• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clearwater Lake Fishing Reports

FM's right. No need to go the that east basin, mainly carp and bullheads.

The road (from BJ's?) is plowed around the west end of Bungalow island and snakes over to the island owned by Camp Friendship. I watched them plowing the other night and it seemed to go no where in particular.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hydro

• Rick G

• noodlerod

• bbrad24

There was a road last year through the narrows but the folks at bjs said not this year because of the heavy snow falls. There isnt much ice there this year.

was thinking about fishing clearwater tommorrow to see if i could spot fish some sunfish and throw up a tip up, anyone having any luck on either? thanks

I would not suggest trying to get on the east basin from the west basin either. There is not much ice, and a couple of fish are not worth your life!

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I have heard that some fish houses are getting broke into out on Clearwater..so I hear...

Yes, Agusuta it is true. I fish the lake also. I leave nothing in the house, and this year i took the lock OFF. It"s a little more work, but dose put a stop to the damage to the house. IMO ><(((*>

Yes, Agusuta it is true. I fish the lake also. I leave nothing in the house, and this year i took the lock OFF. It"s a little more work, but dose put a stop to the damage to the house. IMO ><(((*>

smartest way to go

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I have heard that some fish houses are getting broke into out on Clearwater..so I hear...

I heard that too.

Just wondering if anyone could help me out does bj's rent out fish houses? and if so does anyone know how much they charge and what is all provided with the rentals thanks

Fished Clearwater for the first time this weekend. Slow day for me but I know a vex would have helped find the crappies in 50 FOW sicne they were suspended at a few different levels. Ended upw ith 5 ranging from 8" to 9" with 1 being almost 10" so I was happy with the sizes. IN shallower water in the afternoon caught all the perch cigars I wanted.

Heres a couple of things things about clearwater for you folks,,,

If you dont know where you are going on this lake ,, go with some one that knows it or stick to the roads...This lake will open up in certain areas for no apparent reason( personally i think the amount of carp in may be part of the problem).. NEVER Ever Drive thru the Narrows, period,, there is a reason the sledders cross on land to get to the east side ... And you can get to the east side if you have a sled on the snowmobile trail... I wouldnt walk the trail thou , it would be a long hike with any amount of gear ...

Hey Matt 320,, BJ's does have a house to rent ,, cost is 60 for the day and you get a choice of either a cam or a vex... and he dont do to bad of a job of placing you on the fish...

Lastly,,, Fish have been biting,, caught them all last week ,, who knows what this cold snap will bring thou

just wondering if anyone is getting any walleyes lately? Not looking for specific spots, just the general bite. I have a couple spots I have fished in the past and can't decide which to try. In the past I fished a hump that tops out at 29' and have done well and a "valley" between a couple shallow weedbeds that I fished in 20' of water and have caught walleyes. Which do you think is my best bet this time of year?

thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Is the East basin the bigger part of the lake on the Cedar lake side?

So then everyone is saying that the bigger part of the lake on th east side towards Cedar lake is no good for fishing and only has a bunch of Carp in it? frown Huum something sounds fishy here. I think the 12lbs Northern I got a few years ago came off that side of the lake and it seems like people are fishing Crappies over there? So I only have so many more legs to get pulled on guys! Haven't been on it for a while but will be trying it soon!

The fishing on the east end is good if you can get over there. The problem is just that, getting over there. I have fished the lake all my life and have seen this lake have some very unpredictable ice going from the west end to the east end.

Pulling your leg? But that's what internet forums are for!

All kidding aside, the east basin is a good fishery if you have a way to get there in the winter. I'ts 2 1/2 miles of rough ice from the public access, then you have to cross the uncertain ice in the narrows, then the east basin is another 3 miles long. All things considered, the west basin has many underfished areas that are much easier to get to. I have been on that side of the lake this winter and I have yet to venture east.

Rocky, Hydro

Thanks for some straight [PoorWordUsage]! I know there was some good fish over there but just have not fished it for maybe 15 years, so thought I would ask my fellow trust worthy fisherman for some good advice! blush But then I remembered "oh ya fisherman" grin

Ya, I'm as guilty about the tall tales as anyone. The carp, however, I would never lie about. Here's an east basin vintage one from 1989. Snagged in the head jigging for walleyes. Spooled me twice before I caught up with it. 32 pounds.

Carp.jpg

That was Frank Ledwein in the early 1950's. It stood as the world record until the 80's. According to local history he acquired it near the mouth of Plainter's creek at the south end of the lake, by the intersection of county 6 and hwy 24. He was a minnow dealer at the time and there was some controversy as to if he actually caught it on hook and line or netted it. Either way it stands to this day as the Minnesota hook and line record!

You even have a big "C" on the cabin...you carpmaster you. That looks like an old in-fisherman hat? '89 was a good year out there. My biggest bluegill(19 oz), crappie(16.5"), and LM bass(24.5") all came that May/June.

Been slaying the crappies this winter, Hydro? My fishing has been somewhat limited this winter. mainly been in the back yard on Mitchell with my boy funnin with the 8" crappies and hammerhandles.

I've been trying to catch the wiley walleye so far this winter, with mixed results. I think I'll give it one more weekend before exploring for the crappies.

The background in the photo is the old Narrows Resort's cabin "C", and that is the old In-Fisherman hat. At least I wasn't wearing my "Club Carp" shirt in that photo wink

that would be PLANERS creek hydro and theres more than a couple differnt storys about how that carp came into his possesion but good ol'Frank has long since passed so we'll leave it to hook and line ...