• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waconia Fishing

Waylon&Willy

Hey Iceman it was nice meeting you tonight! we will have to meet up some other time but this time in my house possible! Untill then, Keep the bobber under the ice!!!

Not a problem buddy! Remember next time you owe me a couple of cold ones!! grin Hopefully some of my fishing secrets can help you out, and don't spill the beans!!until next time... "Keep the bobber under the ice!"

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BuckKiller

• CARVER_COUNTRY

• honda4life

• iceman1212

Originally Posted By: CARVER_COUNTRY
Hey Iceman it was nice meeting you tonight! we will have to meet up some other time but this time in my house possible! Untill then, Keep the bobber under the ice!!!

Not a problem buddy! Remember next time you owe me a couple of cold ones!! grin Hopefully some of my fishing secrets can help you out, and don't spill the beans!!until next time... "Keep the bobber under the ice!"

Next time I will bring more waxies!!!

Looks like any replies to my question may have disappeared with the thread....crazy....

Anyhow, I'll try again.

I'm (a newbie,) looking to take some pals out on Waconia on saturday afternoon, looking for northern, primarily. But I keep reading that while the northern in Waconia are very large (on average), they are also very rare.

So, my question is: What do you guys recommend? Skip Waconia altogether, and try a different lake (what? Parley?) ? Try my luck on waconia? If so, anybody have any suggestions? I've never fished for pike on waconia before (and only on other lakes a handful of times...), so I don't really know of any good spots to try. I have a good lakemaster map, and I've ID'd a few places that look potentially promising, based on the success I've had with some old timers up north, but....

Any advice?

Thanks!

Drive over to Minnetonka for pike. Set up on the weedline about 10ft. Try jigging for sunnies before setting out tipups etc. if you aren't catching any in 10 minutes pike aren't likely to be there so move until you start catching them. I'd try Phelps or Carson's bays but almost every weedline in Minnetonka has pike roaming it.

[quote name='Big Dave2

Hey Tom' date='

Did you get your window or whatever was broke in your house fixed? Are you still leaving your house out or are you pulling it off every time?

Any Crappies in that shallow? [/quote']

Yup took me longer to clean up the glass than fix the window. lol I have been pulling it back and forth but mainly due to changing spots etc. I guess I have just started thinking of it as a boat. grin Only two small crappies caught in the shallow water.

Originally Posted By: iceman1212
Originally Posted By: CARVER_COUNTRY

Next time I will bring more waxies!!!

How about tonight? I could shoot the breeze for a while. Carver you going to be on the lake?

Anybody actually catching anything out on the big pond or is it just bottle bass...I haven't been out there in a couple weeks but in about 2 hours from now I will be on my way out...not really sure of where to set up though...sounds like the eyes are slow, sunfish are small, and crappies seem to be dormat. Any general area advice for a spot to set up so my bobber goes down at least once would be helpful...Thanks!

Chad

[quote name='Big Dave2

Hey Tom' date='

Did you get your window or whatever was broke in your house fixed? Are you still leaving your house out or are you pulling it off every time?

Any Crappies in that shallow? [/quote']

Yup took me longer to clean up the glass than fix the window. lol I have been pulling it back and forth but mainly due to changing spots etc. I guess I have just started thinking of it as a boat. grin Only two small crappies caught in the shallow water.

You gonna be out at all this weekend? I am trying to decide whether to give Waconia another try or head up to The Horseshoe chain for the day on Sat.

Just wondering if the crappie bite is doing ok out on Waconia. Haven't seen to many posts about it on this thread. I haven't been out in about 2 weeks but have Friday and the weekend off and want to get out. Don't need any specific spots (but will take them if given) just want to know if they are still biting and any size to them.

Dave,

Not sure if I will be out there this weekend or not. Might have to hit the river on Saturday and enjoy the beautiful weather outside. grin

I was out last night was a very slow bite. Had lookers or they would just pop it and run but the night before I did okay so I'm not sure if it the wind, cold or high pressure last night.

