• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waconia Fishing

Waylon&Willy

I have fished the lake many many yrs, and have seen the decline in the quality of fishing, and when some decides to speak there mind all you want to do criticize them.

Seems last week when someone spoke their mind, you jumped right on them whistlesmile

Are your saying out of those many, many, many, many years of fishing Waconia, you never kept one fish your self confused

I say leave it up to the professionally trained DNR and get back to the fishing reports smile Fish smarter! It is funny how some pull fish out of a lake on regular basis (nice ones also), but yet some cry "the sky is falling" when they can not find fish they would like to catch out of the same lake.

smile

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BuckKiller

• CARVER_COUNTRY

• honda4life

• iceman1212

I fish Waconia lots during the summer. I don't eat lake fish but my girl friend loves the eyes so I will keep 1 or so a week (if I manage to get any). I'll only keep them up to 19 inches after that they all go back. Last year I was out on a Saturday and managed to catch 5 eyes. 1-15", 2-21", 1-24 and one at 28 1/2. Did CPR on all of them. Showed the pics to the GF and she asked "well where's my fish"! In the lake I told her lol. This last weekend I ened up with 3 nice sunfish and 2 perch that I cleaned her for dinner and it was just the right amount. My brother on the other hand will try to bring home his limit which is way more than he can eat so I'm like why don't just take what you can eat and not have to give away. Now that's just me I'm not syaing I'm right or wrong just what I practice. To each their own.

Quote:
Obviously you dont have the understanding of what has hapend to this lake over the last 25 yrs. I have fished the lake many many yrs, and have seen the decline in the quality of fishing, and when some decides to speak there mind all you want to do criticize them. There is good data that show about 35% of the eyes in this lake are from natural production. Its not arm chair biology, its common sense. I am not looking for a trophy lake, but a more balanced lake.

Where do you get your data from? The DNR website states that in the last survey (2006) The amount of sampled walleye that derived from natural reproduction was 22.5%

Here i will post it again

Does anyone know what happened to the weeds this year? Has anyone came across the mossy millfoil this year like i have? What causes that?

also whats up with all the "curly leaf" (i think that is what it is? only comes up off the bottom like 12-18 inches) Seems like you cant find a good weedline from milfoil to clear bottom like you could in the last couple years

Just wondering

Does anyone know what happened to the weeds this year? Has anyone came across the mossy millfoil this year like i have? What causes that?

also whats up with all the "curly leaf" (i think that is what it is? only comes up off the bottom like 12-18 inches) Seems like you cant find a good weedline from milfoil to clear bottom like you could in the last couple years

Just wondering

I have noticed the same thing! Its seems like the "curly leaf" is taking over most of the lake!

Just got home and had a great night out on the lake. iced probly 20-30 nice crappies and had 2 walleyes that were to small to keep but hey they cant all be nice!

hi chris larry here dont know if Ill be coming to your get together on waconia today which is sunday because was helping that farmer yesterday and was doing alot of lifting and my back is kind of sore so I might or might not be out there today have to see maybe some other time nothing else sorry

Hey you missed a great time, but I understand with the whole back thing, by the way their is a post entitled metro GTG is set.

Originally Posted By: CARVER_COUNTRY

Just wondering

I have noticed the same thing! Its seems like the "curly leaf" is taking over most of the lake!

Not exactly sure what causes it exactly, but this is the same kind of thing that happened on Lake George up north of Anoka. Used to be able to find nice, clearly defined lines. Now the entire lake is like one giant weed bed. That invasive milfoil is a SOB to get rid of, too. Hopefully they don't further pollute any of the metro area lakes by dumping thousands and thousands of pounds of chemicals to try and kill the stuff off. It's just like any other population chart: When the capacity skyrockets above its sustainable cap, there will be a huge, natural kill-off. Once that happens the lake can get back to regulating itself, assuming FISHER-PEOPLE and RECREATIONAL BOATERS can BE RESPONSIBLE and clean their watercraft off after pulling them from the water! Just my slightly educated 2¢....

how can you tell if they are natural reproduced fish vs a stocked fish?

If you pull a fish up the hole and he smiles at you, its a pretty good sign their is natural reproducing happening in the lake.

The fishing pressure on Metro lakes is high and will continue to be so. Nothing will change that. While CPR is preferred by most on this site, we will not allow bashing of any one who keeps legal fish. The DNR will manage the lakes according to their policies and gudielines. You can have some affect on this by contacting your local state representatives and your local DNR office. This site is about providing info for fellow fishermen - no bashing or sniping. Enough said. Back to reports, organizing GTGs and the usual stories of augers not starting, cell phones going down the hole and other weird things that happen while fishing.

The fishing pressure on Metro lakes is high and will continue to be so. Nothing will change that. While CPR is preferred by most on this site, we will not allow bashing of any one who keeps legal fish. The DNR will manage the lakes according to their policies and gudielines. You can have some affect on this by contacting your local state representatives and your local DNR office. This site is about providing info for fellow fishermen - no bashing or sniping. Enough said. Back to reports, organizing GTGs and the usual stories of augers not starting, cell phones going down the hole and other weird things

that happen while fishing.

