• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Odowd

Well, many would say that you're crazy by going out this early anyways. smile I'd be one of them; but hey, I'm grateful, becauase I don't go out in first ice, I choose to wait until there's a good 6" underfoot (& tracks to follow...) because of exactly what you said: potential thin spots.

Those thin spots could be caused by a nutty boater or any of a hundred things. He's got as much right to be out there as you do. To my way of thinking, them's the risks of being the first one out on the ice.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kodiak

• AceintheHole

• shakojdub1425

• Twins 57 Fan

I suppose there is some logic to that side of the argument. But wth all of the other lakes with open access, why ruin one of the first lakes that "crazies" like me can get out on.

You and me both, hope to see ya Friday morning. I have to hit Gander Mountain at 6am so I'll be there around 6:30.

I think that dude is duck hunting with his boat but it is still crazy to be bustin up good ice

I brought my boat out once when there was ice in the bays; the wind shifted; & found 30' of ice on the landing when we returned; & f-ed up my motor plowing through it. I wouldn't be caught out on a lake this time of year.

Ace, good luck & let us know how you do.

Duck hunting ? What do you do just slide the decoys across the ice. Should be OK just have to play it safe. Good luck to all and a Happy Turkey Day. This will be the earliest I have been out in quite a few years. Better to a 3-4" of clear black ice the 6" with a foot of snow on top

Shoppin day tomorrow. Gettin a new auger, heater, and camera. I'll likley be at thornebros most of the day lol

If I can find decent ice I'll be out sat/sun testin the new porty out

aceinthehole are you gonna be out there night fishing at all over the weekend? if so ill maybe come out what will you be fishing in so i recognize you?

Made it out this morning around 6:30am fished till about 8:30. Had a couple of flags but nothing to show for them. Got a lot off little sunnies and a few nice crappies. The ice is about

3 1/2". There lots of little cracks every where, you really have to watch were you step. I had a couple spots I was trying to get to that dropped 1/2" as I would cross over these cracks. I ended up staying closer to shore and fishing sbout 7-8'. I got my fix for now, going to give it another week to gain some ice. Hopfully things will cool down this week and give us another 2". All in all it was nice to get out but I would say wait another week to let the ice thicken up, then we can hit some better fishing spots.

Went by there today... there were about a dozen people out there. Few portables as well.

I plan on going tomorrow morning to see what I can come up with. Hopefully there will be more than 3"

Where were you at ace? Most of the people were straight out and slightly left of the access. A couple were by the first island. I plan on going straight out/left of the access - was it decent there?

4" of ice. Slow bite; tons of little bluegills everywhere. Few bass caught on the tipup and one crappie.

I'm going to wait another inch or two to bring my portable out. Then I'll really lay into it.

It's nice to know it's starting to make some more ice. When I went on Friday I was start out from the access. You still have to watch out for the path the boat made the ice is got to be thinner in that area.

Anyone fishing the north side of the main lake by the tree swing island? I know that was a little late to freeze compared to the access and I would probably have to walk around the boat path. Hoping to get out there Thursday night but don't think work will allow me to walk it during the day.

You should be able to fish over there. Just take the back thru the bay. There should a good 5-6" by the weekend. The snow did not help our cause.

tink3R/Aceinhole- I cannot pm you for some reason on here?? how come pm's are disabled?

I wouldnt mind walking out with you guys fishing this weekend with my own portable and stuff if you dont mind a wingman, i am always on owdowd all winter, i have the x2 and the green wheelhouse might have seen me out there the past 6winters.

I really dont feel like venturing out alone this weekend with the unknown ice conditions.

Are you talking about a personal message. I will be going out sunday morning it you are interested. I normally just sit on a pail but if you have the extra room I would be happy to gone you. I was thinking of trying aroung the islands if the ice is safe. There should be plenty by then for foot traffic. You can shoot me an e-mail at [email protected].

Is there an easy way down the hill from the parking lot in that back bay? I guess I've always left from the public access, but that is an awefully long walk draging a sled.

Well, you used to be able to park right at the top of the hill (that was nice). But the partying kids ruined that. So now you have to park out at the highway. There is a small parking area with a gate. It's still quite a walk back there, but not as far as from the boat launch.