• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

The public is invited to attend the weigh-ins this coming Saturday-Sunday, Sept. 12-13 for the Lake Minnewaska Fall Walleye Classic at Torgy's on Lake Minnewaska in Glenwood, MN.

This will be a great opportunity to learn more about walleye fishing on Lake Minnewaska, to see the teams weigh-in and learn the tips and tricks the teams used to catch their fish. We'll be interviewing the top 10 teams each day after the weigh-ins have concluded on the waterfront at Torgy's.

Come on out and watch the weigh-ins both days beginning at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday and at 3 p.m. on Sunday. Watch the Vikings game from Torgy's at noon on Sunday and then watch the weigh-ins immediately following the Vikings game from the Torgy's waterfront.

88 of the top teams in competitive walleye team fishing will be fishing this year's tournament with the winners going home with $7,000.

Early indications from the teams in town pre-fishing is that the fishing has been pretty good overall. Hope to see you at the weigh-ins this Saturday and Sunday.

well on sunday night I tried the night trolling bite from 8-11pm caught 1 smallie trolled 4-9FOW from beach to the Halverson point w/ silver/blue jointed floater rap and a f9 vampire floating rap--sorry guys no walleyes--hopefully next but was a beaitful nigth with a light brezze--maybe next time will be my turn to a walleye or two

good luck

Firefish...

Try the F11 Vampire next time and not jointed. Stay in 4 to 5 fow with mono or 5 to 7 with braid.

Then go from Swenson Point west thru that bay. We got a few there the other night...too calm. The nights have just been dead still with hardly a ripple on the big pond...that does not help when fishing shallow. I have rarely had a good night fishing when it was that calm. But if that is the condition, either really short line them or really long line them.

I have never caught anything along Halvorson at night...I have tried and it looks great...just no one home there.

Good luck to all the Walleye Classic boats this weekend. Weather is looking almost too nice.

Fish On!

hey lander--thnaks for the reply--we did try a F9 vampire but the jointed caught the lone fish that night

I'll have to giv eit another whirl here in sept/Oct whent eh next full moon comes out

do people troll at night when the NEW moon come sout or is it suually a full moon deal??

thanks

Aaron

I have tried the F9 and the F13...I think I have caught a few on the F13 but none on the F9. F11 seems to be the size they want or it runs at the right depth...not sure but I stick with that. Even pre-fishing for the tournament I tried the smaller and larger with no luck...but did very well with the F11.

I have been out on partial moons and even no moon...gets really dark on the lake with no moon! I have caught fish but the best bites have been when there is more light.

I didn't write down the winners and weights from the tournament so we will have to what until they are posted. Top was 17 pounds and something by two fellas from around Ottertail Co. Second I believe went to Eric and Lance Jensen out of Glenwood with 16 lb.s and something.

Top place I believe was jig and minnow all day...second I am guessing was crawlers and minnows as some time, 3rd not sure...4th was crawlers over weeds and I think many in the top 20 were crawlers over weeds.

I was doing great pre-fishing with 6 to 10 fish in a couple hours of fishing 4 days in a row...Saturday morning it all changed. We had the spot to ourselves but only caught one short walleye...amazing. We did pick up a couple nice 17s after noon but discover about an hour before weigh in that a fuse blew on the live well and all the fish were dead! Could not believe it. So the great bite we had pre-fishing did not work out and we lost the fish we had because of a 30 cent fuse. Frustrating but that is tournament fishing I guess. Second day we weighed in close to 4 lbs. of fish. It was a great tournament, ran very smoothly and Cory did a great job. If I hear more I will post it.

Fish On!

Really some nice bass caught over the weekend...of course while trying to catch walleyes. It's the "deer hunt see pheasants...pheasant hunt see deer" analogy.

Got into some great smallies from Peter's to Gandrud Beach. Early morning I think they would hit surface lures or shallow cranks in 3 to 7 fow.

Otherwise...all the weed lines around the lake in 10 to 5 fow are great options as well.

Got into a nice crappie bite on Thursday between the beach and Halvorson Pt. Actually stopped pre-fishing for walleyes and started jigging for crappies! It was a blast. Again around that 13 to 15 fow.

Got into some huge pike as well...mostly around Peter's and to Gandrud Beach. Just in the past month I have caught a 29, 34 and another one that was 10 lbs. and must have been upper 30s to maybe even 40. I wonder what some big surface lures would do in the morning there?

Fish On!

Just a bit further west of the big swim rafts and buoys on the south end (Peter's). I think the tiny bait store in Glenwood has free maps.

... and another one that was 10 lbs. and must have been upper 30s to maybe even 40. Fish On!

10 pound pike that was upwards of 40 inches?? must have been sick or starving. I'd think a healthy northern that long would be 16-18 pounds.

