• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waconia Fishing

Waylon&Willy

What is the latest news out on Waconia? Is anyone having luck? No need to list spots, just wondering if it is happening or dead right now. That lake always seems to be Hit or Miss and I find it to be that way for the entire lake whether the fishing is good or bad.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BuckKiller

• CARVER_COUNTRY

• honda4life

• iceman1212

Not familiar with Waconia. I suppose people are walking out right now? Can anyone explain to me where I can get on the lake, preferably by good structure. Would like to put in a day this monday or tuesday.

was out on the 24th in the morning, caught 15 perch 4 fatties about 10".

There are people driving full sized trucks all over the lake. about 12 inches of ice where I was, north east side.

Cal, pretty sure I saw something posted about them plowing roads out there and that was a week ago. Anyone have accurate ice measurements for the lake?

was out on the 24th in the morning, caught 15 perch 4 fatties about 10".

There are people driving full sized trucks all over the lake. about 12 inches of ice where I was, north east side.

OK great, where do I get on? Is there a fee?

There is a public launch on the east side of the lake. If you are on Hwy 5 going west, you'll see a sign for the landing about the time you are near the golf course, BEFORE you get to town. I haven't gone out of this ramp in the winter, only the summer.

The few times I've fished Waconia, I usually go out instead at the In-Towne marina, on the SOUTH side of the lake. It's a private launch and it costs like a buck or something. Maybe 2, I haven't been there this year so I don't know. I guess the times I've been out it's been thinner ice too, so I was walking. Not sure if they charge walkers less than trucks or not.

Give em a call and ask about the price, or use the public launch. As I said, when I was out there in the past, it's been thinner ice. I didn't want to walk from the public launch all the way over to where I wanted to fish, so that's why I used the marina launch. Perhaps if they're driving everywhere, the public launch wouldn't be as bad of an option.

2 dollars per day to drive on but there are three free accesses to the lake... one on east side, south side and west side. ice is 12-15 I believe. not much snow, probably could get a car out without any problems. fish are bitting, there was at least 5 northers weighed in at in towne today 5, 6, 7, 9 and 14. 5-7 oz sunnies like crazy, not much for crappies (gets hit to hard when they are spawning IMO)

I never have any luck on Waconia in the winter, I would love to get some sunnie and or perch action, any tips on what to look for? I have Vex. and gps. I was around under the wire last week and had alot on the vex but no hits, 13 fow, 12" of weeds on bottom, tried waxies, euro, and minnows, nothing. Even had a guy drop down his aq=vu we saw lots of crappie but no bites. any tips Buckiller?

Greg

Downsize your presentation and make sure you got a spring bobber or an ice buster set real sensitive. Try to slowly reel it up if a fish is looking at it and see if they take it.

acmanu2- well first of all I wouldn't go to the "under the wires" to much traffic going back and forth. I would hit either center or pillbury in 12 FOW for sunnies... crappies a little deeper, perch are everywhere. Mistake #2 (for most people) is fishing during the day... worst time. go out around 2:30 pm be ready by 3 or 3:30 and fish til dark shoud catch something. small red moon glows work the best for me... good luck and happy fishin'

Are people driving out yet? Or should I say is the ice safe to drive on yet? People are driving on Prior, and a truck went trhough today..

Are people driving out yet? Or should I say is the ice safe to drive on yet? People are driving on Prior, and a truck went trhough today..

I was out there yesterday and there were lots and lots of trucks driving everywhere! We drove around out in Wagner's bay area and to the marina and back and had no trouble.

yup people have been driving on for 2 1/2 weeks already and so far so good.

but I won't say weather or not its safe...don't want to get into any trouble if something happens

acmanu2- well first of all I wouldn't go to the "under the wires" to much traffic going back and forth. I would hit either center or pillbury in 12 FOW for sunnies... crappies a little deeper, perch are everywhere. Mistake #2 (for most people) is fishing during the day... worst time. go out around 2:30 pm be ready by 3 or 3:30 and fish til dark shoud catch something. small red moon glows work the best for me... good luck and happy fishin'

probably should add that if you want nice perch use buck shots or swedish pimples just like millacs.

Went out for the first time on Waconia late last night (9pm) with someone who "knew the area" and fished in 15 FOW near ?Andersons Reef? Had a nice 11" crappie by 10:30. Iced 5 similar sized crappies and C.A.R'd 2 walleye (both under the 17" slot) We drove a full size Ford with very little problem. Looked like around 14" of slush topped ice. Felt very confident out there tho. Nice to see fish pretty consistent all night. They chased forage minnow on vex, but were finiky. Caught the last (5th) slab at 5 am. Look forward to visiting there again, even tho its an hour drive from Vadnais Heights.

Been having better than usual luck this year, We have landeded (3) 12" crappies, (1) 13" crappie, and (1) 14" crappie in the last week, along with quite a few 8" sunnys. All are late at night, 16fow. Minnows have been pretty much useless, many have tried them in my house and only 1 or 2 fish caught on them. Glow jigs tipped with euros are the key right now. Only catching thousands of tiny perch during the day, frustrating, but its game on when the sun goes down.

Most fish 2ft off the bottom, but all but 1 of the slabs have been more like 5ft off the bottom, suspended above the main schools. Was a pretty consistent pattern developing until we got the last big crappie right on the bottom.

Thanks BuckKiller. Yes, 16" slot. The walleye I did catch were 14". We never tried Euro's, but makes sense. I caught 4 of the 5 crappies on a drop jig with a minnow head.

just wondering if anyone is catching any eyes on waconia, don't need a specific spot. Have some cousins up here from South Carolina and I want to put them on some fish. Any information would be great!!! Have a safe and happy new years and go VIKES!!!

Fished out on Waconia today for a few hours, beautiful day out no need for the shack. Did ok couple of decent size crappies and a huge largemouth. Pretty good day for my first time out this year, can't wait to get out more.

fished 12-23-08 Perch were insane until dark. Then caught a handful of crappies. LOTS OF TRAFFIC!!!!!!

All the perch(small) you want. My five year old suns caught 25 each, by themselves. fished 12-26-08

As long as everyone is safe . That is the main thing . I do not think it is very wise to traveling that fast at night. You do not know what you may be coming up on and it is not easy to stop on a dime when you are on ice.

Good Luck Fishing

Eyes are being caught. Big one at that check the marina. Go find the 2 big towns on the lake. If people feel they are not catching good size fish. Then maybe they should leave the towns and go adventure. Unreal the amount of houses in the 2 areas this year.

I have now lived in the west metro for 6 years I cannot believe how many houses are on the west end this year. Every year the numbers seem to climb out there, unbelievable.

[Note from admin: edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.] < Really??

I would love an explanation or ruling on this one. I gave my name and my employer hoping to spark a memory from a salesman that went through my office a year ago. The best part is that I recognized his image from Fishing Minnesota and we talked about Fishing Minnesota after his visit. I posted no links or was not soliciting any product, simply trying to reconnect with a Fm user.

Tom, I think my house is next to yours. After I moved it to that spot on Saturday I noticed a house that says 169 sports in a framed in area. I figure it has to be yours or Jason's.

I'm taking mine off tonight after one more try. We are leaving for Waska for an annual trip on Thursday.