• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waconia Fishing

Waylon&Willy

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BuckKiller

• CARVER_COUNTRY

• honda4life

• iceman1212

22"-28" walleyes are prime breeding fish. These large fish are prime breeders and it takes many years to achieve this size class. With people taking fish from a lake in this size class it can hurt the future walleye population because those fish aren't able to forgo with reproduction. Granted one isn't going to hurt the lake but its the people that take a couple of fish this size during there outing or you keep one of this size every time you go out. Let someone else who enjoys this type of trophy class fishing experience the same thrill you did when you caught a trophy fish. I'm sure by throwing a fish back of this size class and taking a smaller one instead were not going to starve. We are bettering nature by allowing this size fish to stay and taking smaller sized fish it mainly has to do with ethics. I would have to say that those fish are great for taking pictures and making memories. Catch, Photo, and Release also think about replicas and give someone else the chance to catch a quality sized fish.

I am Fully with Ice-King here. You cant put a price on your son/daughter's face when the catch a fish that caliber can you?!?!? so why dont we preserve the lake so our children can enjoy this caliber of fishing when they get older, yes i see this wont happen over night but it will over time.

I am Fully with Ice-King here. You cant put a price on your son/daughter's face when the catch a fish that caliber can you?!?!? so why dont we preserve the lake so our children can enjoy this caliber of fishing when they get older, yes i see this wont happen over night but it will over time.

you son or daughter is happy with perch sunny and crappie... I usually don't keep the fish in those size ranges.. the point of the post is there is nothing wrong with someone doing it... i guarantee that no one is letting all there 12 inch crappies go hopping to get a 17 incher... some of you just put value on certain fish... that's just not correct...

some lakes all you catch at 7 inch crappies... and people deal with it take them home and eat them... taste the same as a larger one... better in my opinion...

no one on here is getting jumped for a crappie or big sunny... if you are able to catch it and keep it legally it is only fair you can eat it... and do so with out so much public scrutiny.

I keep 1 or 2 22-24"ers per year to broil cause there great.

I fish big water so that doesn't have a huge impact.

As long as you don't posses over your legal limit and only take one over 20" per day have at it that's the law.

As people mature in the sport somthing happens to them, and the smile turning them back is bigger than the one that stares at the bucket.

I DO NOT AGREE WITH PEOPLE TELLING OTHERS WHAT THEY SHOULD OR SHOULDN'T KEEP!!!!

come on guys this is getting old... if the fish/deer (or whatever) is legel leave them alone

lol okay back to waconia... I was out last night and caught three walleyes... 10, 14 and 19 inch. sunnies were slow today but hopefully will pick up again with it warming.

I was out on a small lake in the Waconia area Friday night...marked a number of fish, but only managed to put 6 crappies in the frying pan between 2 guys. Pretty disappointing, but we still had a lot of fun. We just couldn't find the right combination to trigger

my guess is it was either hydes or parley... if it was, both are hit and miss lakes from my experience with them.

22"-28" walleyes are prime breeding fish. These large fish are prime breeders and it takes many years to achieve this size class. With people taking fish from a lake in this size class it can hurt the future walleye population because those fish aren't able to forgo with reproduction. Granted one isn't going to hurt the lake but its the people that take a couple of fish this size during there outing or you keep one of this size every time you go out. Let someone else who enjoys this type of trophy class fishing experience the same thrill you did when you caught a trophy fish. I'm sure by throwing a fish back of this size class and taking a smaller one instead were not going to starve. We are bettering nature by allowing this size fish to stay and taking smaller sized fish it mainly has to do with ethics. I would have to say that those fish are great for taking pictures and making memories. Catch, Photo, and Release also think about replicas and give someone else the chance to catch a quality sized fish.

OK, first off I am going to apologize for bringing this back up................but,...............This is Waconia we are talking about, right? From what I understand there is very little if any natural walleye breeding going on in that lake. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong but that makes this lake a put and take lake. If these big walleyes are not breeding anyway, what difference does it make to take them out? What good does it do to put them back?