Tiny...who you calling tiny? smile JK

Gandrud Beach is just west of Peter's...first Peter's, then Baycrest and then Gandrud Beach. The Gandrud family settled on that side of the lake and where the historical

Gandrud Farm was.

Caught a few nice pike over 30 inches out from Peter's and Baycrest too however.

I thought it was going to weigh more as well! I had guessed 15...but the scale said 10. Maybe the scale is wrong? I have a picture but I don't know how to get it on this post. Tell me how to do that and I will post it.

Fish On!

I usually take a quick boatside length (& girth when possible) and do a little math when I get home rather than hanging large fish from a hook scale or taking them out of the water, esp. the warmer water right now. To each his own. I'm just not a big fan of scales. Lengths tell you as much and are way easier on the fish, esp. larger ones.

I usually just take a length as well and back in the water. This one was much longer than my ruler and the scale was handy since we were actually fishing in the tournament and had the scale for culling. To each his own...can't criticise a guy for what he had handy and to take a picture can ya?

Fish On!

Tried some night fishing Wednesday night...still too calm but had the itch to go out anyway. Went shallow with the F11 Vampire and started by the beach...couple of hits but nothing picked up so I scooted down to Peter's thru Baycrest...picked up a 20 incher within 15 minutes. Got a couple of smallies as well and another couple smaller walleyes. Had something on that just stopped the F11 in its tracks...I've had that kind of hit before and usually it is a big walleye that just grabs it and sits. I held it for a minute and then it just released so I don't know what it was. Nice night out but didn't stay out too long.

If you are going after walleyes on the big pond, I would recommend SR5s and Reef Runners along the weed lines (troll fast) in 10 to 14 fow, crawler spinners over the weed lines in 5 to 8 fow and/or jig and minnow/shiner along the weed lines. These tend to be the best options right now.

Most are still going after the big sunnies in 13 to 15 feet of water and having great success. Had a few guys in that were visiting and could not believe the number of bass...I just smiled and said it is the norm.

Fish On!

Peter's is Peters Resort on the south side of the lake just east of Halvorson Pt. Baycrest is a condo development just west of Peter's. You probably won't find them on the map together unless it is a tourist map of some kind.

Turned out to be a nice day today...forcast that I seen said 13 to 14 mph...I don't think it even got close to that. Nice moon tonight but again very calm.

Fish On!

Shot some ducks in the morning snd tried the nite bite out there both Friday and Saturday night fishing out in front of the school... Got 1 nice fish and another small one, but hey u cant beat walleyes! smile I was trolling a firetiger anywhere from 5-10 feet

I have heard of guys trolling in the flats on School Point with some results. I have tried that a few times with no success. I have worked Priest's Point by the bright light as well with nothing. I always hit the south side and always use a F11 Vampire. I am waiting for some clear evening skies and am planning to head out.

Hunted down on Johanna for some ducks...not as many flying as I thought there would be but did manage to get 5 on Sunday...even two bills with one shot!

Fish On!

Last time I was out it was around 68F but I bet it is a little cooler now and probably going to get even down a little more with this forcast...burrr. Low of 27F on Sat. with a high around 40F...wow! Might see low to mid 60s for water temps after that since Waska is so shallow and can change faster than most lakes.

If the moon would ever come out of the clouds...could do some night fishing. Might lose another full moon to cloud cover.

Should be a nice cool pheasant opener!

Fish On!

ya i had to check for myself on monday night.. went out for a couple hours and it was right at 54

I've noticed in the past Minnewaska walleyes seem to turn on when the temp drops below 50. Might happen by this weekend.

I will be fishing Minnewaska for the first time this weekend. Doing a cast and blast with a couple of buddies. We will prob be on the water in the evenings. Would anyone help a brotha out with a few tips to put a couple of walleyes in the boat? Thanks in advance.

Thrownflies: I would fish the points (Priest,Behrens, south side-any point that extends into the lake) depth can vary (usually around 15-18 feet) with jig and minnow in the evenings. Then if you decide to stay on the water, troll a rapala, shad rap or a Salmo Hornet in 5-8 feet after dark and you should connect on some walleyes. If the weather cooperates, the fishing should be good this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Minnewaska is iced over as far as I can see and I don't think there is any open water...again from what I can see. I have not been out to check the ice, but I would guess around 1/2 to 2...but be very carefull. Reno had several people out over the weekend and there is 3 inches reported there.

With the cold temps thru the rest of the week, I expect more people getting out.

Fish On!

Good to hear about the ice. I'm looking forward to spending some time on it this winter. I watched a few ice fishing videos today to get me even more in the mood. Gonna reline the ice rods in the next day or two so I'm ready.

Everyone I have talked to so far has stated 3 inches on Waska and there should be good fishing this weekend...probably ATVs by the weekend with these cold temps thru the week...but as always with early ice, be careful!

How much ice can be made per day with these cold temps...an inch??

Fish On!

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions