• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SE MN, Rochester - Red Wing - Winona Fishing Reports

After a while of catching trout around that size, we moved to another spot, which produced nothing. And while driving to another spot, I noticed this area. So we stopped and fished it. It just looked to… “trouty” to just pass up

104_1650.jpg

It didn’t take long before I was hooking up with small browns. It wasn’t until I pitched above one rock, where the current above it was very fast, but the pool below it was fairly slow, that I hooked up to a good sized fish.

trout8.jpg

After a few more brown trout we moved on, and tried another spot. A gorgeous looking water, crystal clear, flowing right trough a pasture.

104_1653.jpg

I wandered down the stream for a little while before finding a nice, deep pool. I tossed the bait in, and right away, fish on! This one was fighting a bit differently that others I caught before. After getting it close I realized it was a new species for me. And shortly afterward, I had my grand slam!

trout9.jpg

My first time trout fishing and I got my grand slam! I could not be happier!

Upon arriving back at the shellhorn, I still could not believe I had done it. That was the main reason I went with. And I wondered what I’m going to do the rest of the week… since the grand slam was something I was hoping to accomplish over the entire week… not one day

Day 2

I went back out with Dan, hitting some new areas, And checking every trouty looking area along the way. The guys wanted some trout for the table. And I would not let them down

After a few bridges, we found a nice big pod of keeper sized trout, only catching 3 until the bite shut off, and we moved on.

After a few more bridges, of nothing, we arrived at our spot. A pretty urban looking area, with 2 huge walls covered in graffiti , one on each side of the creek.

DSCN1124.jpg

Below one of the walls was a huge concrete slab, which the current cut around, creating a deep pool. And also cut underneath the slab, making perfect hide out for nice trout

As well as suckers

sucker-2.jpg

I caught 3 keepers before the bite slowed. And I moved downstream

DSCN1125.jpg

Where I caught this old girl

trout.jpg

We hit the area where I got my rainbow the day before, on the way back

And I caught this beauty

trout2.jpg

That night Joey and I hit the river across from the bar. We were looking for some cats. We had many large fish jumping out of the water in front of us, which I suspect were either very nice sized carp and buffalo, or sturgeon. It literally sounded like someone was throwing huge boulders into the water!

DSCN1103.jpg

continued next post

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JIvers

• *CRAPPIEKING*

• itchmesir

• crazyice

Day 3

I spent the day fishing alone in some ponds behind Dan’s house. Using this vessel as my fishing machine!

104_1662.jpg

I ended up catching 2 nice bull sunfish in the pond,

sunfish2.jpg

before I took a lighter boat, across the dike to access the spillway, where I caught this fat bass on a rat l trap

bass4-1.jpg

And a nice little shorthead

sucker2-2.jpg

I also found a bull snake bed, and was playing around with them for a bit

104_1667.jpg

104_1671.jpg

Big boy

104_1675.jpg

Day 4

I spent the day fishing alone down at a local park called, Wildcat Park. The park was right on the Mississippi, and also had a trout stream going through it. I had no luck on the river, so I went to the stream, which had one main pool right next to a road. It was a very heavily fished area, and the fish would not take live bait. But upon throwing out a fly… it was a whole different story, they literally tore the fly I was using to shreds! It no longer looks like a stonefly nymph any more, but pretty much a hook covered in black dubbing and a bead head

I had 3 keepers by the time the sun started to set, and once it did… I hooked into a NICE fish, which rocketed straight up out of the water nearly two feet several times. What a sight!

That fish, made the other keepers look like bait!

trout11.jpg

I hooked into another fish just like it, but it flopped right before I grabbed it, and threw the hook. UGH!

Day 5

I fished along a stretch of the Mississippi with a lot of houseboats, with little to show for it. 4 bass over a 1 mile section of river

At night, we had a fish fry of trout I caught. And I was also informed that we were leaving the next day, a day earlier than expected. We would be leaving around noon.

Day 6,

Woke up early to go fishing with Dan one last time and see if we could get a few more trout for me to take home. The trout fishing wasn’t so good. But we did find plenty of morel mushrooms!

