• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New home made gear

Muthagoose

Actually I'm finally getting the hang of it in fact I may have the first batch done this weekend. Lots of brush work....

Ben,there's always room at school for a little brush and paint booth time.Bring a couple with ya..

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Muthagoose

• Gordie

• TylerS

• leech~~

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

What about the Duck boats? Anymore work on new ones?

Not till spring.Then I have a sweet little aluminum project boat....

You guys that are thinking of making decoys drop me a email.

If I get enough serious people Ill put together a weekend this summer at the lake or possibly see about using the classroom at school. That way we could all hit the BWCA.

[email protected] or [email protected]

fishcat u must be way smartar than me as i cant figure it out good job i like the boat have you had it out? maybe my bro can help me out with my pics he was going to come over today but i think he drank a little too much last night if u know whats i mean

Yeah I have had it out quite a bit. More fishing then hunting, but it works great for both. I ended up buying another boat this past summer that had a bigger motor on it and a nice fold down blind. I put my old motor on that boat and ended up breaking even on the deal. So I now have twice the horsepower and a beautiful blind for it. Works great!! for both fishing and hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys here's my first go around with hens.. I went dark on this batch and figure the next 7-10 Ill go light so I have contrast in the group like I see at the park...

I may lighten up the heads a tad with a few brush strokes the light seemed to wash out any highlights go figure...But overall first shot at it I'm ok with em. Again the next batch will be a lighter phase.Im starting the burlap on 18 ducks and the little honkers tomorrow ...

My hats off to the guys who can paint like no tomorrow OMG what patience you must have

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0104_2.jpg

A good friend asked me if I had a extra decoy she could put in her lily pond. So I tweeked one up for her Christmas gift.

Her house is red with a black fence around the yard so the colors started out innocent enough but once I put the gold on it the evil started..

Kinda liked doing that so I am now thinking some of the first ones I made can be altered into this type.Actually enjoyable doing something there is no pattern for.

Here's my first attempt at a novelty decoy.

Pondduckie1.jpg

Pondduckie2.jpg

It was fun doing that one.

After I finish the Blackduck's and Mini Honkers next week I'm making my Nephew's Kids Yellow Rubber Duckie Banks...

Thinking I like doing this more than Taxidermy...

Not sure how far to go on the detailing on the feathers. I added a little but after looking at SOOOOOOOOO many concepts and actual bird photos I get more confused..

I added a speculum and WOW does the metallic jump out in lights..

The feeder is suppose to be a hen, upright a drake...

IMG_0105_3.jpg

IMG_0106_2.jpg

Let me know whatcha think. Paints cheap and its going to be a LONG weekend...

they look great mutha but my only concern would be does that metalic paint have shaine or glare that may flair the birds just my 02 cents

But WOW I'm really jealous also. I gotta start a new hobby and was thinking of taxidermy until I seen these decoys

Do both, mount a standing bird then you have reference to carve by. We could work on getting you started on both hobbies.

The lights in my shop tend to make anything glow,once I get a Dk Purple tint to part of ti Ill probably shoot it with a little gloss killer.

Thanks for the kind words...

Ya know Elwood We are going to have to think about a dual purpose weekend. Decoys by day Cats at night??

Ya know Elwood We are going to have to think about a dual purpose weekend. Decoys by day Cats at night??

anytime mutha anytime I would love to have you down cattin. we need to talk I would really like to get in to taxidermy just cant myself to puill the trigger yet. you just got me one step closer thou

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got some time to work on more of the conversions I did.. Finished off the the rest of my Blackies...

For some reason the lights are making the green look GLOW...Hummmm

IMG_0109_2.jpg

IMG_0111_2.jpg

Looking forward to finishing off the rest of the conversions SOON...

Want to try some of the ADVANCED techniques I've been learning from the Don Mintz advanced foamer DVD I got for my Bday...

• 2 weeks later...

Lots to learn...Tried a bigger round brush for dropping in pattern ect.. Covers ground better than the pinstripe I was using...

Coming to the end of my 72 conversion block's, mini honkers are the last then dock sleepers..I have a long way to go.

After posting the pic I realized I had to add the red to the chest.

IMG_0117-1.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

DANG Mutha every time I click on one of your posts I'm in awe of yur work. you can really tell that youve done taxidermy.

Thanks Elwood

Playing with the brushes today,I may have created a new species.

A Padmallerigeon hen.

Thinking about a few in the spread.Seening how the "Pekin and Mascovy" decoys worked out west on local ducks early season it probably wouldn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Used to have Mascovey and Pekin mock ups for hunting on farm ponds.

That got me thinking that why not test a generic "Hen Hybrid" mixed into my mallards and black ducks this fall.

So I created the "Black Padmallerigeon"..

I see so many mallard cross's up here I dont think It will matter one bit.. Might even give me a edge?? Never know till ya try..

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well here is part of the new dock flock.

They are foam filled to prevent flexing.

Looking forward to setting these on the dock..

Ive almost reflocked ALL of my decoys except the mallards,have to use them one season before I flock them it was just to much work to just cover up and start over..

BlackDuckFlockedrehabs007.jpg

Ill post up more pics of the bills,mergie,ringers,buffs and Blackies as I get the detail painted onto them. Its been a couple benjamines and a month of solid flocking..

WD 31 informed me on how to make the flocking very durable.. I can rub these together with NO loss so thats not a issue anylonger....

Well let me know whatcha think of em...

Well heres my first shot at painting flocking. They are double flocked tough as nails.

I did have a stroke of luck a old family friend has offered to show me how to carve heads so eventually I will have better. But till then these will have to do...

Highhead.jpg

Readytogo.jpg

Again lots to learn...

Well before I attempt to paint my tiny honkers,figured to start on something else so this is what they looked like last fall.

The full bods behind my GIANT lab...

IMG_0968.jpg

2 painted and 2 waiting..Just flocking makes a flatter decoys. Well going to get them all done then think about adding highlites. Painting on dark is kind rough, LOTS to learn......

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Not sure what way to go for highlite colors. Considering they worked last year they should do a little better this fall. With the flocked sleepers on the end of the dock Ol'e Bitsy may get a limit yet off the dock yet,,..

2 Of 5 done

Like the flocking its MUCH easier to paint....

Lots to learn..Goes pretty easy with the stencils...

IMG_0158.jpg

Mutha-

Phenomenal work!

Wish I would have been paying attention when you offered to host a carving weekend. Anything ever happen with that? I've been tempted to ask you for help, but didn't want to intrude - now I see you were offering it up to one and all!

I really need some "mentoring" in the carving / painting area!

You wouldn't happen to be going to the Iron Range Retriever Club Duck Hunter's Trial this weekend wouldja? Would be great to meet ya.

NR

Im actually heading to bear camp on Thursday/Friday.I was kinda hopeing to get Elwood to take me catfishing.

Muthagoose,

Would you ever do a loon just for the...

Bleep of it?

You've gone a bit beyond, "hunter".

I'd pay to see a showing of your, "art".

I think the bunny-huggers would pay for you to give them a bird.

If not "THEE" bird.

If it was half as good as your decoys.