Thanks alot Mark for clarifying this,thats what I was trying to say

Originally Posted By: Ice-King
Originally Posted By: CARVER_COUNTRY

Just wondering

I wonder what BuckKiller thinks he fishs out their a lot.

ha yea, it seems like he spends more time on the computer than on the ice!!

lol I can't be out there every second of every day although Id like to.

ever been to Bald Eagle anyone??? remember this???

PLEASE PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE!

I find it to be true that the amount of fishes in the lakes are decreasing. It just comes down to respect as one fishermen to another that if they're undersized, than don't keep em and take what your gonna eat. I've heard personally and have seen with my own two eyes people going to Devil's lake in (I think) S. Dakota and bringing back 4-5 coolers full of White bass...I always get a kick out of it cause they stick those fishes in freezers and are never seen again upset for when they're no good and are thrown into the trash for more freezer space...so why would people keep taking so much??? I'm also wondering the same...

I find it to be true that the amount of fishes in the lakes are decreasing. It just comes down to respect as one fishermen to another that if they're undersized, than don't keep em and take what your gonna eat. I've heard personally and have seen with my own two eyes people going to Devil's lake in (I think) S. Dakota and bringing back 4-5 coolers full of White bass...I always get a kick out of it cause they stick those fishes in freezers and are never seen again upset for when they're no good and are thrown into the trash for more freezer space...so why would people keep taking so much??? I'm also wondering the same...

I hate to keep this thread off topic, but ima throw this out there...

My belief on the topic is that since the number of fish being caught is declining (I don't think anyone would argue that around the metro) people are keeping whatever they can get, instead of keeping only prime-eating fish and throwing the marginal ones back. I remember we used to go out and catch walleye after walleye, keeping only those around 18-20". We were able to pick and choose because we'd actually catch more than 1 per hour. With numbers declining, people are more and more apt to keep ANY legal fish (and some illegal, you [PoorWordUsage] SOB's), just so they have something to go home with. My wife gets slightly agitated because I'll spend a whole summer day out bass fishing and come home with nothing more than an empty gas tank on the boat and ripped up thumbs from taking so many fish off the line. Occasionally I'll bring home a couple 2-3 pounders for a meal, but I'd much rather be out there every day catching fish and throwing them back than to be out there and not get a single one on the line.

HOWEVER, I do believe that people are entitled to keep any fish they want within the legal limit/size. It is not up to me to force my fishing habits on others, nor do I expect them to try and sway me into keeping fish that I choose to throw back. If I catch it, it's up to me. If you catch it, it's up to you. Let's all realize that people's opinions differ greatly on the issue and no one should be put down for voicing their opinion or exercising their right to keep fish that they catch. The best thing anyone can do is to practice their own personal ethics.

Originally Posted By: tnm27

My belief on the topic is that since the number of fish being caught is declining (I don't think anyone would argue that around the metro) people are keeping whatever they can get, instead of keeping only prime-eating fish and throwing the marginal ones back. I remember we used to go out and catch walleye after walleye, keeping only those around 18-20". We were able to pick and choose because we'd actually catch more than 1 per hour. With numbers declining, people are more and more apt to keep ANY legal fish (and some illegal, you [PoorWordUsage] SOB's), just so they have something to go home with. My wife gets slightly agitated because I'll spend a whole summer day out bass fishing and come home with nothing more than an empty gas tank on the boat and ripped up thumbs from taking so many fish off the line. Occasionally I'll bring home a couple 2-3 pounders for a meal, but I'd much rather be out there every day catching fish and throwing them back than to be out there and not get a single one on the line.

HOWEVER, I do believe that people are entitled to keep any fish they want within the legal limit/size. It is not up to me to force my fishing habits on others, nor do I expect them to try and sway me into keeping fish that I choose to throw back. If I catch it, it's up to me. If you catch it, it's up to you. Let's all realize that people's opinions differ greatly on the issue and no one should be put down for voicing their opinion or exercising their right to keep fish that they catch. The best thing anyone can do is to practice their own personal ethics.

totally agree!

Any reports?

I might venture out this weekend. Last weekend all that was caught were those 6" perch in anywhere from 10-30 fow.

Find some good thick millfoil anywhere form 7-12 feet of water on the west side of the lake and you should be able to catch some sunfish and a few crappies in between

Has anyone been getting any pike? I was out yesterday with a couple tip-ups...no luck. Heading out tommorow to try the same. I hear center reef has been producing in about 12 fow but I'd like to find an area a little less populated.

Originally Posted By: tnm27

Couldn't of said it better myself Jason

Any reports?

I might venture out this weekend. Last weekend all that was caught were those 6" perch in anywhere from 10-30 fow.

If all your getting is perch I would move, your going to find more sunnies where their are no perch.

hey BUCK i couldnt catch a fish to save my live today marked them but no takers ... well i did miss two when i was texting on the phone!! stupid stupid! Did you guys have the afternoon bite come through for you? Well low wind and sun today can't complain to much when your on the lake and not at work. Oh yah congrats on the new house very nice!