• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cougar sighting

fishinmajishin

Just got off the phone with a friend of mine. His brother has been out bow hunting a lot this fall and hasn't seen hardly anything. He usually has 2 deer in the freezer by now. Well, his question why has been answered today. He watched a very large cougar for about 20 minutes hunting rodents along a meadow/wooded edge. He's also noticed a drop in other wildlife in the area(porkypines,possum,fox,etc) His brother happened to talk to a neighbor who hunts within a mile of there, and that guy said he found a deer carcass in his tree stand this fall.

At this point I'm not going to say where other than central MN(about as central as you can get, too). I'll let him decide what to do as far as the DNR is concerned. He is a dedicated/honest sportsman and will not try to eradicate it himself I'm sure.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrklean

• Dave S

• pinkfloyd4ever

• fishinmajishin

I live in Big Lake Township and 2 years ago My neighbor saw a cougar on my acreage. the last 20 years there have been spottings of a cougar around co. road 4 & co. road 15 near the sherburne co refuge. Cougars do not like humans so they tend to stay away from developed areas.

This sighting is about 45 miles north of here. I guess he'll be a little bit nervous on his walk in to his stand in the dark now! Yipes!

I wouldnt get to nervous about it, unless you provoke the bugger he is more afraid of you then you are of him. With that said you still need to keep your distance if you do see one. There are lots of them in western Canada and Cougars cause very few problems with people.I would be more afraid of pit bulls in the area and the way people drive on Hwy 10 LOL

I know I'd be nervous no matter what the statistics are. So does the guy need to report it to the DNR? Would they try to remove it?

I would report it to the Dnr. It helps them keep track of the movement of the cougars. Usually if the get reports from multiple people the will check the area, looking for tracks ect. I doubt the would remove the cougar though unless it was threatning someone.

It's not like there is a shortage of deer in the state. I'm pretty sure I came across one at night last year. Long story short, it was not fun. I was in a boat on a lake and the animal was on shore staring at me. Never seen anything like it. I agree about contacting the DNR.

There have been cougars in the Dalbo --> Stanchfield area of Isanti County for years. The DNR does not like to addmitt to much about them. They dont want to get people all riled up.

Someone down here by Fairmont got a pic of one on their trail cam. I will see if I can get a pic e-mailed to me

There are also bobcats and lynx in Minnesota which are much smaller and sometimes people get confused between the three

I did not mean to say it would be...just stated that I'm sure the guy would not do it himself.

cougar sightings...I thought we were talking about Linda Hogan grin

Would be nice to get some more of these sightings on trail cameras. I know the DNR is trying to get an estimate on the in-state population.

we have a pretty good amount of em here in western So Dakota. We have a season on them. 35 cats until 15 females are killed. The seasons have been short because of the amount of females that are taken. Our DNR has dispatched several of them that have wondered into towns. My neighbor, 2 miles north of me saw one run across a gravel road, up a power line and it got zapped. Another neighbor 3 miles east of me had a colt get raked on the haunches by one. We heard thier cries a year ago off our back porch. A few people have killed em in thier backyards. One had the family dog in it's jaws. I live on the prairie. Friday's paper reported a Black Hills collared cat (Tom) was dispatched north of Regina, Sasket. which is a 600 mile jaunt. Another collared one was taken out in Chicago awhile back. The northwest corner of SD has several of em roamin around which have which have been confirmed sightings via paw prints in the snow. No doubt you have em in Minnesota.

It was rare to see Bald Eagles, Canada Geese, Turkeys, Opossums, and Timber Wolves in Minnesota. Now they are common. It seems Cougars are on a similar path in our state. These days everyone has a tale. I've heard a half dozen stories, some confirmed by the DNR, in Plymouth alone.

On a side note, I saw an Opossum trapped near Park Rapids recently.

At one of our local trapping meetings a few years back,[in central mn]. We ask the dnr rep if they would admit their were couger in the area. And his answer was yes. He also stated that many sightings were of peoples pets that had either gotten away or been let go, but yes their were very few and they were to be let alone. They [DNR] did not want people targeting them. Nor did they want the public going fear crazy.

They [DNR] would like to here of any confirmable sightings.

I saw one years ago. They are impressive. We had another one in town a couple of years ago. It was hanging out in a tree near a school. It was "eradicated" unfortunately, but at the time it was probably the thing to do. Living next to a major river, there are a multitude of sightings. Some are confirmed, some are not.

Regardless, I like to take a flashlight with me when I go outside at night. I would prefer to see it coming smile

He's also noticed a drop in other wildlife in the area(porkypines,possum,fox,etc)

I don't think a cougar would have the know how to be able to kill a porcupine. I believe fishers are the only mammal that know how to flip one over to avoid the quills and get at their belly.

Well last year he had quite a few around(porkys) and actually had one chase after him! This year he has seen zero. Not saying the cougar is killing them, as you're right about the fishers, but the cat's presence might just be enough.

fishinmajishin, if you don't mind, exactly where in MN. when u say about as central mn as it gets, i wonder how close i am from there. as the jingle goes, in the middle of minnesota.

my brother watched a cat with 3 cubs cross the road in front of him, and the vet and another neighbor saw a different single, but much bigger cat by the mailbox.

if there is cubs, they're breeding, but naturally, or does the DNR have something to do with it? I saw the tracks of one in our pheasant hunting grounds in a light snow last year. is this an effort to bring down deer herds, as we hunt in a very populated deer zone, if at all an effort by the dnr?

my first year deer hunting i saw cougar tracks down by Blue Earth, thing was the size of my hand, at least at that point. Have heard a number of sightings down there

Vister, the cat wasn't by Bertha. I'd say you're just a tad north of central, maybe even a little west wink My guess is the DNR has nothing to do with releasing cats.

BTW, been out on the stand? Any does hangin yet? Any buck activity after the "elder" has left the bldg?

yes, i've been out on stand since, when i can make it. haven't drawn back on anything since either, but don't get me wrong, i have still seen deer. Been getting bucks yet on the cameras, just not many of the shooters i had this summer. they are starting to rub, but haven't seen any scrapes at all.

Hunt the sunflowers, you'll see deer!

By the way, your post kinda sounded like you know who I am, or at least I should know you?

also, sauk centre was the town I was referencing to

FACT: Fisher is the only known animal , other than man ,to kill porcupine! Usually only doing so to take over their den to raise their own young.

Although you do look somewhat familiar, I would think it's just coincidence. Your location says Bertha, so I just assumed there. I grew up in LF(no the cat wasn't there either), and have spent many many of my days hunting/fishing in west Morrison/east Todd Co's.

You attained somewhat celebrity status here with your early trophy, and was just curious as to how your season was "progressing"(is that possible after a highlight like that?!) Also was wondering about the buck situation after pulling out the dominant buck(assumiung he was). Any others "take charge", move in/out, etc?

I was up at my spot north of Perham a week ago. Just a couple of rubs, but a huge scrape 20 yards from my stand. Ground tore up good 5' across. Ripley this weekend, the weekend after some fishing, then back north for the chasin first week of Nov.

Well if it is 45 miles north of Big Lake then you are talking about the Milaca or surrounding area.

I was talking to a farmer at the county fair this year and he said he seen a cougar on his property. He lived about 8 miles east of Princeton on the north side of Hwy. 95

I hunt the Dalbo area for deer and bear and have had no run ins yet with a cougar and do not need one in the near future. There is no doubt they are out there by all the sightings being reported.

currently at least one west of Cambridge - several sightings and trail cam pix ! here kitty kitty

Anyone hear of the BIG bull moose East of Hinckley first of October?