Just remember, every lake has a different set of circumstances, that is why they are all managed differently.

yep still hopping to get out tomorrow.. and hope to bring my son with.. if anyone has room inside would be cool or should be warm enough to fish out the van during the day anyways. kid can fit anywhere lol but i am a large man and require solid seating if anyone has it. see ya on the ice and good luck all...

my guess is it was either hydes or parley... if it was, both are hit and miss lakes from my experience with them.

Spot on. I think we were a day early. I thought the action would pick up with the approaching "heat wave", but I think this morning/today would be have the time to jum on that bite. Might try to head out to Waconia tomorrow (Sunday).

hi chris larry here dont know if Ill be coming to your get together on waconia today which is sunday because was helping that farmer yesterday and was doing alot of lifting and my back is kind of sore so I might or might not be out there today have to see maybe some other time nothing else sorry

Yesterday 4 of us only brought up 3 fish worth keeping. Day bite got us a nice sized sunny, and we were expecting a great nite bite on the crappie. We did bring up a few on minnows, but they seemed to be loners (no others with them). One was 9" and another was 10". After not catching anything to go with them, we released them and packed up at about 7.

Buck, thanks for letting us set up by your house! We were on about 10' where we were. It was nice meeting you, hopefully me and the wife can make it out there today!

yep still hopping to get out tomorrow.. and hope to bring my son with.. if anyone has room inside would be cool or should be warm enough to fish out the van during the day anyways. kid can fit anywhere lol but i am a large man and require solid seating if anyone has it. see ya on the ice and good luck all...

Pwalla,

My wife and I are going out and have room for two if you'd like. You can call me (763-439-2996). I can bring seating if you need.

-J

Originally Posted By: Ice-King

OK, first off I am going to apologize for bringing this back up................but,...............This is Waconia we are talking about, right? From what I understand there is very little if any natural walleye breeding going on in that lake. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong but that makes this lake a put and take lake. If these big walleyes are not breeding anyway, what difference does it make to take them out? What good does it do to put them back?

Just remember, every lake has a different set of circumstances, that is why they are all managed differently.

According to the DNR lakefinder, 22.5% of the walleyes caught in the most recent survey were from natural reproduction. If my memory serves me correct, I think it was over 40% in the previous survey. This is substantial and I don't really understand why the lake doesn't have a slot like other walleye lakes.

Buck killer nice pike you got at the marina just wondering you get that off a tip up rig? shiner?

yup... tip-up and shinner with just a plain hook

BTW how did you know it was me?

Tim, are you going to be out Tuesday morning? Have the day off and thinking about coming out.

Good Luck Fishing!

No I gotta work all week. I wont be out til maybe thurday night or friday... unless I call in sick...hmmm... no, I need the money lol. we will get out sometime tho

Does anyone know what happened to the weeds this year? Has anyone came across the mossy millfoil this year like i have? What causes that?

also whats up with all the "curly leaf" (i think that is what it is? only comes up off the bottom like 12-18 inches) Seems like you cant find a good weedline from milfoil to clear bottom like you could in the last couple years

Just wondering

Was out this weekend slow bite on the crappies (did manage to keep 4 and let a 13" go back) lots of little sunfish and no eye action. Man center reef got populated fast!! LOL Moved the house and not any closer that 40 yards from another house and by the end of Sunday I’ve got houses all around me (But that’s ice fishing) Just wish the wouldn’t park so close to my house but rather there’s. (Stealthy little buggers) LMAO Think it’s time to move again LOL

There is some natural reproduction, but really that makes no difference to me. Selective harvest can go a long ways for any species on any lake. Even if there was no natural reproduction in Waconia, wouldnt you like to catch big walleyes? Waconia would balance out more if not so many people were keeping the big fish. Just because they are stocked frequently doesnt mean they are not going to grow to large fish if given the chance.

Can you imagine all the GIANT Walleyes, Pike, and Crappies the great fishery of Waconia would put out if none were taken? Even with the amazing pressure this lake recieves it manages to keep kicking out some real trophies on occation.