• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sarah Saturday. A FM/HSO ice fishing get together!!!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eric Wettschreck

• riverrat56

• muc33

• Team Otter

When drilling and drilling and drilling, be sure to drill in the snow banks and don't tap your feet on the ice either.

You mean I can't stop and do a little Irish Jig after I catch my first Lake Sarah fish?

Are you going to be there TO?

Don't have to worry about not drilling on bare ice this year. the lake is covered with snow.

T.O. mentions that as Sarah is swimming pool clear, and the fish get pretty skittish if you're making noise.

Hey I've seen you, not sure you can dance and irish jig, but I bet you could do a lake Sarah JIGGLE!

Maybe with-out my boots and cover-alls I would stand a fighting chance, but your right, I may need to stick to jiggling...

You mean I can't stop and do a little Irish Jig after I catch my first Lake Sarah fish?

Are you going to be there TO?

It's likely that I will not be there.

LOL!!!

Will miss you, but the atmosphere will probablly be better off spared from all that auger exhaust....

Too bad you won't be there this year TO. We had a good time on the ice last winter. Should be an even better time this go round.

I'll miss the idling auger. grin Maybe we'll leave one running in your honor.

Loser

Ouch.

I have my parent's in town that weekend as well as some guide trips on the docket. I generally burn the candle at both ends but unless there's a 3-way wick, it's going to be darn difficult to make it that direction. Trust me, I will miss being there.

I hope Mrs Boilerguy can make it. I have fished this lake a few times and It appars the only time we catch any fish is when see is along. That darn Mucc and Boiler always lead me astray.

Hope to see you there Justine.

Mrs. boilerguy is taking Friday off of work to cook chili!!! Yes folks, if you havn't experienced Mrs boilerguys famous venison chili you're in for a treat.

We're bringing chili and a few munchies. We'll follow the traditional Minnesota get together format and call it pot luck. Bring something to share if you wish. I'll have a couple of grills on the ice and I have a cookstove to warm stuff up.

I'm working on lining up a few guys to give some down and dirty, nothing formal, tips and tricks type chats about a few things on the ice. One thing that makes HSO/FM so awesome is the people, and some of the people that will be attending are pretty darn good at what they are doing. I'm working on some field type seminars on artificial structure, sight fishing clear water, using plastics, various electronics, and my mrs has agreed to chat with any of the gals that may be in attendance on how she stays warm and comfey and goes to the bathroom. Hey, sometimes it's the little things that make the day fun.

We'll have various products on the ice for everyone to look at and get some real life experiance with, also. I'll have a Marcum LX-5 and a Marcum VS 380, Reel Weeds and Teaser Leaders, Otter Portable shelters, Jason Mitchell rods, various lures from Lindy, and a bunch of misc stuff.

Gonna be a good time out there. If you're on the fence as to if you should come or not, get off the fence and join in the fun. Good times are in store for everyone.

At first, due to the weather, I wasn't going to spend the day on Sarah. Well, the winds died down and my neighbor, riverrat, riverrats buddy, and myself spent most of the afternoon on the lake.

I drilled a lot of holes and measured ice. Thickness varies from 12 to 17 inches. There are a few perm shacks out there and I saw a couple of pickups on the ice. There are patches of drifted snow that is slowly melting due to todays warm temps and high winds. The surface was quite slushy due to the melting snow. However, the ice looked to be in good shape and once this warm stretch is over the slush will freeze.

I marked a few fish and iced a couple of average perch. I'm told riverrats Lake Sarah curse has been lifted but I didn't see his fish, so since he's a fisherman, this may not be toatally true. grin

As far as drifted landings go, the county park landing is in way better shape than the NW landing. However, we shoveled a bunch of snow off the landing and both are accessable.

All in all, I'd say the ice is in good shape and the landings are travelable.

If you have a sled or wheeler, feel free to bring them. The lake really isn't that big and 4 wheeler travel is quite easy and no need to fear getting stuck.

I'll be putting my perm house out by the landing either Thursday or Friday. See you there!!!!

What am I, chopped liver? whistle I was out there with Boilerguy for almost 2 1/2 hours, but wasn't really dressed for it. After riding in the back of his 4 wheeler, the slush soaked my jeans and I got a bit chilled. I wussed out and left about 4:30.

I still can't see how someone can sit on snow and ice and drink beer. Brrrr.

i'm on the fence but i will chime in probably thursday or friday. still have some things to work out . i will be wanting to drive my full size truck out . boilerguy , whats your thoughts on that?

I would say hop on someone elses wheeler, the ice was in decent shape today but there was some variences in thickness. I found anywhere down to 11" and there could easily be less other places. Also found areas where there were lots of goose droppings and they had very variable ice in them as well.

I averaged about 1 fish per 20 holes today, putting me at ~60 holes and deffinatly 3 fish.....It's a start though right?

Jesse, I guess that depends on where you want to fish. Would I drive my full size pickup in the middle of the lake? No. Am I driving my pickup pulling my perm house out? Yes.

I'll have my wheeler out there running taxi service for those who want it. There will also be many other wheelers and sleds out there for you to hop a ride with if you don't want to drive your truck across the middle of the lake.

Nothing "wrong" there is a large area marked off with thin ice signs where the aeroater is. I just wouldn't go driving off in the middle of no where with out checking ice first as it isn't consistent.

There are thin ice signs around the airator. Next to the signs the ice is still a good foot thick and I saw perm shacks and trucks next to the signs.

The ice smack dab in the middle of the lake is about 10 inches. Personally, I wouldn't drive a truck on 10 inches.

ok then thanks for the email i guess. i was un shure if this lake had a aereator so thanks for the "heads up" .

I'm planning on making it down with my 2 boys. We'll probably drive down on Friday. Is anyone else coming from the cities and is there any recommended (read cheap) lodging near by?

Fished Sarah last Tuesday night from 6-10pm didn't get a bite! Fished on the western shoreline 12 inches of ice...Ice booming all night long

A few of us SC Guys will be staying at the Wilder Inn in Tracy friday-sat night. Rooms are $40-$80, depending on how many people. Nothing real fancy, a place to pass out. It's about 10-15 minutes from Sarah.

Harvey Lee, I certainly plan to be there on saturday. I have to serve chili, do basic housekeeping chores and play cards with Kennedy. grin Maybe I'll even find the time to lean over and jig now and then. And to keep you boys out of the fish house, I'll bring some sappy romance movies to pop in the DVD player. Or some musicals. I don't know if I'll have time to make some of that jerky you like between now and then, but I'll give it a try. More importantly, did someone say something about cookies? smile