• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New home made gear

Muthagoose

Are there any artist in here? If so ever painted feathers?

For me its the by far hardest part of the project. Spent my free time studying and researching and its coming along. Any suggestions welcome...

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Muthagoose

• Gordie

• TylerS

• leech~~

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Did a trade for one of my Goldeneye's for a custom "Homemade" call......

Sings on the top end and says come to Mama on the low end...

IMG_0045-1.jpg

Got another online for my son when he gets home from Korea..

Homemade all the way....

• 2 weeks later...

MG,

Artist doesn't even come close to describing you and your work.

Keeper of the art.

Priest maybe.

It's in my heart.

But it's been put aside due to many road blocks.

Thanks for posting your work!

I want that spark to flame up again before I head south.

Keep inspiring all the young guns.

That is what will save waterfowling!

Don't shoot till you see curlies!

blush thanks for the kind words but Im just a guy who loves the outdoors and has been fortunate enough to be able to invest the time to develop my own gear.

Fish- I agree,its ALL about getting new blood into the sport.

mutha do you have any plan or drawing to go by on the boat you built was thinking of building one theis yr

No I don't.

I got a lot of ideas off the web.Do a web search for Devlin build plans. It was a huge influence...

• 2 weeks later...

It didn't hit me till a couple weeks ago as a tiny cackler was leaving the shop that I needed to make a few of my Herters 72's into Mini Honkers.

Since they would be life size,figured I would try something new. Used a replacement head and modeling clay ya know the cheap stuff in a stick. Of course I didn't take any in progress shots but I do have a couple of them painted. I started altering upright now for a rester so it will give me 4 molds.And for mold I used wally world silicone..

Only planning on making 9 floaters, figured since the little guys fly through here and they are way better eating than the giants there was room for a few in my new spread...

So here is results of my first attempt at sculpting. Cant wait to get them on bodies........

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

No I don't.

I got a lot of ideas off the web.Do a web search for Devlin build plans. It was a huge influence...

thanks mutha

Absolutely awesome work! I build my own rods and fishing lures, and know the thrill of catching fish on them is awesome. I can only imagine how sweet it must be to have a flock of ringers dump in on your hand created dekes. Your paintjobs look good to me, and as long as the ducks are dumping in, they are perfect.

Keep up the awesome work!

• 2 weeks later...

My next batch of decoys will be better detailed,mallards,blackies,woodies and cacklers. Been doing a lot of practice painting and feel fairly confident The next will be better..

I picked up enough material to add 60+ full body mallards the same size and with the same heads as on my herters conversions.

Been studying a duplicator/copier for carving.May have to make one yet. Sure would speed up things....

I'll post up some pics next week of my latest Re-DO.. I bought a Monkey Wards Sea King deep Semi V from a friend that took care of things. He started to redo it and his wife came home and told him to go to town and pick up "HER" new boat.. That put the halt to his project and I got it.The 40hp tiller motor laying in a empty hull on a trailer is how I got it...

Put in floor,deck,gear and rod box,carpet,live well,below deck gas tank and all the gizmos. A 2 year project finally coming to use.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Might have to paint it camo and use it for tending.

• 1 month later...

I will get better photos of the redo..Asked the wife to take some for me and this is what I got.

Keep in mind this is a 1977 monkey wards fishing boat.This should give you a idea.....

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

Sure learned to NOT count on her to take pics for me.

Again I will have more soon..

So anyone been working on anything? Post er up..

• 4 months later...

Well after a year I finally got to finishing them. Notice what they started from on top, I kept a pair of the 72's for my decoy collection. Think for gunners they will work.

Next are the girls a whole different game

Thanks to Don Mintz for all the help.

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Muth, long time no see. nice work on the birds. Have you done any more Duck boats since last year? You had talked about making a two man?

Mutha those decoys are sweet when do I put in my order winkgrin Do you make any Cans

BTW nice pike and from what I can see the boat looks nice also. I kinda redone and old 16ft Naden aluminum fishin boat myself.

The Naden we have one..

Yep I make Cans, heck any species.Been thinking of having a

"Decoy Camp" this summer over a weekend to test out the instructor aspect before I offer it at school....

That would be a cool way to spend a weekend for sure. Be sure to post it on here if you are going to offer it. I would definitely be interested!

I too would be very intrested in that mutha and do you know any thing about the Naden I got mine for 100.00 bucks when scrap aluminum was real high but couldn't scrap it its a cool fishing boat

Only that the father inlaw has it drug back and forth to the lake and NEVER uses it.They put a brand new honda motor on it.

I think if they are in good shape there worth a few bucks..

I'm now looking for the splash rails for a seacraft14"

Finally traded of my sled for what was suppose to be a northwoods deep 14 and when they came to get the sled they brought this shallow narrown double oarlocked boat. I wanted the sled gone so I took the trade come to find out its some sort of ricing boat..So its going to be my next duck boat conversion..

Now I need to get the gas tank for my wire feed so I can do it right..

Mutha if it helps and I know distance is probally gona be a problem I have a few tanks and your welcome to borrow one for a while if you would like.

anyone help me post some pics? I redid my dads old 16' Lund after he passed away this past spring. Think it looks really good. Thanks in advance!

fishcat . i have some pics on my phone but it a nitemare trying to figyre it out lol i would help but i dont no how to

I appreciate the offer Elwood thanks..

Ill keep it in mind as spring gets closer...

Fish4/Zach excellent thers post some homemade gear,looking forward to seeing it...

fishcat . i have some pics on my phone but it a nitemare trying to figyre it out lol i would help but i dont no how to

Posting pics is not that hard but there are a few steps.

1) Send the pics from the phone to your home email adress, each contact should have a area to put in an email adress.

2) You need to set up an account with an image hosting site, I use www.photobucket.com Its free.

3) Open photobucket or whatever site you chose and follow the directions to upload the photo you want to thier site.

4) after the Image is uploaded, click on it and a dropdown will come up, go down to the one that says img.... and copy it with a right click.

5) paste it in your post, thats all there is to it!!! It might sound complicated but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

snowdoes.jpg

Are there any artist in here? If so ever painted feathers?

For me its the by far hardest part of the project. Spent my free time studying and researching and its coming along. Any suggestions welcome...

Did you ever get that figured out? I made some mallard and greenwing silhouettes in august and got the teal painted and finally getting to the mallard hens over x-mas break and was trying to figure out how to do the feathers on the hens. I experimented over thanksgiving with the airbrush but dint get to experiment too long

fishcat u must be way smartar than me as i cant figure it out good job i like the boat have you had it out? maybe my bro can help me out with my pics he was going to come over today but i think he drank a little too much last night if u know whats i mean