• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waconia Fishing

Waylon&Willy

I don't know Waconia very well, been out there about 4 times this year, setting up on the same spot, first two times I did great, but the last two times I did poorly...saturday tons of tiny perch, (one nice one from my son, Lucas, and just a handful of crappies and sunnies. I had been going off a Lakemap map of Waconia, which isn't the best, so I bought a Lakemaster map fron In-Towne and discovered I was west of Pilsbury by quite a bit on a reletavely flat piece of structure. So next time I get out on thursday I should be able to get onto the spot I want. Very disorienting the first few times out. Can you find #'s of sunnie action during the day or is it usually all perch until late afternoon?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BuckKiller

• CARVER_COUNTRY

• honda4life

• iceman1212

As I have said before and it is still holding true at least yesterday it did. Find 10 feet of water with some weeds that are still standing up not laid over and dead, and you should find some sunfish. A camera will really help out especially while fishing them as they are in the weeds and finicky. I havent been getting a ton but enough for a meal every time out. By the way I have seen very few perch in this area so if you are catching perch try moving.

friday night i got skunked, did manage to catch a nice buzz tho! crazy as for buckkiller I think he pulled all the fish out of the lake and is heading to whaletail? who knows?? anyone else have any luck?

Maybe Whaletail is producing fish? By looking at Carver Country's signature there must be some big Pike out there! Don't rape the lake Buckkiller!

Dale, does it really take 9" to make 8 ounces?

Got to love the rain huh! Just hope the access dont get too bad before i have to haul off the ole shanty, i dont want her to break!

access on whakletail already has water standing cuz of us contest fisherman,when we went out of saturday for the contest it already broke and i didt brake it.But had fun at the contest though.

Been on some sunnys for a couple days on conia, they are IN the weeds, mixed with perch and few crappies. Camera does help locate these spots, it took some switching to get them to bite. We are in about 10 fow with standing weeds, any deeper and its all perch, any shallower its all sunnys, we are on the "edge" of species.

Saw 2 pike on the camera this weekend come examine our minnows but wouldnt take! Anyone got any ideas how to get them to bite?

access on whakletail already has water standing cuz of us contest fisherman,when we went out of saturday for the contest it already broke and i didt brake it.But had fun at the contest though.

Hey sorry for the confusion but i was talking about waconia! But thanks for the update on Whaletail! i dont fish it too much in the winter more in the summer.

you do know there are huge crappies on whaletail, fished it 4 weeks ago and came up with some 1-2 pounders just off the channel, but yet hea over to the rocky point and the northerns are killers to,also known as dexter to the locas, non locals its just whaletail.also a buddy of mine caught a 4 puder out there took state record but yet a week later someone broke that to.

Hey Ice sulton

Thanks for the help. i am going to have to buy a map from in town marina. I have no clue where pillsbury is at. I kind of fish now and then. and lake to lake but I think i am going to stay on waconia and figure it out better and fish it more. are you seeing any crapppies. or is it just sunnies for now. I am assuming they are bitting on wax worms and not minnows. any certain colors. I am using tear drops all different colors. Thanks for the help again.

Brad duenow

1-320-510-1349

[email protected]

Brad, the guys at the Marina will be able to help you out. Crappies have turned on a bit better in the hole south of Pillsbury. Mainly a crappie spot over there. Sunnies are biting waxies and crappies are biting crappie minnows. Just stop in at the Marina and they will answer any questions you may have.

Buck Killer was out all last night a caught 20 or so crappie keeping only 8, no walleye. He did get 2 walleye on Saturday

Welcome to FM BK's dad. well its sure nice of you to report for buck killer sence we havent heard from him in a long time! Well its Nice to hear he is still kicking and still fishing!

Has anyone been doing any good for crappies this year? its seems like it is hit or miss every time i go out. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be fantastic!

Thanks

whats the ice conditions still thick, i know the snow is gone from back yard and thts 2 ft of snow gone , down to grass, someone plz cover it up reminds me of mowing lawn., Is it 2 ft o better?

Just got off the lake and if you have a fish house out there i would suggest you go out there and block it up some more or pull it off the lake. Alot of water around fishhouses that have had big snow drifts around them and now there is a possibility of these houses freezing in. Just a heads up!

There is still plenty of ice but if you plan on fishing in the next couple days hope your wearing 100% water proof boots

Originally Posted By: B K'S DAD
He should be back on the post in early march

march 2 and 10:20 to be exact.

May i ask why? Is he on vacation? I miss the reports he was giving, he was the go to guy for walleyes.

Brad, the guys at the Marina will be able to help you out. Crappies have turned on a bit better in the hole south of Pillsbury. Mainly a crappie spot over there. Sunnies are biting waxies and crappies are biting crappie minnows. Just stop in at the Marina and they will answer any questions you may have.

Ice Sultan, how deep does that hole get off pillsberry? I was sitting on "east center" before I pulled house the to shore today. I never did real well out there so its time for new spot. I want to catch some crappies when I pull it back out when it freezes up again. What depth should I be looking for these crappies? Do they normally move deeper on waconia later in the season?

Jimmy, The crappies have been bitting ok in the "crappie hole" a ton of small 5-6 inch fish and if you get the schools of nicer fish to bite when they come in you can get a batch for dinner. They are anywhere from 17 ft out to 24 feet which is the deepest part out their that is stated on my lakemaster chip. They move around the deep bowl all the time so you just needed to find the active school. They have been hitting minows on plain hooks and a float or glow northland jigging spons with waxies or minows. It has tons of houses in that area so I would explore other deep holes around the lake. If u have a camera punch a bunch of holes in other deep water around the lake and If you see one crappy , they will all be their. Good Luck out their. They usually move out deeper around the end of Jan and stay their until ice out.

Hey JimmyRig, There is also a area in wagners bay that gets to 24' i saw on the lake master. i fished in that area a few years ago but it was hit or miss. but every year is different. so if you want to get away from the crowd give that a shot.

I believe that 24' spot in wagners is what they are talking about, I believe that is just south/west of pillsbury and is where the giant city always starts, it has spread and is hard to pinpoint now but shouldnt be too hard. We had great luck there early in the season in 16fow on the edge of the bowl, havnt been back though, hunting bigger species these days while I still can.

Speaking of big fish, went out last night to move the house off holes and block it up and man my cousing lost a HUGE fish. 545 as it was getting dark, almost lost his pole. Fought the fish for a minute and didnt gain any line even with his drag really tight, I tried to loosen it as he was fighting but I didnt loosen enough and the hook popped out finally. I dont think I have ever seen a pole bend that hard through the ice! Have seen pike in the area earlier in the daytime but this was real close to dark so walleye alwasy crosses my mine, if it was I cant imagine how big it was. We have gotten eyes in the same area at sunset.

i just wanted to take this time to say thank you to everyone on this site. you could just give me some [PoorWordUsage] info and say there goes a rookie fisherman. but you dont. I am not sure when me and my son will get out again.

how is the landing by the marina is it still drivable or not. I beleive I have fished wagners bay before. I will stop in and get a map and see what happens. anyways thanks again.

Brad Duenow