• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Slurpie...you could use Sacks(pay access) or Sherrif's Landing (just down from Sacks on the hwy). You could go down to the Lake Association access past Priest's Pt and then come back around as well...depending on where you wanted to go out there. Lake Association access is free to people that have a $30 Lake Assoc. membership. You can get the membership and sticker at Fish On or whoever else has them.

Fish On!

best sunfishing in the lake is away from the group and stay in your house dont hole hop as you will get surrounded by people.

I for one really enjoy your GREAT reports Landdr! You always have the most up to date info on the lake and I feel your reports are honest and spot on. Every time I have been in your shop you have pointed me in the right direction.

I have not been there this year yet, but I hopefully will try it soon!

Thanks again for your great reports and I will be sure to give you my business when I visit Glenwood. laugh

Set up on school house in about 13 feet with scattered weeds no eyes yet. Not looking for spots first time trying the lake for eyes, is that a good depth or what should we be looking for?

The walleyes only hang out with the 10" bluegills on this lake.

Ha, sorry had to do it!!

Seriously like most people say on here get away from the crowds.I did real good last weekend in 18.5 ft not far from where you are now.Caught a limit of 17-18" in about two hours. Had to wait for the northerns to go to bed before I caught any.

Like the Lund guy said talk to the Landdr and spend some money.

If Doyle wasn't a personal friend I would get all my bait in town.

I drilled probably 30 to 50 holes in transects across weedlines before I found the fish. If I was fishing were I fished last year...I wouldn't be catching much. I always stress to people to do a little scouting first...otherwise you could spend a lot of time with the "good stick" in the water not catching anything.

Fish On!

Landdr, after drilling the 30-50 holes, how do you decide which ones to fish in? Are you looking for weeds or do you keep drilling until you see fish? Are you dropping a camera down? Or using your depth finder to 'see' fish?

Thanks!! Thinking about coming up on Sat and would be nice to be 'scientific' about finding a spot vs just plopping the house down.

Well we fished all over the lake today, and went through a tank of gas doing yet, but the bluegills would not cooperate today!

Slurpie...sorry I missed your post. I was out of the store for most of the day. On School Bars I usually get out to 18-20 fow. Water levels are different right now so that may change that depth but there are some things I look for. I feel walleyes are a lot like deer in that they follow contours when they travel...not always but most of the time. So I look for areas where contours either converge or get "hooked" on a curve or run up a draw. Just like deer trails...I consider these "walleye trails". There are several of these out on School Bars as well as other parts of the lake. There are also "pockets" within weed beds if you can find them...pretty much need a camera to locate them...but Waska has a lot of "weed walleyes" and these can be great spots. I also have been seeing a lot of walleyes in 7 fow when I have been looking around for panfish. I would suspect these fish are targeting the really small panfish and shiners. So how did you do?

Thanks LundPro...greatly appreciated. I appreciate the business also...but in reality the bait shop is not my livelihood...I have PLM that is my livelihood and the bait shop is more like fun and to provide opportunity for people visiting. BUT I DO LOVE TO FISH!! grin

Black Jack...I fish in the one I find the fish in. grin I might drill 30 holes and not see a fish or just see a few...so I keep drilling until I find something that resembles the Cabela's aquarium...then I fish. I use my underwater camera to locate the fish. There are some weed lines I check as well as some flats. I will drill 10 or so holes across a transect and then go back and drop the camera down each one. By doing that I will see the changes in depth, weed lines or flats to see where the fish are hanging out at. Sometimes I find them in tight with the weeds and other times I have found them out roaming around on flats. Not sure why they are in the flats but I suspect they might be targeting a food source such as bloodworms or something. I don't go out in the day without my camera...and I don't fish at night without my flasher...but I never use my flasher during the day.

Whitefreak...I set up two groups yesterday and they did very well. I am not sure where you were at...did you see fish on the camera but they just wouldn't bite...or did you just not find fish? I went two days a couple of weeks ago when I couldn't find them...but then found them and the fishing has been great. I did notice they moved about 50 yards yesterday so I had to do a little searching but got on them right away again.

Thanks for the posts!

Fish On!

I saw a lot of walleyes in 7fow while spearing during christmas, pretty neat to have a 3 pound walleye chase the chub around.

landdr we got one eight inch walleye some others came through after dark but no biters. Will hopefully get back up there next week again.

Black Jack... I don't go out in the day without my camera...and I don't fish at night without my flasher...but I never use my flasher during the day.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Curious about that last quote, if you're not using your flasher during the day, what are you using?? Spring bobber or is your camera set up close enough to see your bait?

Blackjack...I only use my camera during the day. First to locate the fish as well as view the structure. Then to set depth, observe fish behavior and then develop the technique that works the best.

I do have a spring bobber on the end just in case I raise the bait higher than the camera or if other fish get in the way and I can't see what's going on.

Yes...most of my houses have additional holes for cameras so each person fishing a hole has another hole for the camera. In that way you don't use holes that you would otherwise want to have for fishing. For example, my house has 12 holes...6 for fishing in and 6 for cameras if everyone fishing wanted to use a camera. Usually only two or three people are using a camera so not all of the camera holes are being used.

Fish On!

In seven feet it was a little cloudy, but with the decoys halfway down it was easy to see the northerns. Best day I saw five in 2 hours, morning seemed to be best, but I haven't been there for a week now.

Yes...most of my houses have additional holes for cameras so each person fishing a hole has another hole for the camera. In that way you don't use holes that you would otherwise want to have for fishing. For example, my house has 12 holes...6 for fishing in and 6 for cameras if everyone fishing wanted to use a camera. Usually only two or three people are using a camera so not all of the camera holes are being used.

