• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spiny Water Fleas?

Does anyone know if the spiny water fleas are affecting the shiner numbers running up river this year?

I know the DNR was pretty nervous about what these critters might do to the shiner minnow population, and it's a little strange why the shiner run never really took off this fall. It seemed like the bait shop shiners were all a little on the small side this year as well.

Maybe the run just hasn't gotten started yet, but I wonder?

Gobs of Shiners in the rivers last week. Took a bit longer this season for the water to get down to that 44 degree mark when I think things seem to start to fire up major Shiner and Walleye wise. Most years we see water temps dropping into the low 40's by early October.

Those SWF's are now dormant I believe.. They go into a cyst stage when the water chills, settle to the substrate and hibernate thru winter from what I gather.

Shiners I've got ahold of this season have been running on the larger side too, even earlier in October, spose that depends on where you're getting them and who's scooping them maybe. They were so nice I was buying an extra scoop each time just to freeze for later use.

fiskyknut

fiskyknut,

What is the reason for the shiners entering the river in the fall? I've wondered for years and never really got a answer.Do you happen to know??

cdemeyes

(corey)

Emerald Shiners spawn in the fall. So the book says anyhows. I know one fellow who says they don't though. Ever see spawn in those things during falltime??

So, just for the sake of clarity Fisky, the big run is just getting started? I was on the river last weekend, and there were fish just up by the resorts, but still not too fast and furious.

The next couple of weeks should be good huh? Late run might mean fantastic first ice bite, but warm water might mean late, late ice.

Any ideas on how to fish open water when the temp is way below freezing? cry

Well Sam we had darn good action a coupla evenings last week and Saturday nite on the lower river, limits of very nice keepers, 1 nite 8 slotters the next nite 11 slotters, the other I don't remember off the tip of my noggin, 5 or 6 maybe. Bait balloons going thru all 3 evenings on that river spot as well. I do the river during the evening.. The last couple three hours of the day and I avoid the 'windsock' type crowds on the well known spots. 2 evening trips upstream from Baudette found us a slow bite, not much outside of the Walrus sized BIG fish I got last Wednesday and some weee fish, this was on spots that most years, and for many years have put out numbers as well as numbers of whales for me this time of year.

Came off the water after fishing the main lake Tuesday nite and spoke with some folks I know who'd hammered fish of all sizes near the airport so they are marching their way upstream now.

Catch it when the weathers stable and it should be darn good till ice up I'd say?? Alot would depend on just where you throw your anchor too eh!! Some years are goofy and I remember one in particular where the best bite of the entire fall season for me {size and #'s} was the second Sunday of deer season in 22fow out on the mainlake.

Forecast we are seeing now could chill that water darn quick, whats coming round the corner weatherwise after this system will tell alot as to whats to come. Temps been dropping all day today in Roseau, 34 now, high tomorrow upper twenties, overnite lows into the teens.

As to your last question.. A pontoon boat with full enclosure and sunflower head would work quite well eh!!

Iffin the weather permits when you are up next you may wanna hit the mainlake, Monday and Tuesday were both crazy good with fish from 6 to 27 inches and uncountable non-stop giggling action, 50% or more were 16-19 inch roundies and we got plenty in the middle of the slot both days. The mass amounts of weee ones that were so thick out there a couple weeks ago have definatly thinned out quite a bit as of late. A guy could pick and choose his preferred eaters.. You want a limit of all 18-19 inchers? Just put 18's and 19's in the box and your limit will be such!! You like 15 and 16 inchers? Same deal just box those then.

They were on such a crazy torrid bite out there those 2 days that I bet the highly touted over-rated and priced Chubby Darter would have even worked pretty well on those days!!

Now the weather had to go funky and spoil everything for the time being anyhow, hope we see a few days of Indian summer in the next week or two.

You've been round these parts {FM} a good while eh, shoot me an email and I'll give you a coupla spots to keep under your hat.

fiskyknut

Hey Fisky. Thanks for the great report. I am gonna try and make it up this coming weekend. I'm about two hours from the public landing next to Border View, so I gotta budget my time a bit.

I kind of figured the big river run would be about 3-4 weeks behind this year. Seems my guess is pretty close. Sounds like Curt's been tapping into the eyes across the river from the resorts. I have some friends that caught some decent fish there last weekend.

I bought one of Mike's (Border View) sleepers so I've gotta come back up and see what I need to get the house ready for winter. If the weather allows, I'll be dragging my boat up with me.

It'd be great to hook up and see what the river offers next weekend. I've been on FM for many years, and fished with a lot of the originals, but I'd appreciate the chance to meet you, and explore some water. I just moved back to TRF after 20 years away, bought a big sleeper, and plan to spend a lot of time on LOW this winter.

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. LOW is big, and a local rat's experience would be awesome to share. I always enjoy the company of anyone who enjoys fishing as much as myself.

Let's connect sometime this week, when we know more about the coming forecast.