• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Underwater Camera

MN Greenheads

Question

Well My aquaview camera just went down - the screen isn't working. Now my decision is to send it back for repairs (no warranty it's 5 years old), buy a used one or buy a new one. Are the more inexpensive models of good enough quality? I was looking at the cabela's camera and another brand that was $170.00. What are all of your thoughts on cameras? I don't need color or 4 way view. Just looking for something that is durable, works and doesn't cost a fortune. Thanks.

11 answers to this question

I am the new guy here, but I will tell you it's not worth putting much into these, as you can get a new one for like a hundred bucks these days.

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again,thank you.

My aqua view also went down last year....

I prayed, "Lord, let there be an internal fuse..."

I took it apart carfully and there was, took it to a local tv repair shop. He fixed if for $5 and it took it took 5 minutes.

May be your problem...

I had the Aquavu scout with the blue monitor. If you have the original black version, the fuse is screwed into the side.

just a thought.

I am the new guy here, but I will tell you it's not worth putting much into these, as you can get a new one for like a hundred bucks these days.

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again, thank you.

I know that what I have is not really worth saving but I hate to throw things away and I have been holding on to the hope that someday I will run across a camera that will work in this thing. If not it is no big deal. I never did use it very often. I generally fish at night anyway when these things are rendered useless.

I don't remember what the plugs look like either on it but I figured if I found one for the right price I could always splice some different ends on the cable.

Greenheads, I hope you get your camera up and running again. My opinion is that anything can be fixed. It's just a matter of whether or not it is cost effective to do so. Maybe it is something simple like a fuse such as Decoy pointed out. 2 nights ago my son's Playstation2 would not work. I took it apart and put it back together again and now it works fine!

Hey Dave, thanks. I am still willing to look at your camera and monitor, if you can shoot me some pics of the leads and plugs- I might be able to lend a hand. The Aqua Vu's I know in my sleep, and I have the schematic for the wire codes and values. The others I might be able to help you walk through. I build different control boxes for the Aqua Vu's I have fixed, and make it all user friendly vs. a sealed factory unit, but it involves cutting off all the orig. connectors, etc.

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again , thank you.

MN Greenheads, which camera do you have? Is it one of the older ones in the slim black case? If so, I had to fix mine last year. I lent it to my uncle, and he dropped it in the boat. Screen went out. I cut that sucker open carefully, and on the circuit board I found a solder joint that was broken. Fix the solder joint and fixed the Aqua-Vu. I can show you some pictures if you have the same kind of unit.

If you choose to go into it, be very careful cutting it open, you need to use a utility knife or x-acto blades to get it opened up. A dremel will create too much dust or crumble of plastic to clean out. It will take some time to get into them cause the plastic case is about 1/8" thick where you need to cut it open.

If you buy a cheap Cabelas one which works pretty good, its warranted for life with a receipt and original box just exchanged my and was just over a year old