Fish On!

Duh, why didn't I think of that - put extra holes in!! The holes in my Ice castle are far enough apart where I can see the sunfish but its tough to see your bait.

May take off early and head up to Minnewaska today, maybe I'll see you at your shop!! Would like to talk pheasant habitat with you sometime...

Hey Landdr, what is your email I have few ice fishing and spearing questions for you and would like some advice on some food plot or wildlife land management questions/concerns if I could run past you if you have some time??? Thanks Bluegill!

Blackjack...make sure you look at your cross frame under the house to see where you can put in extra holes. I am sure you already knew that but just reminding you.

Bluegill... [email protected] or [email protected]

I am heading out in an hour or so and gone for the weekend...our son made the Alexandria Aces so they have a performance in Nebraska that we are going to. Pretty cool to watch if you ever get the chance. These kids are from 5 to 12 years old and demonstrate all sorts of basketball tricks.

I just set up one of my rentals and there were fish all over the camera...so they are still there! smile

Fish On!

Headed out there with the kids, and some other non skilled fisherman. Just want to catch some fish... Any advice? Was planning on using dnr access on north end. Any suggestions on areas? I think we'll be doing a lot of bobber fishing, not real serious.

Just head out from the landing with all the other houses. 16-17 feet for panfish. The bite has been finicky at times so bobber fishing may not be the best.

Finicky is certainly a good word! My daughter and I spent about 2.5 hrs. on the ice starting at 10 a.m. this morning. We started in 10 FOW south of the group off of the ballroom. As I was setting up the ice house she got to pull in a 3 lb. northern that hit a small feather jig with red wigglers. Then we set up there. Had a few fish come through on the Vexilar that would look at the baits then take off without a touch. We moved into the north side of the town off of the ballroom. 16 FOW, lots of looks, I switched up various jigs, various presentation methods, and nothing. Plenty of fish down there, but they just wouldn't bite. I talked to a few guys that had half a dozen or less nice bluegills - definitely an 8" average that I saw, but not lots of them. It was still fun to spend time with my 7 y/o daughter and listen to how she sees the world and the wonder of ice-fishing. Quite an imagination on that one!

It was still fun to spend time with my 7 y/o daughter and listen to how she sees the world and the wonder of ice-fishing. Quite an imagination on that one!

And that's all that really matters. Catching fish would have just been a bonus is all at that point. They grow up to fast, enjoy the innocence and imagination while they are young.

Made the run up to Glenwood and Minnewaska Friday afternoon, after a stop at Fish On to get some bait, got on the lake via the DNR access, about 3:30. I refuse to join the crowds so drove by a couple of the big groups, angling toward the big group farther west, following a break line. Stopped and talked to a couple of young guys, they were having some luck on some sunnies and a few crappies, drove on about 100 yards and drilled about 10 holes in a line across the break. Tried to follow Landr's advice, stuck the camera down each hole looking for fish - nothing to see.

About to move on and saw the other guys leaving so went over there, holes all over the ice so set the house down and started fishing. Caught two sunnies right away - then nothing. Went out and hole hopped for awhile but the sun was going down, wishing I was there earlier, but went and rigged up some lines with minnows, caught two crappie and then they shut down too. Stayed the night in the house, relaxed, cooked supper, drank beer, rigged up some lines for sunfish. Had lines down all night but no action.

Got up early Sat morning but didn't get a bite until about 7:30 when I caught a couple of crappies and a bass. Never did catch a sunfish. Could see fish on the camera, a couple walleyes, crappies, sunfish, bass, but couldn't get them to bite. Even had a couple different two guys groups show up, drill holes around me (must be a popular spot) and then they left. Fish just weren't biting.

Left the ice about 11, wish I could have stayed longer. Overall had a good time. Was amazed at the activity on the lake. Was out hole hopping at about 8 and you could hear augers running all over. Leaving the lake, driving by the fish house towns, was amazed how close they were together - hope they're good friends!!

Amazing lake!! I'll be back!!

I was out of town for the weekend so I didn't get a chance to fish. I heard that the fish were there but didn't want to bite. I am not sure if there was a change in pressure or what...usually that causes it. I heard Friday was pretty good but Saturday the fish would just look at the bait.

Fish On!

Went up Sunday and had some decent luck with sunnies and crappies. Got a bonus walleye and pike too. 10 fow. Wow were the panfish biting light, couldnt see the spring bobber move so had to switch to feeling by hand.

Landdr, how low is the lake this year? My chip seems about 2ft off.

I tried crappies for about an hour yesterday afternoon in front of the dnr access with only a couple takes.

Went out about 1/2 mile and found a nice inside turn in about 17' and ended up keeping 4 17" walleyes. Also I have never seen so many small mouth bass, I think I caught a dozen.

Like I said earlier I stay away from houses and seem to find them, but I heard someone got 28" walleye in the big group west of the dnr access.

I have heard others say it is about 2ft low...that is what I would guess as well. Might be some others on here that could provide a more exact report.

There have been some really nice walleyes caught...and thrown back from what I hear. I heard a couple 30 inchers caught already. A lot of small eyes and that is great to hear...but a lot of eaters also.

The inside turns are one of my favorites! smile

Fish On!

I have not seen an ice report for a few days...what is the latest? I plan on bringing the little guy up this weekend for an overnighter and want to make sure we are OK.

LANDR- are you around this weekend? looking for some insight. Also I am looking for a place to park a 15' wheelhouse during the week. I plan on making it up there for the next 6 weeks straight. Any ideas on who to contact?

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions