• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SE MN, Rochester - Red Wing - Winona Fishing Reports

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JIvers

• *CRAPPIEKING*

• itchmesir

• crazyice

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

How about helping us make this a go to thread for fishing reports.

Please feel free to chime in.

Hello Fellow Anglers. Well, a group of 6 of us anglers (most very dedicated) headed out for a fishing trip on Foster Arend's today. There was a little chill in the air, but sitting in the Voyagers with good 'ol Mr. Heater going was great. We drilled 39 holes and moved 4 times. After 6 1/2 hours on the ice, we had caught 2 6-7" crappies, and one smaller bass.

I think that we will take the crew to the backwaters and hopefully all of the work will payoff in a different location. It is close to town which is nice, but we were looking for action this time (not always about catching fish but I have some visitors this weekend)

Zumbro has been slow as I've been out there 4 times in the past 12 days. Avg of 2 crappies per 4 hours of fishing - went through a whole tank of gas trying to find the little buggers.

Best of luck to y'all - we're heading east.

Mike

Well after a lot of hours on the water this past three days, not a lot of fish caught. Started out on the backwaters between Wabasha and Nelson. Went to the pontoon launch and walked out (short walk, maybe 10 minutes). Fished in 6 feet of water under power lines. Had 4 sonars and 2 cameras going (not just me, had a group of us) - we saw a great number of schools of fish, quite the sight to see (40-50 gills and crappies at a time for 30 minutes straight). We caught 10- seems they had come in to feed and we caught them on their way back out. Then we headed down to lake winona and fished in 6-10 feet of water on the south side and caught some nice large mouth bass (4 @ 15" and a few random panfish). Genz worms were the ticket on lake winona. We fished Lake Zumbro the next day with little success - 2 decent white crappies (10") a black not worth mentioning size and a 26" northern. For the evening headed to Foster Arend and caught 30+ fish with not one being over 6 inches I think. Oh well, action is good I guess. Anyone have a lead on some 'eyes or sauger? Fish 'em hard and fish 'em often!

I was at Willow Creek this morning, and got into a few 'gills, but the bite was tough. The ones that were up high in the water column were the only ones that would hit. A small jig and a waxie sitting almost still got most fish.

i went to zumbro both days this last weekend and did very well. this bodie of water gets hit really hard and 90% of the feed back is negitive and i dont get why people arent catching fish. saturday i caught alot of crappies in 20 fow no monsters just solid 8 inchers to one at 12. (only kept two for supper). sunday was a little different caught some out at 20 fow but it was slow and then moved in some and did well. to catch fish here you have to move often and try everything and after you do that do it again!

hey guys just leaving more info i was there mon, tue, and wed, night after work form about 3 to a couple hours past dark and caught an adverage of 5 crappies each night from 11 the smallest and a couple 14s, but i was trying different spots and such getting ready for this weekend. they all took a minno about 2 feet off the bottom but i am still looking for the spot they move into at night.. if anyone else knows i wouldnt mind the tips... ha ha if you want to give it out i would be willing to give up some thing i have figured out also

I fished airport lake a couple mornings last week--lots of small sunnies, and one largemouth on a tip-up.

went to Zumbo this weekend and fished about 29 fow and caught lots of gills at a wide veriety of sizes. twards the night we also did well on the crappies not alot because it seems to be a small window but ended up with 9 very nice crappies between 4 people with a couple missed and smaller ones not counted. looks like no one else is fishing out there but i see lots of shacks and traffic and you cant tell me no one reading this hasnt been out there...

i dont really want detailed info but i just want to know if people have found a more consistand bit.

I was out there Sunday evening for a few hours with my kid. Too cold for her to keep moving around, so we just sat in the portable. Sad to say not even a bite. Nothing to report here other than a few shacks being moved around.

Your report is the best I have heard in quite a while Crappie. I haven't been out there targeting pans yet this year but sounds like the crappies are very finicky and require some moving. The gills are being found in areas outside of the norm and away from crappies.

yeah it pretty crazy how finiky they can be but everytime like an hour befor dark now they hit like every other one its weird beacuse you cant really get them at all during the day. i know the gills just arent in the spots where the [PoorWordUsage] are at all. its seem one or the othe i havent really found and gil;ls this year one here or there but nothing consistant. thanks for the info guys

I went to Zumbro today from 7am - noon. Not a thing, not even a bit. Though this is the second time I have ever been ice fishing and really do not know what I am doing. I didn't have a flasher so I went to area's where I knew I caught fish in the spring. I hit the high banks area and fished from the 8 FOW through the break out to 26 FOW (drilled lots of holes, water depth is an estmate since I didn't have a flasher). I bought a flasher tonight since they are on sale at Fleet Farm. I will be back out there again Monday afternoon. Not sure where I will go. I guess I'll keep drilling holes until I run out of gas........ Open water is sooooo much easier.

Friday P.M. on the Zumbro, slooow bite. Sat. in the A.M. on Gamehaven, Lots of little guys with occasional 9" to 10" crappie. Sun. P.M. on Willow Creek, slow bite, better size than I was expecting.

sunday went to the zumbro from late afternoon to dark and ended up with 3 crappies and 2 catfish it was slow...

• 4 weeks later...

hey sorry i havent been on in a while but i always catch atleast 2 cats everytime im there 18 to 20 fow...and i alwas catch them about 5 feet off bottom

I was sucker fishing below the Silver Lake dam, got about eight white suckers in two hours. Slip sinker rig with a 2" piece of crawler on the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

I was out at whitwater but had no luck. I was fishing a 7foot 9inch 5 weight with a spin reel and 2lb test. I used some waxies/ red worms under a small bober, or a #1 countdown in brook trout. Had no luck. I skared an eagel that was about 15 or 30 feet away =P.

went and fished Rush yesterday... bout 60% visibility... caught 2 small browns in a matter of a half hour... spinning with panther martins.. would have stayed longer but the swift current snagged both my black/yellow patterns

Was out sucker fishing this morning for a few hours upstream of silver lake closer to Hwy 52, landed about a dozen 1-2lbs suckers using a 3/8 jighead tipped with half a crawler

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Chester is accessible right now? Is the ice off of it? I was thinking about heading there Friday Morning (April 3.

Hey Randy, Let us know how you did. I would assume the ice is all off. I was thinking of hitting chester this week but was wondering what the water temp was.

Unfortuently I was not able to get out, but this week is looking a lot better weather-wise.

I tried out Foster this weekend--Got a couple of hits on a Kastmaster spoon but didn't land any. I saw quite a few others out there who also didn't seem to be catching any. I'm hoping things will pick up in the next few weeks.

I was out at Foster's for quite a while on Sunday with a fly rod, got seven rainbows and missed a couple others. Half came on a beadhead hare's ear and pink squirrel nymph, the others came on a black wooley bugger with some flashabou tied in.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm taking my son to Foster's tomorrow to try it out. We've never fished there before so can anyone rec'd a good spot?

I would start out fishing the dock, if that's overcrowded or not producing, try the NE corner up by the landing, or the SW corner. All are pretty much community spots, try a fathead minnow under a float just a few feet down, if that doesn't get them going, I would try the powerbait option.

• The topic was unpinned