104_1707.jpg

All in all… a week that I will NEVER forget!

I fished Lake Zumbro for the first time ever on Saturday. After reading some good crappie reports about the lake, I convinced the future brother in law to come out with me.

After 2 hours of trying everything in the book to get the crappies to bite, we packed up shop and headed toward the dam and decided to target sunnies.

A flu flu and waxie under a bobber lit them up. It was steady 7"-8" sunnies the rest of the afternoon with a bunch of bonus smallies.

The odd thing was that it was a total sausagefest. We didn't get one single female with eggs. All males.

• 3 weeks later...

Fished Lake Winona on the 17th... Pannies are in the shallows in full spawn.. in no more than 1 1/2' of water... went out for 3 hours and the action was non-stop.. personally i was throwing a popper on my fly rod but any micro lure within 1-2ft of them should spark a reaction... I would cast my popper out.. give it a twitch and watch as a wake from 2ft away would shoot towards my popper and take it down.. it was quite exciting

• 2 weeks later...

I've brought 5 new people into the flyfishing community and i'm brining the 6th out tomorrow. I have them ready your post before we go to get them excited. Thanks for sharing and for the great pics.

Hit up the Lake Zumbro on Monday, Made a day of it out at sunrise till 5 in the afternoon. Hitting Large mouth all day long. Northern's here and there but mainly Bass... The Bass in the Picture came out of about two feet of water. [img:center]http://DSC03660.jpgDSC03661.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this really makes me want to try flyfishing. Maybe i'll look at taking a day trip over to that area of the state one of these days.

I am planning on a camping trip to Money Haven for the July 4th weekend and I have never fished Money Creek. Does anyone have any helpful information for me to use. I have fished the Root River in and around Lanesboro for Trout and Smallies. Just curious for any info if someone wants to share. Thanks.

I'm just wondering if there are some fishable creeks around the area for my nephews to maybe catch something or if we will have to do some driving to the Root.

The creek itself isnt bad that runs through the campgrounds but I would tell you to head over towards the houston area and try out some of the creeks over their. I don't want to give out any hot spots but get a map and find some waters and you will catch plenty of fish otherwise right in the campground under the bridge if you are using worms is a fine place to start there are plenty of different species you will catch their by the rapids.

not going to give out any particular spots, but in the Houston area, check out Rush, Pine, and Beaver creeks. you should do ok

JClay, both posts by Hector and goBlueM are very good. The Badger is another in the area towards the Beaver that offers brookies.

hopefully you are spin fishing.. because most of these creek shores are waaaaay over grown..and dont forget to stay away from the wild parsnip

hopefully you are spin fishing.. because most of these creek shores are waaaaay over grown..and dont forget to stay away from the wild parsnip as there is a LOT of it out there right now. I managed to brush both arms on something my skin doesn't like today, although I don't think it is parsnip. (Pretty much any plant that might cause a reaction in someone will cause a reaction if it touches me.)

I was fishing a little west of Money Creek this morning, and did really well on a small headwater stream with spinning gear.

It's always interesting to see what one finds in a fish's stomach; the trout I kept to grill today had a mix of black sludge and sand/grit in their gut: it was almost like cleaning a pheasant's gizzard. grin Black sludge in the stomach means insects or some other soft-bodied food, and I am guessing the sand and grit came from scooping whatever they were eating out of the bottom.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anybody have any idea on what the fishing has been like in Rochester on any of the retention ponds around. There seems to be very little talk about the area and I guess I am looking to maybe rekindle that if possible. Looking to head out somewhere in the area this weekend and early next week. Looking for a little advise because if not I guess I am just going to have to wing it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Streams are still in good condition right now.. have been out 4 of the last 5 days... I suggest getting any stream fishing in this weekend.. with over night temps supposedly to be above 32F next week.. things are bound to get muddy...

Hopefully the weather works in our favor here after the thaw next week... streams should be in good condition come April 15th!

• The topic was unpinned