IDK yet my dad my stay out there all night with me.

Hey buck are the walleyes still biting in the harbor?? If not, have they moved deeper yet??

Wonder how the fishing will be with the snowmobile racing and radar runs going on this weekend. Anyone know where on the lake they plan on hosting it?

Wonder how the fishing will be with the snowmobile racing and radar runs going on this weekend. Anyone know where on the lake they plan on hosting it?

Its going to be held down by the beach area, which is south of Anderson s Reef

I GOT A WALLEYE... broke my one week losing streak and got about a 11 or 12 inch walleye last night. anyone having better luck?

I GOT A WALLEYE... broke my one week losing streak and got about a 11 or 12 inch walleye last night. anyone having better luck?

Good going Buckkiller! My buddy and I pounded them last night at one point we had a triple going in the house.

From 6am until noon I Fished off of Pillsbury in about 25FOW. Kept a limit of 9 to 10" crappies and 1 10" perch. Even spyed a nice muskie cruising past the camera lens. I couldn't turn him around though. The bite was pretty consistent between about 7 and 10; actually better than I was expecting. Most fish hit pretty light though. My fish cam helped a ton! Anyone else have any luck this morning on Wac??

Saturday I went out with a couple buds and we caught some decent gills and crappies. Depth was key. If you were in 11 FOW you would get perch, but move up to 9 FOW and bingo!

Drive over to Minnetonka for pike. Set up on the weedline about 10ft. Try jigging for sunnies before setting out tipups etc. if you aren't catching any in 10 minutes pike aren't likely to be there so move until you start catching them. I'd try Phelps or Carson's bays but almost every weedline in Minnetonka has pike roaming it.

I got 5 of us out on Carson's on saturday afternoon, from about 1:30pm to sundown. We caught exactly 1 perch (which means 0 pike). I didn't follow directions, I guess. We stayed in the same spot all day, even though we only caught a small perch. I guess I just kept hoping that the tide would turn. (There were some other tip-ups in the neighborhood, so thats how I decided where to place us, figured it couldn't be all bad if others were there too)

Our approximate location was....

(44.927639 -93.526236)

I'd post the link, but....

Is there anything patently wrong with our position? The only information I have about 'finding pike' comes from some old-timers which I've never seen confirmed specifically anywhere. So I'm still trying to learn the most basic rudiments of this sport.

Thanks for reading!

B.

I would guess the fact that you only got a perch is the reason you didnt find pike. I think pike's main prey is sunnys, so you will need to find a big school of them and then throw tipups on the deeper edege of the school of sunnys. Like stated above, find the sunnies first, they are in many many 10fow locations, and then put your tip ups from that depth to deeper depths until you get a flag to fly.

Hmm...I see how that would make sense.

I guess that I/we were just being lazy. I was more worried about getting all the lines in the water, than with locating the sunny's first. Especially considering my usual luck with fishing (on the poorer side of awful, usually), it would seem that my odds of finding a school of sunny's would keep the rest of the gang from fishing at all, while we were constantly moving around, trying to find them. I guess thats the way the game is played.

The only thing is, when we went out with the old timers, we went directly to a spot, and stayed there all day, without jigging for sunnies at all. I suppose this is a spot that they just know is likely to be good habitat. On the other hand, we didn't do ALL that good out then either....:)

Any other advice? Especially in regard to pike fishing on Waconia?

So today i started to surf the web and came across these fish house rentals on waconia, that i found on [YouNeedAuthorization]. just wondering if anyone has fished out of these houses and had any luck? or if they heard good/bad things about these? I have some friends of the family coming from out of state and i cant fit them all in my 6x8 house and would love to rent one but dont want to get screwed out of my money if you know what i mean!

Not sure about the ones you are talkin about as the link is blocked. But I know In-Towne rents houses and I am sure they are reasonable. They also rent cameras which would be a wise investment if you plan on targeting sunfish.

Waconia is tough for pike, but if you do find them they are usually bigger. Low numbers but good size in that lake.