• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any idea when the trails are going to open up?

We are heading up Fri and were wondering when the trails open up. Do you think the trail across Crane into VNP will be open. I would like to do some fishing out there.

Land trails have been cleared in the Kabetogama area. I can't find any updated reports for Crane Lake.

Lake trails will be marked toward the end of December.

Hope this helps.

LET IT SNOW

The ice has not been checked yet in VNP. Namakan, Sand point and Rainy just froze up in the last two days.Ice conditions are variable. I would check as you go.

Duckster

Hey LIS,

A group of us down here on the west range are trying to put together a little snowmobile trip to Kab in February. If we can pull it together, we'll have to get out together on the trails. I think the last time that happened was 1983? My current sled may be a little faster than the 340 Scorpion Whip I borrowed from Maynard & Lois. I will keep you posted as to developments.

BassLaker,

We are gonna try to get your way too this year...big plans!!

That Scorpion was a ROCKET, wasn't it? I remember another trip thru the cattails in Tom Cod one night too! Things have changed for the better!

We got about 5" of snow yesterday (Wednesday) and it's snowing now - about a foot on the ground now for the season. Hoping for good ice but as Duckster said, conditions vary greatly. Please check as you go!!

Merry Xmas Basslaker and to all the FMer's!

LET IT SNOW

Bass Laker, Lois and Maynard would be proud that you have such great memories of them and the sled back then. Lots of ice has been in the making the last few days. A VNP maintenance guy said they expect to start staking the lake mid next week. The Green trail may be staked but with the snow I think the trails to Crane may still be off another week or so, hope not.

If we are forunate, we won't get too much snow and hopefully it will be light so we don't get slusy.

The VTSI, the group that grooms are land trails haven't moved off dead center yet, as the State and the Falls club have packed their trails, so they may groom most any time. Maybe Dill will let his crew out before Christmas. guts

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the famous last words of the Tom Cod trip were, "Don't worry. The Jag won't get stuck!"

Maybe it wasn't the sled. Maybe it was the operator.

VTSI was out yesterday packing down trails, they are having some difficulty getting over some swamps that haven't froze down yet.

My guess is next week I would expect land trails to be groomed.

They should groom up nicely.

Haven't heard from the Park yet as to their findings, lots of snow and bitter cold have delayed ice checks.

Lake surface is slow going due to snow drifts, but in due time things will be great.

guts

BassLaker,

It was operator failure mostly but you also had a bad guide! Cattails be deadly for 6'6" folk like you! Pauly still chuckles then starts sucking wind when he thinks about that night! sick

Guts is right too - L & M would be happy to have the thought...they're watching us from PI all the time!

Snow here up to your "cattails" now! Pauly plowed Sunday night and Monday morning...about 14" in the Falls. Looks like we'll have good ice and great trails...let me know when you're coming up and we'll plan a trip to the Cod!

LET IT SNOW

Please excuse...

Lois and Maynard...

is this the same Maynard who is/was a fishing guide on Kabetogama, and worked for the DNR?

and if so, are you talking past tence? frown

VOYAGEURS NAT'L PARK UPDATE 12/18/2008:

Voyageurs National Park has received significant cold temperatures and over a foot of powder like snow providing

for attractive snowmobiling conditions. The Green Trail which lies between Black Bay on Rainy Lake and the Ash River community is now staked and open. Patches of slush are present along the trail and winds have created extensive snow drifts. There are two pressure ridges on Black Bay and a noticeable pressure ridge is present on Kabetogama Lake north from Sphunge Island. All are clearly marked. Travelers in these areas should use caution. Park staff will continue to evaluate ice conditions between Ash River and Crane Lake. Thin ice conditions continue to be present near Springer’s Point on Rainy Lake.

Trails have been groomed between Ash River and Int'l Falls. Snowing now - over 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Merry Christmas!

LET IT SNOW

I looked at the Webcam this morning and it looks like the trail is staked right outside the Voyagaire.

i was down there earlier in the week. I don't know what those stakes are. didn't pay real close attention, might be the stakes to the land trail south out of crane. the trail between ash river and crane is not staked yet. so, it can't be those.

Lots of people go to their cabins - maybe they staked a safe ice trail? The park has not.

Voyageurs National Park News Release

December 24 2008

For Immediate Release

Park Headquarters (218) 283~6600

VOYAGEURS NATIONAL PARK

WINTER ICE AND TRAIL CONDITIONS REPORT

Voyageurs National Park staff has been evaluating ice conditions on a daily basis and has found insufficient ice to extend the Green Trail from Ash River to Crane Lake this week. The Green Trail between Black Bay on Rainy Lake and the Ash River community is opened and staked. Patches of slush are present along the trail and winds have created extensive snow drifts.

Caution is advised as there are two pressure ridges on Black Bay and one on Kabetogama Lake north from Sphunge Island. All are clearly marked.

Snowmobile Trails

International Falls to Kettle Falls (Purple Trail) – Not Open

Black Bay to Kabetogama Lake to Ash River – Open & Staked

Ash River to Crane Lake (Green Trail) – Not Open

Chain of Lakes (Dashed Black Trail) – Not Open

Ash River to Kettle Falls (Yellow Trail) – Not Open

East Namakan Lake to Sandpoint Lake (Blue Trail) – Not Open

Trail Updates,

Land trails in the Crane, Kab and Falls area should have been fresly groomed. Crane now has their groomer up and going again.

Trails look great on land, water another story.

Kab lake and Ash River have had lots of sled traffic so slush is not much problem along marked trail, no grooming on ice as yet and don't expect that anytime soon.

Ice between Kab and Crane Lake is very, very iffy. thin ice areas and slush in many areas.

As for fishing, a little action down by Ash River, Lost Lake, and spearing up on Kab still thriving. Happy New Year, guts