• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

my transducer is set from the top of ice level.. I will be back, this time with a vengeance!! mawhahahaha!!

From the top of the ice? If so you probably werent getting a correct reading.

Do I have to come up there and show you how it's done? j/k

More snow...yippeeee!

Luckily we didn't get the 12 inches they were talking about...that stayed more out west...and they can have it. I would say that we got arouond 3 inches here but a lot of blowing and drifting.

The landing off The Beach has been maintained by a few good souls with snow plows and was in really great shape...plowed right down to the ice and nice traveling.

I brought one of my PLM tractors in from Sedan and we will be maintaining the Lakeside Ballroom landing (on the north side of hte ballroom) as well as plowing out a trail out to Crappie Town and maybe out in front of Lakeside on the Bar. There was someone plowing a road out to the Bar to their fish house but we will open it up if they have not already. Give us a few hours and everything should be open and nice to get around.

I am seeing some 20 degree forcasts for next week! Heat wave!

Go Vikes!

Fish On!

Well...it took some do'in but the 6110 has not gone through the ice yet.

We have a really nice road plowed out to Crappie Town from the Lakeside landing...don't even need 4WD.

We will keep the tractor at the bait shop to help people move houses in and out if needed. There are plenty of open spots for houses that have been kept open by the wind and not drifted in. We will keep the road open to make sure people can get in and out.

Fish On!

Do you have a general location to "crappie town"?

Where is it in location to the DNR landing?

GPS Cords.?

Thinking of coming up there on Thursday.

yeah crapie town is pretty HARD TO MISS. look for the couple hundred houses on the north side. hey eyehunter can you drive to minneapolis and pick me up so i can go fishing today? haha jus tplayin guys.

I think I'll hang around awhile and check the other reports as well. Thanks to all posting positive fish reports.

Koonie anytime you wanna go feel free to tag along,, kinda boring fishing by oneself after 35 yrs!! lol

Easy to get to Crappie Town and points beyond...just hop on the access on the north side of Lakeside and take the road to the right...it goes right out there (free road). The road is so nice and clean...it is just fun to drive on!

Fish On!

Landdr do you own/manage/work at the bait shop? I am looking to make a trip up there this weekend and many area reports seem grim, except for Minnewaska. Osakis for instance; tons of snow/slush and rough travel opportunity. I don't know much about the area or lake and would be coming up with a wheel house looking to stay a couple nights on the lake. Can I contact you or a resort in the area to get some information?

Dubleaa

Own/manage/work/clean/pay-for/janitor and CEO...

I have seen those reports as well from other lakes. We had a lot of snow but a couple of weeks ago we had that one day of warm weather that really took the snow down...so we have not had those bad snow depths as of yet. You can still get stuck on Waska if you venture out of the trails and roads...but the new road that we put in from Lakeside to Crappie Town is wide and clean. I have not seen any slush in that area either. If you park your fish house in a snow bank and drill holes...you will probably have a few inches of water come up...so...find a nice open spot to set up in and then bring snow over to bank the house. Then you will be fine.

I will be around and have a map (free) at the store that I can give you some directions on as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Beautiful day out here today with even a little melt off the roof! Gotta like that! The forecast looks really good for the week and weekend.

See you then!

Fish On!

Thanks Landdr! Our group will be coming up in waves starting Thursday afternoon/evening through Friday night to spend the weekend. We will definitely stop by and support your business in exchange for some trained minnows and location advise! laugh

Fish On!

Just located two blocks south of the stop lights in Glenwood.

Really a nice day out here today with current temps at 23F.

Still getting some reports from off the Beach for 3 to 4 walleyes...some bites in the morning and some in the evening. Not jumping in the fry'n pan but enough to keep it interesting.

Had some good reports on walleyes out from Lakeside Ballroom yesterday...mostly on sucker minnows. A few crappies as well...not usually were I would fish for crappies but...

Sunny bite is steady out in Crappie Town. My parents are still reporting 2 to a pound with some slightly smaller with a few crappies being caught as well. 13.5 to 14 feet.

Good reports from Bottle Bay as well for sunnies and crappies. A few coming in with poorer reports but just have to move around to find more active fish and/or a weed clump they might be setting up on.

The new road we put in out from Lakeside to Crappie Town is working out well for folks...no problems getting on and off the lake. Weather looks nice all the way through the weekend!

Fish On!

We caught some dandy fish on the Starbuck side of waska last weekend in front of the beach house in 22' of water. The crappies were hot in the evening with the eyes hitting early in the morning. Three of us got limits of nice crappies and some real stud walleyes!!! We will be hitting up the same area this weekend, we have a frabil trekker 3 man.

th_waskaslabs.jpg

th_waskawalleyes1309.jpg

Nice Catch!

I'll take that over that guy down in Mazatlan Mexico any day!

I just got 10 gallons of Freshwater Shrimp in the store today and would like you to try some on the crappies to see what they do. If you would like...stop by and I will give you a scoop and let me know what they do.

Fish On!

landdr Im comin up this weekend, Are you gunna steer me in the right direction this time?? lol. j/k but i will stop in 4 more bait..

