• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Odowd

Got a little bored at home so I took the kids for a drive to check out the ice conditions. Looked like a good chunk of the lake was open and I swear that a boat was out, as there was a trailer at the landing and a portable house right next to the landing ice fishing! I know the boat broke some ice getting out and the ice must have been safe enough to sit. Anybody else see that?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kodiak

• AceintheHole

• shakojdub1425

• Twins 57 Fan

Buddha,

I am in shakopee as well and spend a fair amount of time on i'dowd. Keep up the reports and I will meet you out there for a crappie slaying (of 9 inchers of course... it is Odowd you know)

Twins57, I am hoping that I get multiple weekend nights to head out and fish at night. i'dowd used to be great in the evening time, until the high school kids came out to party in Dad's ice house and burned doughnuts on the ice for 45 minutes

Well, you boys with a fishhouse out on O'Dowd made it on Garage Logic today. I was hoping to hear a "Ray of Hope" but instead he played the "HelloHelloHelloooo, is there anybody in there?". Be careful out there.

I myself walked about 50' from shore on Bush Lake as it's the closest large body of water. Needs some more time, though. Maybe by the weekend for some of the larger ponds and smaller lakes. 8 degrees tonight, and hopefully the wind calms down, too.

Just drove by O'Dowd on my way home. There was a guy ot there with his fish trap. I drove up (on the launch of course) and hollered out to ask how much ice he was sitting on. He said where he was it was 3 inches, where his tip up was was 2 inches.

If that flag goes up, i would be a little cautious running out to it. Apparantly he is more of a man than me. I will wait to make my "Maiden Voyage" this weekend hopefully.

i just checked the weather man and he says mid thirties this week. I pray that he is wrong for one time in his life. If not, it may push back my maiden voyage.

I dont know how many times I can go through my ice fishing gear to get it ready. I need to get out there. There is only so many times I can run the auger, organize my tackle, and load the back of my truck.

Twins Fan I am thinking about making it out there ths weekend Sat.or Sun. There should be enought ice out front of the access. That is the first area to freeze over most years. I would be happy to meet up with you either day to try it out. Better to go with someone then by yourself this time of year.

Sounds good to me. I am not sure which day works better but I will be going in the A.M. I'll bring life jackets and beer, you bring rope and bait.

Friday or Sunday are my only options. Friday works better for me because my wife will be shopping.

I see you live in prior lake, I also know a few excellent early ice spots out there. But not quite ready yet.

I teach at Hidden Oaks in PL.

I was the first class that school when it openedin 89-90. I would like to make it to Paridise cove but I don't think that is ready yet. I have spent more time then I care to admit out on Prior. Very good early ice lake if you know where to go

Maybe we need to do an intra-district fishing extravagnza BA.... Of course I won't be around this weekend, gotta find a deer....

Once it really firms up out there, I will gladly meet ya out on O'Dowd after the little one goes to bed, usually 8......fish until 1am on firday and saturday's. I need to get back into ice fishing.....I have an extremely large one man shack (voyager) and a small one man shack that could hold two guys once the modifications get done.

Oh Yeah, yer wife is gonna shop on friday? That's a shocker

Anytime you wanna head out Pick. I go out all the time. Usually venture to Minnetonka or Waconia for some biggins, but will gladly spend some time on the local hole if you like.

Shoot anything that walks by this weekend. No time left to be picky. If it's brown, it's down. Horny or not.

Twins Fan I will be checking ice today and report back. If all is good I will be out there Friday morning 6am or so.

I went out and checked last night. You should see all of the bullheads out there on the ice. It was a slaying. I fished for about one hour. caught a small bass.

Not sure if it is worth another trip on Friday. For what you catch in the limited spots available, may be better off traveling west or north to find fish.

I got 3 1/2" to 4" in all the spots I checked. Some Yaa Hoo keeps taking his boat out and breaking a path out to the small island. Looks like he was out there this morning saw a truck and boat trailer at the access and a fresh path that was barely froze over.

I'll be out Friday morning. I just have to go to Gander and get some bait. The bait shop in town is closed till DEC 1

An ear full? For trying to extend the boat fishing season for a few more days? What in the world for?

As long as they can get out there, more power to 'em, I say.

If you have to plow thru more than 3" of ice you don't need to be out there. Even more so when there are people out there icefishing. It's one thing if there open water to fish but the lake is 100% cover whats the point in just driving around the lake breaking up ice and messing up you boat. It's even more of a danger for those of us who are fishing first ice. If you throw a little snow on top you will never see there path going thru the lake. You would be going from 3-4" to a 1/4" in one step.