• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clearwater Lake Fishing Reports

Just wondering if anyone has any reports from Clearwater?

Ive emailed Bill at BJs, but he doesnt always check his email regularly.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hydro

• Rick G

• noodlerod

• bbrad24

I was out tonight on the north end. Two walleyes 16" and 19" and about a foot of ice.

The north end of the west basin?

Any reports from the area near BJs or the Waterfront?

The 12" ice was out from BJ's. The east basin usually freezes later than the north bays but that's kind of a moot point since there's no access point anymore.

Was out Saturday, 10 inches of ice on the north side of west basin. Just one northern, fished everywhere from 8-20 feet. Found out my chip in my GPS isnt as accurate as I thought.

Unfortunately, I learned this summer that my chip wasn't accurate either. At least you can put in a waypoint, and return to a spot when you find one.

It's no wonder Lakemaster's chip map is less than perfect. They actually survey the lake with high resolution GPS and sonar from a boat. To get every twist and turn in that underwater mountain range would be functionally impossible since they would have to grid out the lake in very small intervals. While it is not perfect, it is pretty good, all things considered.

I know, I'm not complaining, but I thought I had picked out a nice underwater point with deep water on both sides only to find out something completly different. Although we did find a nice sharp dropoff there, but from what I could tell it looked nothing like it does on the map. It also got as deep as 27 feet when, on the GPS it's supposed to only be 12. Our auger wasnt running the best so we didnt grid it out as well as we could have and really got a feel for the structure. Maybee next time we'll have to figure it out and edit the map.

Is anyone catching anything on fatheads out there or are you guys using chubs or shiners?

I'm going out tomorrow morning but I'll be walking all the way. I don't trust my 8000 lb whale of a truck out there yet.

I think I need a snowmobile...just need to convince the missus wink

Hey HYDRO, what did ya see, what did ya get? Just wondering. I got access to the Southeast basin, but I gotta take my Dodge Dakota out. I know that basin pretty good, and am confident in the spots I hit, but don't know if anyone has seen the traffic on that half the lake. Some of them 12-14 inch crapps make it all worth it, but not worth that death walk. Any info is more than I know. Appriciate it. Good luck to yall.

Well, yesterday AM was uneventful to say the least. Two of us were on the ice from about 6:30 to 8:30 without a bite. It was snowing to beat the dickens and the hike back to the access pulling the shelter was a workout even with the ski sled under it and two guys pulling. Also, the ice seemed to be about the same as the week before, at about 12" or so.

I would be very careful trying to drive a truck out on the east basin. It usually freezes later than where I was so I would expect the ice to be a bit thinner.

Does bjs have any roads plowed yet? I will most likley head out there fri morning try for some gills in the morning-afternoon and try to get to one of my favorite sand rock transision spots and try for walleyes till dark. Then maybe head over to the bay club and get a burger and beer.

I was out on clearwater today, nothing but bad luck for me, ( I will be getting a new auger tomorrow). BJ's has plowed some roads, how far and to where, I don't know. Left early this afternoon, the lake on that end was becoming a slushy mess.

The roads are plowed on the lake and I got to fish in the places I wanted. Found a few active fish. Most ran a bit on the small side but sorted through em and got a meal and had fun. The warm weather brought a lot of people out on the lake today. I dont think I have ever seen so many people on the lake at the same time. 12-14in of ice and a bunch of water on top.

anyone been on the South half of the lake? I got access, just not sure on the ice. Heard from someone some nice crapps out there, just being a little safe though. Thanks for any info.

Ive never been on Clearwater and I am sitting here trying to figure out the lake.

So heres my question when you are talking about BJ's where is it located?

Thanks guys.

Just one more quick question.

Where do I go on the lake, like a general idea so I won't be going out there cold turkey and setting up by wheelhouses?

Tough lake. Ive been fishing it 3 years now and Im still figuring things out. Id recommend picking a bay and working it. The lake is so big if you try to figure it all out at once you'll pull your hair out.

Been fishin it for about twenty years and I find new spots every year. Can be fun or frustrating all in the same day. Get a real good conture map or if you have a gps that is all the better and look for (fishy) areas and start there. Or just flock to the groups of houses like most others do and start there.

Hey bigslugger, whatever you do, stay away from the narrows that seperate the west and east basin. Bad all winter. I have heard of sleds getting wet through there even in mid-winter. Alot less pressure on the east basin if you know about the access point. Not alot do.