• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waconia Fishing

Waylon&Willy

I can remember a few years back when you couldnt keep the pike of the tip-up but it seems that theses past two years you cant even catch one! Back about five years ago i would go through a dozen of shiners a day and have blast but this year i have fished them a couple times but never had a flag. Even if you go into the marina this year there isnt that many photos of pike in there like the years past. Maybe they go in cycles? Who knows

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BuckKiller

• CARVER_COUNTRY

• honda4life

• iceman1212

I caught the last pike on waconia. Yep, the last one. There are no pike left. Now walleyes on the other hand, you can catch them by the bucket full. They are everywhere.

How about those crappie, haven not made it out since Sat. Anyone trying deep yet? Chris how you doing? moved back to center or still deeper?

I don't know about you guys but I can't keep those eyes off my rattle reels in the winter on waconia... sometimes in the SUMMER I even wake up in the middle of the night because I think I hear the bells clanking...

How many have you caught this year out there iceman. We have only got two this year but in the summer it is a different story. Hit sunnies during the day and walleyes just before the stars come out. Anyways we have been catching some crappies every where we go on the lake and even on Tonka. But you have to work pretty hard for them. If you have a camera just start punching holes one after another and youll find the mother load. My arms are dead after last weekend from punching at least a hundred holes but it paid off Two of us got our limit of crapps in twenty minutes 9-12 inchers. Just to let people know if you have a perm I would bring out the extensions unless you want to bust the knuckles up. Buckkiller have you been doing good since I talked to you a couple weeks ago when your dad was out there. I was in the red house. Good luck to everyone this weekend it looks warm .:)

I don't know about you guys but I can't keep those eyes off my rattle reels in the winter on waconia... sometimes in the SUMMER I even wake up in the middle of the night because I think I hear the bells clanking...

Thats what you call ICE FISHING FEVER Iceman! haha it happens to me in mid july this year and lastnight i wake up to the picture of a muskie chasing the figure 8! god i have fishing problems!

Iceman, you going to be out tom night? if so swing on by and we can shoot the breeze and kill some time otherwise!

This is my 2nd year ice fishing since about 20 years ago... I have a 8x16 wheelhouse on Waconia. Last year I did very well with the Walleyes and Crappies on Pillsbury, this year...[PoorWordUsage]. I've moved my house all over the lake. I'm back in the vicinity of Pillsbury in 12' of water, half on half off the weeds now and have HUNDREDS of fish on the camera... mostly sunfish, but also quite a few perch, crappie, and largemouth bass, and one muskie. The problem is I can't hardly catch a thing this year. I've only really been going after walleyes & crappies. A friend has my H20/Lakemaster... and I don't know the lake well enough to intelligently find a new spot. I've spent a lot of time drilling holes and using the Lowrance and camera but I don't really know where to begin. I'm seeing tons of fish where I am now, but have caught no walleyes or northerns and few crappies. Anyways... if anybody knows a secret hotspot or has a GPS w/chip but doesn't have a house to fish out of.. let's get together! I have 8 holes, 2 bunks, stove, sat tv, etc.. drop me an e-mail [email protected]

How about those crappie, haven not made it out since Sat. Anyone trying deep yet? Chris how you doing? moved back to center or still deeper?

Its kind of been the same all year long. You can go out and catch a few here and there not much for numbers being caught like in the past years.

This is my 2nd year ice fishing since about 20 years ago... I have a 8x16 wheelhouse on Waconia. Last year I did very well with the Walleyes and Crappies on Pillsbury, this year...[PoorWordUsage]. I've moved my house all over the lake. I'm back in the vicinity of Pillsbury in 12' of water, half on half off the weeds now and have HUNDREDS of fish on the camera... mostly sunfish, but also quite a few perch, crappie, and largemouth bass, and one muskie. The problem is I can't hardly catch a thing this year. I've only really been going after walleyes & crappies. A friend has my H20/Lakemaster... and I don't know the lake well enough to intelligently find a new spot. I've spent a lot of time drilling holes and using the Lowrance and camera but I don't really know where to begin. I'm seeing tons of fish where I am now, but have caught no walleyes or northerns and few crappies. Anyways... if anybody knows a secret hotspot or has a GPS w/chip but doesn't have a house to fish out of.. let's get together! I have 8 holes, 2 bunks, stove, sat tv, etc.. drop me an e-mail [email protected]

OtterMN shoot me an email. at mnfishtrapper@yahoo

What are the current ice conditions on Waco? Any snow cover, or is it all ice? Heading out there tonight and meeting a friend out there who has a car. He doesn't know if his car will make it. Basically heading out from In-Towne and veering right past Harms Pt toward the western end by Pilsbury. Thanks in advance.

How many have you caught this year out there iceman. We have only got two this year but in the summer it is a different story.

I have caught enough of them out there this winter to make the red lake tribe jealous.

There are some thick snow areas but you should be able to go around them for the most part. Lots of areas where cars can drive. The biggest problems are the access's but the marina should be fine for a car and there should pretty much be a road to the area your talking about.

