• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cougar sighting

fishinmajishin

Deer sightings have been down this year. This is our second year on the land so I do not have much to go by. What I can tell you is that last year we saw a ton of deer. This year it seems like there are less around.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrklean

• Dave S

• pinkfloyd4ever

• fishinmajishin

When I played that video in slow motion you could see that cat had the long tail. That was a cougar IMO.

Changed my mind.......I slowed it down again and looked at the first frame....I think that cat had pointed ear tips......I think that may be a Bobcat or a Lynx???????

the tail seemed long to me.....it looks like it is touching the ground......

Looks like a cougar to me also. Seems some people just don't want to believe that they live in MN.

Sure looks like a cougar in that short stint, and a black tipped tail (how long is questionable). On second thought I'm thinking Bobcat. It appears too short and too small in size. That short video frame doesn't give us a good enough view.

Post a picture of a deer using that trail for reference on how far the camera is back, height of weeds, brush, etc.. wink

I have seen a Cougar in person, from less than 15 yards away. They are big and it's not cool to see one that close. eek Cougars definitely roam MN...

Definitely NOT a bobcat!

From Wikipedia:

The adult male Bobcat is 28 to 47 inches (70–120 cm) long, averaging 36 inches (90 cm); this includes a stubby 4 to 7 inch (10–18 cm) tail, which has a "bobbed" appearance and gives the species its name.

The cat in this video clearly has a tail longer then 4-7 inches, CLEARLY!

It's a cougar, whether or not the video is from MN can be about the only thing to debate here!

I have looked at it at least five times and I cannot even tell it is a cat. I have seen a mountain lion in the wild and the tail is much more distinct. To me the view is not long enough or clear enough. It almost looks like a doe!

They say that a lot of our Minnesota cougars are young males from the dakotas trying to establish a territory. I will say a young male cougar.

That just doesnt look to be the size of a cougar. and its tail is black starting about half way down. That is also not prevalent on cougars. I honestly think its a bob cat- or even a dog of some kind. It just doesnt move like a cougar either.

Definitely NOT a bobcat!

From Wikipedia:

The adult male Bobcat is 28 to 47 inches (70–120 cm) long, averaging 36 inches (90 cm); this includes a stubby 4 to 7 inch (10–18 cm) tail, which has a "bobbed" appearance and gives the species its name.

The cat in this video clearly has a tail longer then 4-7 inches, CLEARLY!

It's a cougar, whether or not the video is from MN can be about the only thing to debate here!

I think cougar too, I got a buddy who lives just east of Gutvaldt's corner, I'll have to ask him if he has heard anything.

definatly a bobcat i have seen many bobcat before and the grass in the video make it look long. My budy has a large bodcat mounted in his basement and they look identicel bobcat_Imperial_NWR_092207_web.jpg

It's possible there is more tail there than I thought. It may just be hanging a little lower than the height of the short grass. The tail on most cougars is close to the same length as the body so initially I thought there was no way it was a cougar.

I agree with hunter4life. It doesn't even walk like a cat. Look at it closely. The black you see is the back leg. The tail appears short and white around the edge. Its right rear leg moves very similar to a deer, and its foots has the shape of a deer.

From what i see on the full screen and pause/play, i see cougar. The black i see looks like a tail, the head is smaller than a deer, and the ears seem short and kinda pointy (cat like). To me it does not walk like a deer, steps seem too short and fast. But i guess it is what it is, too bad it coulndt be on video a little sooner.

Tedl- Why would anybody not want to believe they live in Minnesota? Doesn't make sense.

So they don't feel they have to look over their shoulders on the way out to their stand eek

It seems when somebody says they see a cougar or have a picture people seem to question it and doubt the person or picture. This thread is proof.

Hey wheres_the_fish - you should submit that vid to the DNR and then to WCCO's "good question" to have them independently research the concept of wild cougars in MN. Personally I have no doubt that they are more prevalant than the DNR cares to admit. One of my two hunting buddies saw one in his headlamp-light while walking to his stand in SE MN 4 or 5 years ago. Right around that time the Pioneer Press ran a story about a lady in Red Wing watching a Cougar and its cubs playing in her backyard although the DNR denied they were Cougars.

WI DNR has finally verified their presence (http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/cougar/) and I read earlie this year that they believe their cougars came from the black hills. Perhaps the MN DNR thinks they hitch-hiked across our state but none decided to take up residence here?

I just looked at video, in my mind its a cougar. Tan fur, whiteish underbelly, long tail, black tip. I also have a stuffed bobcat it doesnt look at all like video. I watched a bobcat while hunting last season and they are kind of more compact and hurried in their walk, whereas this cougar is kind of on a unconcerned strut. I believe....

I say it's a bobcat. It's too dark, and you can see a pattern on the coat. The tail is also striped from the base all the way to the tip.