy a used one or buy a new one. Are the more inexpensive models of good enough quality? I was looking at the cabela's camera and another brand that was $170.00. What are all of your thoughts on cameras? I don't need color or 4 way view. Just looking for something that is durable, works and doesn't cost a fortune. Thanks.

11 answers to this question

wishing for walleyes

The cabelas 7 inch model is the same thing as a marcum 250.Great camera.

Smails

Check Craigs List. I picked up a brand new Aqua Vu Scout XL (7" screen) for $150 this summer.

Dead-C-Force

I am the new guy here, but I will tell you it's not worth putting much into these, as you can get a new one for like a hundred bucks these days.

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again,thank you.

decoy

My aqua view also went down last year....

I prayed, "Lord, let there be an internal fuse..."

I took it apart carfully and there was, took it to a local tv repair shop. He fixed if for $5 and it took it took 5 minutes.

May be your problem...

I had the Aquavu scout with the blue monitor. If you have the original black version, the fuse is screwed into the side.

just a thought.

Big Dave2

I am the new guy here, but I will tell you it's not worth putting much into these, as you can get a new one for like a hundred bucks these days.

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again, thank you.

Dead-C-Force

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again, thank you.

Big Dave2

I know that what I have is not really worth saving but I hate to throw things away and I have been holding on to the hope that someday I will run across a camera that will work in this thing. If not it is no big deal. I never did use it very often. I generally fish at night anyway when these things are rendered useless.

I don't remember what the plugs look like either on it but I figured if I found one for the right price I could always splice some different ends on the cable.

Greenheads, I hope you get your camera up and running again. My opinion is that anything can be fixed. It's just a matter of whether or not it is cost effective to do so. Maybe it is something simple like a fuse such as Decoy pointed out. 2 nights ago my son's Playstation2 would not work. I took it apart and put it back together again and now it works fine!

Dead-C-Force

Hey Dave, thanks. I am still willing to look at your camera and monitor, if you can shoot me some pics of the leads and plugs- I might be able to lend a hand. The Aqua Vu's I know in my sleep, and I have the schematic for the wire codes and values. The others I might be able to help you walk through. I build different control boxes for the Aqua Vu's I have fixed, and make it all user friendly vs. a sealed factory unit, but it involves cutting off all the orig. connectors, etc.

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again , thank you.

polarsusd81

MN Greenheads, which camera do you have? Is it one of the older ones in the slim black case? If so, I had to fix mine last year. I lent it to my uncle, and he dropped it in the boat. Screen went out. I cut that sucker open carefully, and on the circuit board I found a solder joint that was broken. Fix the solder joint and fixed the Aqua-Vu. I can show you some pictures if you have the same kind of unit.

If you choose to go into it, be very careful cutting it open, you need to use a utility knife or x-acto blades to get it opened up. A dremel will create too much dust or crumble of plastic to clean out. It will take some time to get into them cause the plastic case is about 1/8" thick where you need to cut it open.

blarkey

If you buy a cheap Cabelas one which works pretty good, its warranted for life with a receipt and original box just exchanged my and was just over a year old

fishingbuddy

My Aqua wont get a picture. almost pure white... can see a little shadow...any ideas?