I have caught enough of them out there this winter to make the red lake tribe jealous.

Pulling doubles like its going out of style.

Originally Posted By: iceman1212

Pulling doubles like its going out of style.

HOLLY MARCO! the sh!t is getting deep, i better put on my wadders! But seriously can i have you GPS Coords? jk haha

I am new to the forum but I fished Waconia last weekend up by Reinke Reef and had a handful of nice sized perch in about 10-15ft of water. Nothing on my tip up, though? I was a little suprised that I didn't even get 1 snake all day but after reading the posts.. it sounds like ther ain't many Pike out there.

Waconia is tough for pike, but if you do find them they are usually bigger. Low numbers but good size in that lake.

Do you have any general suggestions where I could be looking for them? As I'm not catching any otherwise, it wouldn't hurt me any to look for them in tougher waters smile. Rough GPS coord range maybe?

Or perhaps, better yet, someone could help me eliminate some pinpoints I've identified as possibilities?

Here's the thing. The wife is very supportive of my fishing hobby, but she's starting to lose patience with my lack of contribution to the frying pan smile If I don't start catching fish soon, I'm liable to be told to put my gear on an auction site or something.... *looks frantic* ...

Ok, so it probably won't come to that...I hope. But still, I could use some help, if there was anybody that felt like mentoring a poor newb. Additionally, I'm not allowed to venture out onto the ice alone, so an occasional fishing partner would be delightful.

catch me at [email protected] if you're interested, or can help point me towards something.

Thanks!

What are the current ice conditions on Waco? Any snow cover, or is it all ice? Heading out there tonight and meeting a friend out there who has a car. He doesn't know if his car will make it. Basically heading out from In-Towne and veering right past Harms Pt toward the western end by Pilsbury. Thanks in advance.

My buddy made it out there ok. Fishing was slow though. It was good around twilight, but lots of small fish, nothing really impressive, then things pretty much shut down after dark. Sniffers but not many takers. Last saturday when I was out with a couple other buds we did good with quite a few nice gills and crappies.

Anybody else catch fish last night?

was out last night. NOTHING! They weren't in my usual spots last night. Tried 26' off of pills, on pills, "under the wire" in waconia bay. Nothing but some small sunnies on the camera and caught one nice perch out deep. Anyone have luck last night?

MNfishtrapper ,

I think you and I should get together and talk. I started the night shift thread. You chimed in about A gtg somewhere overnight.I would love to talk to you about that as I think I have A whole lot to offer on the night fishing deal. I don't know everything about it but I've been perfecting the night walleye bite for about 20 years. I'd love to teach (or learn)from anybody who wants some insight into fish that don't bite during the day. If you were fat and lazy and you could see dinner but they couldn't see you isn't that when you would eat.

MNfishtrapper ,

I think you and I should get together and talk. I started the night shift thread. You chimed in about A gtg somewhere overnight.I would love to talk to you about that as I think I have A whole lot to offer on the night fishing deal. I don't know everything about it but I've been perfecting the night walleye bite for about 20 years. I'd love to teach (or learn)from anybody who wants some insight into fish that don't bite during the day. If you were fat and lazy and you could see dinner but they couldn't see you isn't that when you would eat.

Unless you are so full of baitfish you could puke . You probably would not want to bite on anything.

Man its going to be a nice day out there today! thinking about moving the house to chase those elusive walleyes before the season closes!

Buckkiller where have you been lately? are you on vacation or what? Just seeing if you can point me in the right direction to catch some eyes before i have to take the shanty off! Thanks

MNfishtrapper ,

Haha! I see your point! Shoot me an email at MNFishtrapper@yahoo

Nobody catching anything out there or what? No posts for 2 days? Hey buck are the walleyes snappin out there yet?

I think either Buck is slaying the eyes and still on the ice or disappeared!!

I was out in center Friday night, did fair on crappie and sunnies from 5-8 but had to come in.

Was out this morning and nothing but perch and tiny sunnies. I had one sucker down on rattle reel, had a 20" or so northern swim by the camera but no hits. 6am-1pm and not even close to any keepers I think it's time to go deeper.

Hello everyone

went out on Waconia on saturday from 10:00 am till 7:00 pm. me and my son fished on the right side of the main road out of maas bait shop marina. a lot of nibbles but only 2 small pumkin seeds. I dont want to sound greedy but can some one direct me to a little better spot if there is such a thing this winter. we were in about 10 to 12 feet of water. I see more people are fishing in way deeper water. I am not that familer with the lake. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brad, 10-12' is the perfect depth for sunnies on Waconia. Try Center or Pillsbury if you want something a little different.

Nobody catching anything out there or what? No posts for 2 days? Hey buck are the walleyes snappin out there yet?

friday night i got skunked, did manage to catch a nice buzz tho! crazy as for buckkiller I think he pulled all the fish out of the lake and is heading to whaletail? who knows?? anyone else have any luck?