Not sure where you get your weather report from, but this weekend is not looking good at all. Snow/rain mix Friday, high winds Saturday and more snow Sunday. Enough with the snow already!! Hopefully the report you see is more accurate then the one I'm looking at.

KT

you are going to kill that lake!! Just kiddin we both know there are not any fish in waska or roosters in Pope county.

Dan

Landdr-- My buddy and I were thinking of coming up this weekend with his wheelhouse and fishing saturday during the day, stay the night and then leave sunday morning sometime. Is there any night bite going on for eyes or crappies?? We would like to just set the house down and hope for some gills during the day and some crappie or walleye at night in the same spot? It will probably be a last minute decision if we come or not... any thoughts? thanks!

I didn't post the report with the photos of all the fish! smile I don't even know what is going on in Starbuck except a bunch of my norweigan relatives (Aabergs, Thompsons, Petersons, Braatens, etc., etc.). smile

Weather report...wunderground.com for zip code 56334. All during the week we have mild weather...decent temps and low winds. Friday is forcasted at 50% chance of snow with 1 mph winds out of the south at noon. I'll take that any day. Something kinda romantic about little snow flakes coming down around me as I am catching fish with a warm 1 mph south breeze in my face (some of that Mazatlan breeze and heat coming up). Saturday things turn to the WNW up to 13 mph with the temps lower...but it will still be 65F and calm in the fish house. Sunday back up to 11F with a mild breeze out of the south to start turning to 5 to 6 mph out of the NW...still a beautiful day! smile

We all know that a 7 day forcast is right on!

Fish On!

usmtsrocks

That report from Starbuck was pretty good but I am not familiar enough with that side of the lake...except in the summer and fall when I night fish over there.

It is hard to find everything in one spot. I had a fella in yesterday that did REALLY well on walleyes out from Lakeside and even caught a half dozen crappies...not bad but again I don't consider that a crappie spot. Crappie town is the most diverse spot along with Bottle Bay.

HOWEVER...fella just in a few minutes ago said the landings along Bottle Bay are getting pretty beat up and some water standing now. I would expect that it get a little worse with the nicer days through the week. Still good ice there and I don't perceive any problems...just messy.

The Lakeside landing that we fixed up is in really great shape to bring a house on and off at and it is free...take it right out to Crappie Town. I would check some holes for depths, etc. before you set up...better would be to put the camera down in several areas and then set up where it looks the best. I can get you close...you have to do the rest.

Hey Dan! Happy New Year! Is that a spearing decoy you're holding?

Fish On!

Was out today and found all of the 6-7" sunfish that I wanted to catch at crappie town. The road was in great condition but driving off the road was impossible. Wasn't able to locate any crappies but only stayed until 6, what time does the crappie bite normally start? There were several people coming on as I was leaving so i'm guessing that it is a little later?

Fished the same spot on the west side of crappie town. 14 fow.

2 nice crappies, 2 nice minnow biting gills, 2 bass(1 was 17"), 0 eyes, 0 bullheads.

I pulled my big house home. Thanks for the nice road landdr.

I think I will use the portables for a while until I find reason to bring the big house back.

For me, the crappies i've gotten have been mostly between 3-7pm, although i would not really say I have been over the fish.

Good Luck All!!! I'll be back!!!!

Fished the same spot on the west side of crappie town. 14 fow.

2 nice crappies, 2 nice minnow biting gills, 2 bass(1 was 17"), 0 eyes, 0 bullheads.

I pulled my big house home. Thanks for the nice road landdr.

I think I will use the portables for a while until I find reason to bring the big house back.

For me, the crappies i've gotten have been mostly between 3-7pm, although i would not really say I have been over the fish, at least the biters.

Good Luck All!!! I'll be back!!!!

Most catch a few crappies during the day but the crappie bite has better potential from sunset to about 8 or 9...sometimes even later.

I like getting some reports back as well so I can move my house to some hot spots too. I am will to share some spots if I can get some reports back to help myself and others...seems I work all the time right now and can't get the time on the lake like last year.

Drove the road this morning to check on it...the Lakeside Ballroom landing is in great condition as well as the road. Nice ride all the way out to Crappie town and there are actually some pretty clean open areas to set up in out there.

I have Freshwater Shrimp also that I would like some to try on the crappies and sunnies. Last year the shrimp worked out fantastic...like to see how they do this year. I hear the perch up on Millacs like the shrimp also.??

Thanks for the reports Mellonhead and gooseroller!

Fish On!

Landdr - create an account on photobucket and upload the image there. Once you have it, open a new post and use the 'enter an image' selection button to the right of the smiles button on the tool bar. Select where you want the image to appear in your post, an Explorer User Prompt will come up. Go back to photobucket and mouse over the picture you want unitl you see link options come up. Click the direct link option, copy it and then paste it into the Explorer User Promt address bar and there you have it.

Decent Eye from last year:

Osakis.jpg

Landdr,

Gotta agree that when the fish are biting, there is no place better than Minnesota. I have to say though, when the catching is slow, I don't mind being here in Mazatlan. I look forward to getting back around the end of April. Until then, you guys all enjoy the winter fishing, and I will enjoy the Sunshine and cold cerveza in Mazatlan... LOL.

Stay safe and Catch Fish!!

Luckyguy (John)

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions